CCO Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mam, I think that them last 2 sentences are a bit harsh! If you are trained, and insurance covers the brand, and honest with clients, and clients are happy and returning - who are you to judge whether they should be in business or not. Pipe it down mam.

Sorry, I know that sounds harsh, but it is true. I'm obviously not saying she should be put out of business, just that using counterfeits points to a problem. When you start cutting corners on your products, you place your business in a tenuous situation. Planning a business requires planning, analyzing, saving, and navigating a sea of requirements - and most of us here did it on our own (no trust fund or rich husbands here). Like Non Standard Salons (NSS), counterfeits undermine not just the individual nail tech but the industry. Counterfeiting is fraud, plain and simple and a professional should not be involved in that. So yes, if you have to work with fraudulent products, perhaps you need to reconsider your business plan.

Last edited:
My tuppence is this, if I have to take to social media to 'defend' my brand, I'd be asking myself why I'm using a product that needs defending.

The origins of this product didn't start well. They were passing off, hence the legalities.

I know full well, as does the vast majority, how much money needs to be put in to a business at the start and to maintain it.

It's a pity that my brand vs your brand was mentioned when this thread was dredged up.

You know what I think the sadest thing is though? If people didn't buy these cheap non professional brands and people held their prices using quality, professional products, then you may just see less price wars, more flourishing business's and nail technicians being chosen for their ability over cost.

There are several professional brands that are low cost but top quality. I'd rather put my money with them, as opposed towards a 'brand' that tried to pass off their product at the beginning and are now turning a profit by selling to anyone at the lowest price.

This isn't a your brand versus mine debate, this is about using top quality products, taking pride in your hard work and aligning yourself with a business that shares the same business ethics as you.

Sent from my D6603 using SalonGeek mobile app

Well said.

Nancysyd, I'm not questioning your judgement or opinion. I think you have a point. But I think suggesting that shouldn't be in business because they are using counterfeit products - when somebody is trying to run a business, what you said is kinda a kick in the guts and unneeded. Hopefully, you're experience and advise will be taken on board, but just be aware of how people might read things. ☺️

Nancysyd, I'm not questioning your judgement or opinion. I think you have a point. But I think suggesting that shouldn't be in business because they are using counterfeit products - when somebody is trying to run a business, what you said is kinda a kick in the guts and unneeded. Hopefully, you're experience and advise will be taken on board, but just be aware of how people might read things. ☺️

Point taken. My advice usually is pretty straightforward and electronic communication often strips words of their (good) intent. I am very concerned about people using counterfeit products because I see it as a slippery slope to becoming a NSS. No one starts out saying I want to use counterfeits, but somehow they backslide into it, usually because they were undercapitalized in the first place.

I mainly use harmony gelish but use a variation of other brands including ACG, Ibd just gel and have a few bluesy colours simply because I liked the colours( I am insured I checked) I am always honest when applying and tell the client exactly what they are getting, and they still often stare at me blankly and say oh right ok when can I book in for my next shellac then even when I have told them what they have had on today IS NOT SHELLAC..,. I do not think my clients in my area anyway are interested in this whole debate and probably small talk with friends about their shellac nails so get it in their head any gel polish is shellac. I always tell them it isn't as would never intentionally deceive yet I still get these reoccurring clients calling up asking to book for shellac and I have the same conversation with them about it and shock horror even tell them the bluesky choices are perceived as copies they seem disinterested and just say oh yes just like you did last time whatever brand is fine and even after they have acknowledged this STILL go on to keep saying shellac lol

I was passing a local salon so I went in to have a nosy and much to my shock they were advertising as Shellac but had BS bottles 😳. I feel sorry for all the clients who think they are getting shellac.

I asked the question to one of the tutors on my CND shellac course and understand that any polish can be called shellac, but not CND shellac the brand is CND

That's been argued many times here on sg shellac actually means varnish, it's nice to hear that a cnd person said that

I asked the question to one of the tutors on my CND shellac course and understand that any polish can be called shellac, but not CND shellac the brand is CND

That is not accurate. This was resolved in the first lawsuit. CND has the rights to the term Shellac (capital S) or CND Shellac, for nail lacquer. That is why BS and CCO had to remove it from their labeling and advertising; it was deemed a fraudulent use. The word shellac (small s) applies to the wood varnish.

That is not accurate. This was resolved in the first lawsuit. CND has the rights to the term Shellac (capital S) or CND Shellac, for nail lacquer. That is why BS and CCO had to remove it from their labeling and advertising; it was deemed a fraudulent use. The word shellac (small s) applies to the wood varnish.

Lol this is turning into a grammar lesson now, a bad one- capital and small letters have to do with the use of language within a sentence or on their own at the beginning of a word .... so a wood varnish couldn't write shellac with a capital letter is what you are saying?! We'd better send this picture as evidence to CND so they can investigate 😂😂 ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1420836443.028680.jpg

Lol this is turning into a grammar lesson now, a bad one- capital and small letters have to do with the use of language within a sentence or on their own at the beginning of a word .... so a wood varnish couldn't write shellac with a capital letter is what you are saying?! We'd better send this picture as evidence to CND so they can investigate 😂😂View attachment 80919

Ha! That's funny. Try putting that on your nails!

But it's not a grammar lesson as much as it is a legal one. And I'm sure you already know that's a world unto itself! No, I'm pretty sure it only applies to nail lacquer. It is a matter of context - that placing Shellac on a bottle of gel polish that is not CND is a fraudulent usage. Again, you might take a look at the legal papers on this one - both the CND suit and the CosmoProf seizure - for a more articulate explanation of the issue, since the outcome was the removal of the word Shellac from the bottles.

Ha! That's funny. Try putting that on your nails!

But it's not a grammar lesson as much as it is a legal one. And I'm sure you already know that's a world unto itself! No, I'm pretty sure it only applies to nail lacquer. It is a matter of context - that placing Shellac on a bottle of gel polish that is not CND is a fraudulent usage. Again, you might take a look at the legal papers on this one - both the CND suit and the CosmoProf seizure - for a more articulate explanation of the issue, since the outcome was the removal of the word Shellac from the bottles.

Yes I know lol i agree with this and realise this I was trying to say that the capital S little s thing was something made up in fairyland. Any word can be trademarked by different people as long as it's for a different product or service.

It is refreshing to see some humor about this topic for a change! I was thinking of taking this picture and putting it on my website...
"The only Shellac you should put on your nails is CND SHELLAC" ...
Would you put THIS (insert photo of big can) on your nails?

It is refreshing to see some humor about this topic for a change! I was thinking of taking this picture and putting it on my website...

"The only Shellac you should put on your nails is CND SHELLAC" ...

Would you put THIS (insert photo of big can) on your nails?

Hahaha.. If I was a customer, I'd find it amusing.

Do u get more out of a bottle of shellac and gelish then? Genuine question :)

CND Shellac comes in 7ml bottles and Gelish comes in 15ml bottles.

Do u get more out of a bottle of shellac and gelish then? Genuine question :)

In a thread on here a while back, a breakdown was given for genuine CND Shellac and a copy. Although the original outlay is significantly different, the actual cost per treatment wasn't but those using the genuine article could actually charge considerably more.

I seriously don't care what other people use or charge. I don't know how much a bottle if cco or bs costs because after a quick look on ebay I have no idea what is genuine cco or bs which I think is quite funny!

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I know how much both products cost and when looking at it from a price per ml perspective it's not that far off the same :/
I think it's the initial outlay of shellac especially with the lamp that puts some people off, and the price of the training

I watched how it's made last night and they showed the basics of how shellac (in it's raw form) is made, quite an eye opener! Shellac goes into a lot more than just nail polish

Yeah they all call it shellac when they are using some other c.....p

I'm not ashamed to say I use CCO gel. It applies nicely, looks great, lasts well and my client love it. It is also easy to remove and leaves no damage to nails afterwards. I am completely open with clients that it is CCO gel and I never compare it to or suggest it is CND shellac. I have seen so many people state that it is unsafe and uninsurable which just isn't the case.
I buy it directly from COCOME and I have all the MSDS sheets for the products I use by them - which is why I am fully ensured.
If anyone would like the MSDS sheets for CCO gel i'll happily email them to you :)

Latest posts

Back