Charge less if working from home?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kays_acrylicsox

Reaction score
I encountered a very rude woman today, when asked about prices for acrylic nails I told her I have an offer on at the moment for £20 ( have little offers on once a month for 2-5days usual price £24) and she seemed almost outraged saying seriously I might aswell go to a salon?! I have trained with NSI in Manchester and have proper insurance etc etc. And although not the biggest treatment room I always present it beautifully and very tidy and clean in my home, this really upset me and got me thinking do you this I should drop my prices as I do work from home and am not a 'proper salon' as she put it :(

NO. I work from home. Ok we don't have the same overheads as salons but we still need to be on top of our game with training, products & service. We work equally as hard and pay the same prices to buy our products. Stand your ground and stick with your prices.

I encountered a very rude woman today, when asked about prices for acrylic nails I told her I have an offer on at the moment for £20 ( have little offers on once a month for 2-5days usual price £24) and she seemed almost outraged saying seriously I might aswell go to a salon?! I have trained with NSI in Manchester and have proper insurance etc etc. And although not the biggest treatment room I always present it beautifully and very tidy and clean in my home, this really upset me and got me thinking do you this I should drop my prices as I do work from home and am not a 'proper salon' as she put it :(

Don't you dare!!!

This stuff really angers me.

You are qualified, insured and declare to HMRC. Just cos you don't have a swanky shop does not mean your time, expertise, hygiene/health and safety or client care is any lesser than anyone else.

Tell her fine, go to another salon. Send her to a NSS and then see what happens down the line when her nail beds are throbbing from over zealous filing!

Stick to your guns or I shall drive up the M56 and hit you with a wet kipper x

Thank you girls and Williams that made me laugh :) i like to hope certainly the nice genuine clients of ours do not think same as rude woman and more this way :s! :) x

Don't you dare!!!

This stuff really angers me.

You are qualified, insured and declare to HMRC. Just cos you don't have a swanky shop does not mean your time, expertise, hygiene/health and safety or client care is any lesser than anyone else.

Tell her fine, go to another salon. Send her to a NSS and then see what happens down the line when her nail beds are throbbing from over zealous filing!

Stick to your guns or I shall drive up the M56 and hit you with a wet kipper x

This exactly!! Lol.
Don't let people tell you what you should be charging, if she can't afford your services she can't have them, simple xx

I think £24 is cheap I have a treatment room at home and charge £30. send her to me she'll have a heart attack and soon be back to you for £20 nail :) Xx

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using SalonGeek

Hey Honey

Take no notice of her. As said you have trained and bought products the same as anyone working in a salon, why should you lower your prices? Stick to your prices hun and pay no mind to this woman. I think there is sometime a common misconception by clients (and yes I used to be one of them) that working from home or mobile = lower prices. I think i write this story a lot on sg but here goes again (sorry for the repeat) I used to pay hardly anything for a cut from a mobile stylist, i then met a fellow geek on here and i have now switched to her. I now pay round two and a half times more for her to come to my home.... why? Because not only does she give me an amazing cut, she provides a top notch service, no less than bringing her own backwash, i get a head and shoulder massage and she she knows her smarts. She has been in the industry for many years, still loves it and learns from it and likes to introduce new products keeping her business fresh. For me my mobile cut and blow dry isnt just about how well someone cuts my hair, its about the experience they give me. So you see hun, you will get those that behave like your lady but there are also other out there who understand and appreciate your service overall.

I work mobile, rent a spa cabin on an as and when basis and also will shortly have a home treatment room too. My prices are the same which ever location they choose and i make damn sure that my website shows why i am confident enough to charge the prices i charge and know that they are worth that price too. any clients i get on the phone i also hit them with my smarts so they know the kind of service i offer as well. its then up to them to decide who they want to style their nails. a location does not maketh the nail tech!

love n hugs xxx

Oooh I had to come back and see if anyone had replied...

I've had a few like that over the last 3 yrs but now I don't let it get to me anymore.

I think I'm good at what I do and time spent working is time away from my son so I want paying properly.

I'm a business not a hobbyist/charity.

Agreed working from home is less overheads but we still have rent/mortgages, electric, gas, water rates, council tax, phone/net bill, tax, NI, insurance.

These are the fundamental bills to operate a building and career.

Some people just don't think.

H x

Grrrrr doesn't it make you so cross!

I, like all of you geeks have worked really hard to train and never bought products based on how cheap they are! I use good quality products and feel my customers get excellent value for money, even if they do come to my home for their treatment.

Working from home means they don't pay for parking, are usually local so don't travel far or into busy towns. My clients get a personalised service and as I'm not booked back to back their treatments aren't cut down to fit into an unrealistic timeslot! If a small number of people don't like that then head off to a salon and pay the price!

Rant over :lol:

Thank you Girlies completely agree :) have a 6month old son too so would like my business to be worth my while and for those without children we all work hard and should be able to and deserve to deep the benefits! All comp right I'm too polite sometimes and always want to be friendly and kind so need to build on replying to these rude people nice yet effectivly x because she knows my partners sister (not exactly family then of course) she wanted me to do them for £10 and believed she was offering me a favour! Whatever we charge think we should be atleast making over the national minimum wage, as time with client Inc (they don't realise) all our time and effort preping before they come lighting candles heating room well, maintaing clean welcoming place, and tidying up afterwards not to mention time we spend ordering products, Stock taking, creating promo ideas/ advertising, keeping records correct and updated, further training and retail, not to mention the girls who do mobile I salute you! For efficiently packing and carrying everything you need-getting there-setting up and coming out and then going home is a skill that would stress me out no end think we should all be proud we are independent clever articulate girls making our own money and think we all must deserve a full luxury spa package at the end of some of our weeks/days!:) or of course a gorgeously scented bubbly bath:D!x

Latest posts

Back