Cheap, cheap beauty treatments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not trying to start a row. I don't tend to discuss these things with my clients no , I've no need to . This is a public forum , you gave your opinion & I gave mine....it's allowed. No need to be rude and aggressive - I wasn't .

If you read my reply correctly I said 9/10!
You directly picked me out to have a dig! If you charge £15 that's up to you. Its is rude when your telling me not to 'assume things'. I didnt ask for your opinion in the first place so give it to someone that wants it. Like the person that originally posted this thread...

so do you both agree you charge what you can in your area and do the best job you can do ?

If you read my reply correctly I said 9/10!
You directly picked me out to have a dig! If you charge £15 that's up to you. Its is rude when your telling me not to 'assume things'. I didnt ask for your opinion in the first place so give it to someone that wants it. Like the person that originally posted this thread...

I do find it wrong when people wrongly assume things I make no apologies for that . But seriously calm down and stop being rude , I haven't been rude to you or aggressive so why you feel the need to be rude to me I do not know.

I do find it wrong when people wrongly assume things I make no apologies for that . But seriously calm down and stop being rude , I haven't been rude to you or aggressive so why you feel the need to be rude to me I do not know.

Like i said....pick a row with somebody else!

Like i said....pick a row with somebody else!

You are the one posting rudely & aggressively . I am the one posting calmly and politely .

Price yourself at a decent price (and you are) ... Let the cheapies go elsewhere. Not everyone is a tight a***! Might seem scary for a few weeks, but in the end you will win and have better quality clients. We charge 28 €. And proud of it.

I agree with you Geeg x

Yep I've been noticing lots of cheap services lately :( someone doing acrylics for £12.50 😱
Ok they look like a 12.50 job but she had lots of comments for people asking to book in.
What I hate is even some of the parents up my child's school have told me I'm to expensive, I Charge the going rate for my area so stood my ground on my prices.
I've come to accepts that there are people who wants a cheap beauty service and people who want a quality service, I want the quality clients so I've just turned a blind eye to these adds/fb pages and concentrate on my business

£12.50 thats shocking!!! :eek:

What makes you think that the taxman ISN'T looking at Facebook?

The taxman is not stupid. They really do catch people.

To be fair it's probably one of the best ways of finding them lol x

It's so sad as business must be getting affecting by this & to be honest they clearly can't e making any money or paying Tax for that matter, the tax man would have a field day on Facebook! I think even going mobile should put fuel & time expenses which should I feel be same as salon prices just my opinion thou

I am mobile and charge £20 for shellac, the local salons charge £15! I am thinking about putting it up to nearer £25 though as I think it's worth every penny! :)

Reading this has made me think.....I actually don't see a problem offering a genuine discounted treatment :?:

I am surrounded by salons offering shellac a lot more expensive than me, I've been away yfor a while while these salons opened and wanted to offer good discounts to entice old clients back, Shellac and Gelish we're the chosen treatments to discount.

I own my salon and if I don't get a wage that week I'm only hurting myself and getting £10 for a shellac means the other salons are not getting £25 that day..I'm probably at the other end of the argument and can't actually believe the prices charged for some treatments, some salons are actually greedy in my opinion. Don't forget that £10 for a shellac or gelish is still profit...not much but it's not free.

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh but that's the nature of business. I've had clients come back to me from other salons who have been told "she's using cheap stuff off eBay to be able to charge that" I am not and once clients see that I'm genuine in my offers they look forward to the following months offers and happily try treatments they wouldn't normally....

It's your prerogative to charge what you want for your treatments, but there's no getting away from the fact that offering shellac for a tenner devalues the brand. It's a process of attrition; if more and more people offer it at a v low price then the public perceive it as a cheap brand, making it ever more difficult to those salons who DO have staff and overheads to charge it out correctly.

I know we train hard and yes the treatment is worth it etc, I just think in this climate... And I do have staff to pay... Limited time offers can be the difference between meeting those costs and twiddling thumbs. I obviously wouldn't continue long term at those prices.

Hmm the salon round the corner from where I'm based have Shellac advertised on their website for £15 . Given that the salon belongs to a CND educator I highly doubt she doesn't care or use the correct equipment.

My shellac starts at £15 - 1. Im not just doing it for abit of extra cash . 2. I do care about how long my clients nails last. 3. My regular clients come every two weeks without fail for their reshellacs ( chip free and perfect apart from regrowth. 4. I use all the correct CND products , equipment & procedure.
Sadly where I am based I couldnt get away with charging £25 , and trust me Ive tried.

Its very wrong for people to assume that because someone is charging what you consider to be a cheap price that they are doing a bad job or not using the right products/equipment. My price is actually considered high where i am as im surrounded by mobile and at home techs charging £10 .

cant agree enough! yes there are the ones that dont use right products etc etc but then there are others that do.

sadly not everyone can afford £25-£30 , i can afford it but i would not pay that not for 2 weeks, realistically how many ppl can afford 50 a month on there nails.

if your lucky to have well off clients then thats fab but not everyone has these clients, i have a client that can not afford to have her nails done she is a single mum bringing up 3 children and works 2 jobs and struggles she has her nails done in shellac once a month and i know that she has scrapped that money together she always goes for the light colours and pretty much same one each time and touches it up (regrowth) with a very similiar colour.. this is her one and only treat a month and i know that it is def the one and only treat plus an hour of her me time...

its too easy to knock the cheaper salons/mobile therapists but each business is its own and only that business owner knows what is happening with that business, never assume that because there cheap they make no money.

I have a lot of this in my area including 2 treatments of micro dermabrsion for the price of £38, mink lashes £24 etc etc and no this girl is not training and has a room set up in a unit where it is cold! and not sufficient water that she cannot do pedicures!

As for Therapists that also charge cheap prices and are training, they should state the reason for the price!
It really is not fair on all of us, beauty products are not cheap, you even have to pay for pos and samples, unlike other companies, how they make their money i would love to know, its a pity there is not more legislation !:evil:

Maybe people charge less as they need to build client base up. I have been doing nails since sept and I offer 30% discount till the end of dec I always tell my clients that I am newly qualified that's why the prices are at a discount.

I am not going to please some people writing this. But in my experience special monthly offers will help to pull in the clients. But change it every month and try to vary the treatments you put the offers on. I've seen salons come and go over the 10 years ive been in business. I love my job but even I don't want to be doing it for minimum wage or less?!? If your in the job for the long haul, enjoy it and make it worth your while. I really think if you earning little money for a long time you will lose your passion. I know not many people have regular manicures now but when I started in the industry £10 for a basic manicure was considered low. 10 years on and with the introduction of shellac and gelish to name a just two I find it hard to see why some charge in the way that they do. If a client can get a treatment for £10 they do it for the price. It will be very hard to increase these prices. It would have to be very small increases which would mean you working for little money for a very long time. By changing your offers on a monthly basis your reminding the client of the true value of what you do.

Agreed - I run monthly specials with an expiry date. I don't discount though, I generally add a service, like luxury manicure added onto a shellac fingers.

O god...... It's all so frustrating how much these people charge!! I am know of a therapist who has introduced acrylics to the treatment list using cnd products was charging £5 for a full set but now the price is up to £10!!!! I don't even know if that covers the actual cost let alone once you e added your time!!

I've noticed two nail salons near where I live have recently gone under. They started off with £12.50 Shellac manicures (blue sky not CND) and then discounted to £10 with one of them ending up charging 2 for £12. The cheaper they got the less busy they became.

I do wonder if those two local salons actually knew how much each service cost them to carry out. Whenever I start a new treatment the first thing I do is a costing to the last cotton wool pad of what it costs to do that treatment. Add to that the cost of my time and I would personally rather do one client at full price than 2 at half price as that leaves me time to do other treatments and I'm being paid a true reflection of my experience and the training I've undertaken.

This is just the way I work and everyone is entitled to charge what they like but just make sure you know your bottom line - are you being paid what you're worth?

Latest posts

Back