Children in salons??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Unruly children will not be tolerated --- in fact they will be sent home with sticky candy and a new puppy!"

LOL! - and a small drum kit!

Do these parents let their kids play in their kitchen, laundry or garage? Because that's equivelent to a salon. With scissors, tweezers and other sharp pointy things, hot wax pots, paraffin wax, various chemicals etc. Not to mention if they break anything or knock over product and it needs to be replaced. It amazes me how many people let their kids break things and don't pay for them.
I'd be charging for all breakages and spills - not that that would ever happen to me - no children, no exceptions. What happens if the kid knocks over the wax pot and burns themself. I'm not being held liable because someone can't control their kid.

i worked in a nail bar that had a strict no children policy

it makes alot of sense to me

when i go to the hair salon i only ever take my daughter if she has an appointment too

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't go near a salon with my children. a) it's not fair on them b) its not fair on me as a client - where would the ME time be? and c) not fair on you as a therapist.

I do go to mums who have kids at home when I am doing treatments and am cool about that. Only cos I know how hard it is to get childcare and the cost of it too.

i am with you tinkywinky...i would not go in a salon with kids there...nor would i take mine to have anything done...its not fair on the kids clients or yourslf...looks bad when children are running around in a professional place...people can get put off by it....i dont work in salon but in my house NO NO NO NO kids...end off xx

I can sympathise with both sides of this, there are so many aspects to consdider:

Back in the day when I was a single parent, I still liked to get my nails done and my legs waxed, and my daughter came with me. She was from the age of 6, and I absolutely knew that she would sit and behave with a book. She didnt actually come into the treatment room at waxing appointments, she sat in the waiting area, and at nail appointments she sat nearby me, and the tech actually commented on how quiet she was. Had I though she would have kicked up a fuss, she would have gone to grannys or something.
So, I think its nice if salons can allow you to be the best judge of whether your own child will behave or not rather than impose policies which make it difficult for you to get there child free, however that would be all good and well if we could trust parents to use their judgement in this way, as from what I've read, plenty dont!

My beautician told me about one client who she was having a problem with, as she took her young son with her to get her bikini line done, she took him into the treatment room, and he sat at the seat at the business end of the bed!!!!!!!! Now fair enough he sat there and behaved, but isnt that a bit innapropriate? I think so, my beautician was looking for a tactful way to address this problem with her client, and for reasons like this I can understand salons applying restrictions to children.

Well I'm glad I read this, as this isnt an issue I had considered. I think I will issue a notice somewhere to say that children are allowed provided they will sit and behave during the treatment, and that I reserve the right to stop a treatment at any point if I cannot carry on because of unruly children compromising safety (or words to that effect).

I can beat that !!!!!!!!
This client had been coming to me for a while and usually her baby was sleeping whilst her lashes were being tinted, but this time the (now) toddler woke up and started screaming. The mother calmly asked me to pass the kid to her and she then proceeded to breastfeed her.
She was so matter-of-fact about it and, amazingly, didn't even get any tint seeping into her eyes.
She's usually good at bringing toys and a snack into the salon for her kid, so I don't normally mind.........but where do I draw the line ? :confused:

Hi, probably most of us on this site have kids, and we know how difficult it is trying to do adult things with the kids around, its bad enough going to the supermarket. So I can understand at times that you have to take your kids to places that they shouldnt really be going too.

But for the life of me, I cant understand why you would go for a treatment with your kids, I mean people take their kids to the hairdressers, how to ruin the experience.

Your in the middle of a massage/treatment/blow drying hair, the client has to stop for nappy change, put a dummy back in, it ruins the experience for them and stops you mid flow and can certainly ruin the experience for other clients.

I wander how many of these mums take there little kids with them, when they are going for a smear test.

Ideally "no children in salons", buts thats in the ideal world, and we dont live there.

As a client I would never take my kids with me to have a treatment, if I cannot get anybody to watch them for a bit then I wont go, simple.
I cannot expect my kids to sit around bored out of their heads while I get a facial!! lol Plus they could potentially wreck somebodies salon!

I just think its rude, different of course if you are mobile.

I have 1 lady who used to come to me just for an Express Manicure, but she would bring her 3 kids with her, tbh it was a horriffic experience every time, her kids would just run riot! I only have a small salon, and Im not about to let them run wild in my home, but one day when the whole tribe turned up, they just opened the door between the salon and my house and let themselves in, they broke a vase of mine and stained the sofa.

This was all after many times me asking if the kids could be minded while the Mum came to me for 30 mins, this was the last straw, and I said in no uncertain terms were children allowed in the Salon let alone my home!

She never came back, she never offered to pay for the vase, HER kids broke, and the stain is still on my sofa.

I think it just has to be a policy, that no kids are allowed EVER..ANYWHERE!!! lol!!

xxxxxx:hug:

Latest posts

Back