"Chemical Cut" Nightmare, is there an end in sight?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aubreyg5

Reaction score
Okay ladies..I need some serious help. Last January I got a lovely "chemical cut". I have red hair-very vibrant red hair with blonde streaks in it, that I was stripping to go to a strawberry blonde. The girl who did it, went to cosmetology school with me, and I thought she wouldn't be dumb enough to put bleach on bleach and anything over a 20 volume, welp... she did. She put a 30 or 40 volume on my whole head, stuck me under a dryer- I should have known better but she assured me it would be fine, and needless to say my long thick shiny hair turned into spagetti. I couldn't even get it wet for over a week. It was horrible. Clumps coming out, it was breaking off to about 3 inches from my scalp- my hair was probably 16-18inches long before this and now it hardley reaches my shoulders!!! I had to cut bangs and basically short layers all over. I tried to salvage the length as much as possible, but it just keeps getting shorter and shorter!! I haven't gotten a hair cut since september, but it keeps snapping off in the back, I have the lovely mullet thing going on. I couldn't take it anymore. Instead of my hair growing more over 8 months it just seems to get shorter and shorter and shorter. Needless to say I bought tape hair extentions, (really I bought weaving hair and hair wefting tape and made my own tape extentions with the help of a site I found called lovehairweftingtape.com) I have had them in for about 6 weeks and I could feel the glue on the tape exposing and they were catching other hairs so I took them out last night. And boy was I in for a horrible surprise! The hair in the back and underneath seems shorter again!! The hair that is on top of my head is finally healthy because I cut so much of it off, but the back just keeps snapping and breaking! I would love to reinstall the wefts- but now I am wondering if I am doing more harm than good? Should I not put in the hair? I am worried I am doing irreversable damage! It has almost been a year and my hair keeps getting shorter and shorter! I am so upset, I was always the one with beautiful think long hair and now it is a mess, a mullet and just won't stop breaking! I would love some input or other stories from people that have successfully worn these extentions and grown out their damage. I don't want to walk around with my hair in a clip all the time, I want to wear these extentions, but I do not want to keep losing any progress. PLEASE HELP!!!

The weight of the wefts is quite possibly making it worse. If your hair is badly damaged you would be better to give it a rest all together and focus on reconstructing treatments.
If I was in your situation I'd go get it shorter get all the damage cut out and start afresh instead of trying to conceal the damage whilst causing more .

Argan oil all the time

I have pretty much left my hair alone since the incident happene in January. I want to be honest, I have never had my hair short and that terifies me lol! It's only the bottom 3 inches in the back that seem thin and damaged. I have cut of 85% of the damage, and to feel myself I want to have the extentions. I have done so much research on the tape extentions and haven't found any horror stories. So really I want to know if anyone has grown hair out while having them in so it is less shocking to look at through the growing out process.

I would use lots of conditioning treatments & instead of weft hair / bonds ect I would get a halo :) amazing extensions on a wire! X

I feel your pain! The same thing happened to me in 2010...

I used clip ins when I needed the extra confidence, ie) if I was going out etc..

But there is really nothing that can bring back the hair to 100% health once its been that damaged by chemicals.. Just be really patient, I know its easy for me to say but in talking from experience here. It took me about a year to restore the better parts of my hair and I had to get rid of the "unsalvageable" bits because it would of been pointless to keep it..

Anyway, after all the waiting it will be worthwhile if you go about it the right way.. There is no other way around it to be honest.

Be sure to use oil and conditioning treatments on the healthy parts after you've trimmed off the damage too as this will do it the world of good and help the growth.

Good luck :)

Xx

I agree with leaving the extensions alone. The weight will only stress your hair further.
Is there a salon near you that offers Nano Keratin treatments? They are pricey but absolutely awesome for sorting out breakage. Its not a straightening treatment - it works by infusing your hair with keratin. Ive had lots of clients who have had broken hair some to me and the results from the treatments have been staggering.
Feel bad for you babe, nowt worse than pasta for hair :Love:

Thank you everyone! Yes this has been quite the journey..8 months and counting :rolleyes:
But I think I will not re-install the tape extentions because I definitely don't want to put anymore stress on my hair.
I just researched the halo piece that was mentioned above and that seems like a great idea because I hate the clip ins, the hurt my head!
Do any of you have any suggestions on good brands? And has anyone used them before, do they slip and are they comfortable? Thanks

Thank you everyone! Yes this has been quite the journey..8 months and counting :rolleyes:
But I think I will not re-install the tape extentions because I definitely don't want to put anymore stress on my hair.
I just researched the halo piece that was mentioned above and that seems like a great idea because I hate the clip ins, the hurt my head!
Do any of you have any suggestions on good brands? And has anyone used them before, do they slip and are they comfortable? Thanks

I know how you feel I wanted to go blonde two years ago which was fine because u gently cleansed it until it was blonde and after that my friend who worked for me bleached my hair and ment to put 9% on ends and to refresh it 1.9% instead she put 9% all over because she forgot and my hair snapped ! I had to have it cut into pixi crop and my natural curly hair dropped because of the damaged I could cried so evently I used a semi 6/0 which went black near enough because my hair was so porous so it grabbed straight away, I used plenty reconstructors amargon oils even to this day ! And my hair after two years is to my shoulders and the curls are back. It's a long process but you will get there.x

9% on roots I mean x

I am at pixie since Friday last, horrible disaster and my hair was also a mullet. It's really annoying especially when I spend so much time ear bashing my clients about proper care and caution with colouring etc. I hope your hair mends soon x

The halo shouldn't slip, it's undetectable & feels like nothing's there.

Halo hair extensions :)

Latest posts

Back