Ceramic Tile Table?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
A Ceramic Tile Manicure Table?
What do you think?

For a very long time now, I have been using a white ceramic tile for mixing gels with glitter, practicing nail art with nail polish and water based acrylic paint...
And it ALL comes off of the tile soooooooo easy without hurting it. I can use acetone, whatever... it comes off squeaky clean.

This got me to thinking.

What if, my new table was covered in white ceramic tiles? I'd never have to worry again about dropping polish, spilling acetone, dropping paint.... etc.. Ultra easy to clean.

OR if I did a mosaic one? Break up a bunch of different coloured ceramic tiles, and inlay them.
Like this, but messier sort of? No pattern to discern. Just a bunch of broken tiles (not the shape of the table, just the look of the tiles):
sp_table.jpg

I could get 'left-over' tiles REALLY cheap from the local hardware store. OR grab a bunch of different ones from their 'loose' stock that's not boxed.
I already have a 3/4 box left over from doing our bathroom. 5 x 5" each.

I've been looking at manicure tables available locally.
HATE THEM
So far, using a table hubby made with a cabinet, draped in fabric and covered with plexi glass on top. Have to keep washing the fabric because of the dust UGH:irked:

I've been designing my own table in my mind.
Ceramic tiles as a 'finish' as opposed to melamine or glass.
A hole for my dust extractor to be installed so that it's not raised and putting a crimp in my shoulders. 2 holes to run wires through for e-file and lamps so they're not in the way.
I thought I'd put 2 'shelves' on either side of where the client sits under the table to house two seperate small tunnel lamps to get them OFF the top of the table and give me more space and make it less cluttered looking. A cabinet on either side underneath the table top for storage (gosh, tonnes of art stuff LOL, clean towels etc.)

I find that having my stuff on shelves gets it all coated in dust and is an absolute nightmare to clean all the time:irked:

What do you all think?

this is a how-to on a similar idea.
DigsMagazine.com | lounge: MAKE IT MOSAIC: HOW TO TILE A TABLETOP

Let me know your thoughts
THANKS!

The tiles might be really easy to clean, but what about the grout between them? I'd imagine it could get a bit grubby.

The tiles might be really easy to clean, but what about the grout between them? I'd imagine it could get a bit grubby.

I was thinking the same thing.....what about larger tiles?...and really dark grout?

Yes I was thinking the same thing.... would the grout withstand the Acetone? Or could you seal them with silicone? Or would that be worse? :)

I was thinking the same thing.....what about larger tiles?...and really dark grout?
Dark grout sounds like a good idea, but it would show up the dust alot.

Well, as I've said, I've been "thinking" on it.

I'll have to go to the hardware store, and talk to the guy in the tile section. I don't plan on spilling acetone on a regular basis :lol: But I do 'drop a drop' here and there.

I'll let you know what he says.

You can buy coloured grout and you can also buy grout pens, so if it looked grubby after a while you can go over it and freshen it up.

I think it's a fantastic idea, very unique.

as i know there is special daub (masks the grout between tiles) which is all liquid-proofed, it resistent to water... & it doesn't react with the aceton for sure... it is really easy to clean as well as tiles..so think it won't be a problem...

& the idea with mosaic is great!!! i really love it!! it shouldn't be a strict ornament, can be just strew pieces... think such table would look really effective...& really unique (as it'll be 100% hand made :wink2: )... & YES, i think this variant will be more creative & interesting, then a table of "healfy", unbroken tiles...

look at this... just as an axample of such mosaics...i trully think that looks great!!! :Look_righ Mosaic Tables :)

Thanks everyone for your input, but unfortunately, I may have to toss my idea.
Here's a response I got to my question about grout and acetone:

Thanks for asking Victoria. Chemical resistant grouts come in two forms. They are Epoxies and Furans. Epoxies and furans are recommended for use in chemical laboratories, food processing plants and other harsh environments. Apparently acetone is one of the few chemicals that have a damaging effect on these grouts at any exposure levels. After exhausting my resources, I cannot find a manufacturer that states any level of compatibility with Acetone. It appears that in the grout vs. Acetone battle. Acetone is declared the winner. I even took the liberty of searching for a compatible countertop material for you and found that even granite is susceptible to surface defects from the use of Acetone. Wow!!! As you have found out, Acetone has no effect on ceramic tile. With this being said, there are many custom ceramic makers that would be happy to make a one piece table top for you. Check with a local tile retailer in your area for availability of this type of product. If you decide to go this route, Make sure the manufactures material (ceramic of porcelain) is glazed. A glazed surface is less likely to stain from your paints. Also make sure the glaze is suitable for floors so you don't end up with scratches from your tools.
Hope this helps. If you have any further questions, I am here.

So for now.. I'm "tabling" this idea (pardon the pun)
BUT
May do it in the future for the 'look' and lay a sheet of glass over top.

The things we learn about acetone, aye?
WOW:eek:

BUT

Well at least you got a very helpful/honest answer. I like the idea of the glass of top, think it would look fab.

BUT

...well...He sais, He knows... but from my experience can say aceton isn't such a biiiiig deal... we got one table-surface tiled in the kitchen ... i am not using thet table for my "polish games" constantly, but i had once spilled the hall bottle of aceton there accidently (my damn awkwardness!!..)... guess what has happened?!... NOTHING! ...well, the wood, witch was nearby gone blank a bit but nothing happened to tiles or grout... maybe if You not gonna soak all the table surface in the aceton it wont damage it so quickly... :rolleyes:
...i just liked the idea of tiled table soooo much!!! ....but the glass overtop would be also a good idea ... :)

I just got an updated response. He misunderstood the quantities of acetone that might touch the surface of the table (it's not like I regularly spill it, but we do occasionally drop a few 'drops'....)
Here's the response I received:

A glass top would perform fine and should show no signs of wear from acetone. I love the beauty and individuality of artistic tile installations so lets see what we can do to prolong our success. The following suggestions are an if it were me scenario not endorsed by any organizations. If your going to have customers hands on the surface of your table, It would be beneficial to sand the edges of your broken tiles to make your customers experience more pleasurable. To ease these sharp edges try using a course wet stone which can be purchased at your local hardware store or maybe even the camping or knife section of your local big box store. Just run the stone across the edges of the tile pieces at an angle so nobody gets cut. Broken tile mosaics typically require a substantial amount of grout. I would use an epoxy grout to fill the space between all the tile pieces. Avoid feran grouts due to their difficulty of installation, installing feran grouts requires the surface of the tiles be waxed, and steam cleaned to remove any grout remaining on the surface. Follow the directions supplied by the grout manufacturer. Due to the rough texture of grout in general, paints and other products that contain both strong pigments and adhering qualities can be difficult to remove from the grout when spilled. Getting a little acetone on your mosaic top isn't going to make it disappear. In order to increase longevity, reducing the prolonged exposure or saturation of the grout with acetone sounds necessary. This is the reason for using an epoxy grout. Epoxies have a substantially lower absorption rate than cement grouts. I take it you use acetone soaked in a rag to do your cleaning. Can your rag be stored on a piece of the 12" tile off to the side? Can an air supply like a fan be used to aid in faster drying of spills? One thing we have in our favor which I'm sure you already know about is acetones rapid evaporation quality. If a broken tile mosaic top is what you want, go for it. It may last 2 years (probably well over if the tile installation is performed to standards) or 100 years before needing some grout attention, but if it's what you want!! If that fits in your acceptable longevity time frame then you have your answer.
Good luck and if you have any further questions, I am here.

to which I answered:
Ok, that sounds great.
And actually, NO I do not use a rag soaked in acetone. When I speak of acetone.. I use it thus:
- I use cotton soaked balls to remove nail polish
- I use a mixture of acetone with alcohol to dehydrate the nails and wipe away residues left from cured gel with lint-free 1 x 1" pads. (I explained it this way to him, without getting into the nitty-gritty of nailcleanzer's, as the one I have contains exactly that, among other things)
- I dip a small (1 x 1cm) square paintbrush in a tiny monomer cup of it, to 'clean' smile lines(not expecting you to know what that is LOL ;-)
- On the rare occasion that I 'dribble" some paint (which is water based) I use water to remove it. If I 'dribble' some polish, I use a soaked cotton ball to remove it.

Ordinarily, my clients hands and forearms rest on a bumper pad and fresh towels. So, for the most part, towels would catch most spills.....
I would NOT be using the table to practice any art on like I do my single tile.
BUT I do occasionally dribble acetone where it shouldn't be... and so my plexi-glass does have some 'etch' marks from acetone.
I've never spilled more than a tsp in quantity.

So, perhaps then, a table as you suggest IS feasible for me?

And his answer:
Thanks for returning victoria. I would not hesitate to build the table top as you desire. For your table top. Start with two layers of plywood (3/4" and 1/2") glued and screwed together every 6-8" throughout. Bond the tiles directly to the plywood using a two part thinset system that consists of a liquid latex additive and a dry set thinset mortar. If there is a Lowes in your area, Try Laticrete 317 or 272 dry set thinset with Laticrete 333 additive. This combination will give you strong bond to the plywood. Should you decide to proceed with this project and further questions arise, I am here.
Hope this gives you what you need. If you have any further questions, I'm here.

I've pasted all of this, in case anyone else is interested in doing the same!
NOW
I have to harass my hubby and draw/design my table, determine my measurements etc... and off to work I go

whoooohooooo

:green:

(first, to decide if I'm going with mosaic - which is a bit more time consuming - OR just squares)

as i know there is special daub (masks the grout between tiles) which is all liquid-proofed, it resistent to water... & it doesn't react with the aceton for sure... it is really easy to clean as well as tiles..so think it won't be a problem...

& the idea with mosaic is great!!! i really love it!! it shouldn't be a strict ornament, can be just strew pieces... think such table would look really effective...& really unique (as it'll be 100% hand made :wink2: )... & YES, i think this variant will be more creative & interesting, then a table of "healfy", unbroken tiles...

look at this... just as an axample of such mosaics...i trully think that looks great!!! :Look_righ Mosaic Tables :)
I am loving the black and pink round one

Latest posts

Back