Cats and Dogs - Do they get on?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clairet

Reaction score
Hoping for some advice from my geeky animal lovers!

I currently have two cats aged 6 and 8. We've had them for about 5 years.

My 8 year old daughter has been desperate for a dog for ages now, and I would really like one too, but I am worried that it may upset the cats.

I wondered how many of you have introduced a puppy into your house, when you have already had cats?

How did it go? Any tips on how to do it?

Thanks guys :hug:

Hi, If you are looking into getting a dog, try and get a puppy, as then it will be smaller and not so offensive to the cats. However saying that, cats can be very nasty and if they do not take to the puppy they can cause it some serious damage i.e scratching eyes out etc.

My mother in law has cats and a dog and she has no trouble with them all living together, but they never come into contact with each other, she keeps the doors shut so 1 or the other are in separate rooms.
hth's xx

Hi hun,

As you know I would love a dog too, but worry about introducing a puppy to my cat.

My friend Sarah (that you've met) has two cats, one aged 12 and one aged 2 and for Christmas she bought her 8 year old daughter a puppy. They have a King Charles Cavalier Spaniel. I'd like to say that they are one big happy family, but lets just say the cats don't seem to like the puppy as much as they puppy likes them.

The cats are always out and when they are in, they just hiss at the puppy. The cats were spoilt rotten and now I feel a little sorry for them because they just stay well clear and look pretty miserable as they have been relegated. Its early days though, so I'll keep you posted!

On a lighter note my nan used to have a dog and a cat who slept in the same basket for 15 years and they followed one another about everywhere. Eventually the dog passed away and not long afterr so did the cat, my nan said the cat just wasn't they same, she wouldn't eat and died of a broken heart.......dear old nan, bless her !!

I think it depends on the animals really. I had a dog a few years ago, who got on really well with my cats. They would cuddle up on the landing and were perfect with each other. I had that dog since he was a puppy, and so he got used to the cats, and vice versa.

I've now got a dog who is absolutely crazy. We've had him for about two years now, and he still like to chase the cats around the house. He doesn't try and hurt them or anything, he just wants to play with them (he still thinks he is a puppy)! I think after a few years they'll all get used to each other, like my other dog did, but it takes time.

If the puppy is brought up with the cats though, I think they will get on better.

HTH
Heather
xxxxx

We had a dog and 3 cats,many moons ago,they all got on fine.

The cats ruled the roost,because we had them first and I think cats are like that,lol

We had our pooch from a puppy and he learnt that the cats should be treated with utmost respect.It would be funny watching them.

Cats would be laying in front of fire,dog too,then he would have a sly sniff,cat would just extend leg,stick claw into pooch's nose,just to let him know not to push his luck.He would soon back off,lol.

Just introduce gently.

I don't have cats any more, but when I did and was introducing new puppies to them...ooooh they were snotty beggars :green:

Pretty much the same as above....the cats took a while to get used to a new puppy, but usually after a couple of months they were fine.

What sort of puppy are you going to get?

when i got my dog , i already had a cat who was 2
he abserlotuly hates max , when max was a puppy he was very jumpy and stuff which just scared the cat so max did have a few scratches on his nose

the cat still hates max now and i have had him nearly a year and a half , the cat wont even come in through the cat flap anymore incase the dog is there :lol: (wating jaws wide open lol)

whereas i got a kitten about 9 months ago ,and her and max are best buddies . they play together, cuddle up together etc...

Doh I hate being a technophobe! Can't put the image on my post, so here is the link to it http://www.salongeek.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=2902&catid=searchresults&searchid=4212 That's my cat Molly who is about 15 now, Tristan my American cocker spaniel who is nearly 8, and you can just about see Max in the foreground who is 8 and a Lancashire Heeler crossbreed! And the other tired old dog is me!!!!

We got Molly as a rescue cat first when she was about 2. Tristan came along a few years later and she kept a very wide berth, but gradually hunger got the better of her and she would creep into the house. We then got Max (a 3 year old rescue dog)about another 3 years later and had to start all over again.

There have been a couple of hairy moments (quite literally), but Molly doesn't take any nonsense and gives them a quick clout across the snout! But as you can see from the picture it's now a fight to who can get to my lap first!!!

Doh I hate being a technophobe! Can't put the image on my post, so here is the link to it http://www.salongeek.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=2902&catid=searchresults&searchid=4212 That's my cat Molly who is about 15 now, Tristan my American cocker spaniel who is nearly 8, and you can just about see Max in the foreground who is 8 and a Lancashire Heeler crossbreed! And the other tired old dog is me!!!!

haha whatever Sass! Gorgeous photo, loving the jeans :green:

I don't have cats any more, but when I did and was introducing new puppies to them...ooooh they were snotty beggars :green:

Pretty much the same as above....the cats took a while to get used to a new puppy, but usually after a couple of months they were fine.

What sort of puppy are you going to get?

A little undecided yet - looking at a labradoodle!

I really don't want to push my cats out - they are lovely and totally spoilt - but I really would love a dog. As a child, we always had dogs, and my daughter is totally obsessed with them.

Any more comments would be great - and thanks to those who've responded.:hug:

i would go for a puppy,your cats will soon let the dog know not to mess with them as they sort the pecking order out.You will just have to keep n eye on them for a bit but im sure it will be ok xx good luck.We have got a german shepherd and my son plays with him all the time they are like twins my boy is 5yrs and major is 4yrs.Im sure your little girl will love it gooooo on get her one xxx good luck

My mum had a cat and 2 king charles spaniels and they all used to sleep in the same basket.
We also discovered the cat was jumping on the door handle to let them out of the kitchen at night!

I have grown up with a mixture of cats and dogs all my life, different ones arriving on the scene at different times.

What I've learned is this:
1-) When introducing a new one to the family it is much easier if one of the parties is a young'un (kitten or puppy). Whichever is the younger one, will accept the other as the dominant much easier than if you threw two adults together. Yes, dogs can let cats be the boss. I've seen it many times :lol:

2-) Next, declaw the cat. PLEASE. Nothing is sadder than a blind animal. And dogs.. well... I love'em, but they're just plain stupid:lol: One of my dogs was blinded in one eye by a cat, during the introduction phase. At the very least, take the cat to the groomers and have his claws cut to the shortest possible. OR get them capped with the rubber caps if your groomer has them. At least until the worst of the territory battles are over.

3-) Introduce them slowly. Keep one in a carrier, while the other sniffs it out. Then let them loose. 1hr at a time. Seperating them now and then for them to be able to 'relax' on their own. Gradually increasing their time together.

4-) They will fight it out. Over a few months. Accept this, and understand that it is NATURAL. Be it two cats, two dogs, a cat and a dog. This is a territory thing and how they will determine who is the boss. Now, granted, you should interfer in some fights. But, if they're not getting hurt, let them go at it. Let them decide who the boss is. The sooner that decision is reached, the happier they will be.

I've had a mishmash over the years. In time, all mypets got on famously, sleeping together, playing together.. It does work out. In some cases, it happens fast, in others, it takes a while. You just never know. I had one cat that took as long as 12mths to sort things out. BUT it has sorted out and now both he and my dog will sit with me at the same time.
Fights become less and less frequent, and they become more and more tolerant of the new arrival in 'their space'.

Hope this helps
:hug:

How spooky is that.... I was looking at labradoodle's too, I did a lot of research into labradoodles a year ago when I was thinking of getting one and they seem to be an ideal dog. I saw one last week on my estate and got chatting to the owner, he said they are fabulous dogs with children and for allergy sufferers too. He had a chocolate one, but I'd get a white one if I could persuade my other half to have one.

They have a labradoodle dog on Top Gear.

How spooky is that.... I was looking at labradoodle's too, I did a lot of research into labradoodles a year ago when I was thinking of getting one and they seem to be an ideal dog. I saw one last week on my estate and got chatting to the owner, he said they are fabulous dogs with children and for allergy sufferers too. He had a chocolate one, but I'd get a white one if I could persuade my other half to have one.

They have a labradoodle dog on Top Gear.

The one on Top Gear was what got my hubby started!!! I'd like a chocolate one, I think. Not sure yet and can't decide between a dog or a bitch.

Really worried about my cats though - you know how spoiled they are. Just don't want to upset the balance too much!!!:lol:

2-) Next, declaw the cat. PLEASE. Nothing is sadder than a blind animal. And dogs.. well... I love'em, but they're just plain stupid:lol: One of my dogs was blinded in one eye by a cat, during the introduction phase. At the very least, take the cat to the groomers and have his claws cut to the shortest possible. OR get them capped with the rubber caps if your groomer has them. At least until the worst of the territory battles are over.

Crikey that's a bit drastic and I really can't see any English vets doing this. If you think there is going to be a battle then best thing to do is put the cat in a cat basket and then let the dog go up to the basket. They can then get acquainted in a safe environment. This was the advice that was given me by the PDSA (an animal charity) that I got Max from, but thankfully I never really had much trouble, and they established their pecking order very quickly.

My black cat Fray is 8 years old and my Yorkshire Terrier Trixie is 2 the first 2 weeks that Trixie lived with us the cat spat, hissed and left the room and if unable to leave the room out would come the claws:lol: We ignored it, chastised the dog for chaseing the cat and after 2 weeks the cat pinned the puppy down and gave her a complete wash LOL. Now the cat always waits for the dog before jumping of the furniture so the dog can keep up when chaseing and they offten sleep curled up together.
I'd go for it, I've always found that all the hissing and spiting is just to teach the puppy some respect:lol:

I understand what you're saying Sassy, :hug:

But, all my cats have been indoor cats anyway. I don't believe in letting them loose to poop in people's gardens, tear garbage etc...get hit by cars....(as one was when I was a kid). And I only have the front claws removed. Not the rear, so if they did get out, they could climb a tree still.

And really, it wasn't drastic. I certainly couldn't keep the cat caged forever. One dog was blinded in one eye. Another dog I had later in life wound up with his nose scarred very badly as it was CONSTANTLY getting scratched by the cat. His nose started as black, wound up pink it was so covered in scar tissue from cat scratches.
The silly pooches just wouldn't keep their noses from the cats.

I'm not saying it's necessary in every case. But I've seen two cases where it was. Other than that, the animals got on and adjusted fine. In most cases, they sort it out quickly enough. Sometimes though, some animals are stubborn and don't like change and it takes much longer than anticipated (just like with people:lol: )

Thank you all for the replies.

I've emailed a few breeders and they don't seem to think it will be a problem. I'm going to look into it a little more, and maybe go and see a couple of breeders.

I'll let you know what I decide.

Thanks guys :hug::hug:

We've got two dogs and two cats. Both cats are 10 years old, the dogs are (1) A Staffy aged 8 and a new addition (2) Irish Wolfhound aged 1 now. The cats have been used to having dogs in the house ever since they were kittens, so it wasnt a big deal when we got a new pup after our Bearded collie had to be put to sleep just over a year ago. Of course, he had to find out what way the gtound lay, what was, and what was NOT acceptable to the cats. This wasnt exactly easy as 'Jake' is as thick as a plank :) but 'Nimbus' soon let him know the rights and wrongs of living here. The other cat 'Cirrus' is much more placcid and tends to get chased sometimes without any harm accruing, other times Jake licks her face (it's a dog thing), overall they all get on quite well together, so yes, it can be done.

Latest posts

Back