Client bought ME fake Shellac kit...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Faylizzie

Reaction score
I'm in a bit of an awkward predicament, an wondered if you geeks could give me some advice please?
A very good client (&family friend) of mine has her shellac done every 2 weeks with me and has done for the past year.
I've just had a really excited text from her telling me she had got me something a few texts between us went back an fourth an it turns out she's bought me the '14 day mani set' that was on group on the other week, (the one that looked like all the CND products) she said she saw it included the lamp an because mines looking a bit well used now she thought shed get it for me so I didn't have to "spend the ridiculous amount that CND charge" She said just to give her half the money an the rest was a gift from her for always doing a lovely job on her nails!

Help please lol how to I respond politely saying it's a rip off fake without hurting her feelings or her thinking I'm a bi*ch for not taking her kind gesture!?!?

Xxxxx

You just need to be honest with her. Tell her you're extremely grateful for the gesture, but explain about fake products, and tell her that you're happy to pay CND prices because the product is excellent, and that you feel that your customers should expect a premium product when they visit a salon and pay salon prices. She didnt check with you if you wanted this product and to be honest I think she's a bit cheeky just taking it upon herself to buy a product and expect you to pay for half!! You can still be really nice with her and use it as an opportunity to educate your client about fake products, but decline her offer. Tell her that as a professional you only use professional products and unfortunately the one she has bought is not one.

You could say..

How lovely it was of her to consider you when she saw it, but these are not professional products so unfortunetly you will not be able to use them. You would not want to risk the reputation you have built up, by using products aimed at the consumer.

I would just tell her the truth ... Always the best way. Thank her very much for the gesture but that unfortunately the product is fake and the lamp won't cure 'the real deal'
Shellac so you respectfully have to decline her offer and what a shame that she didn't speak to you first. If she is a friend she won't mind, and she'll learn something about the fakes going around and to stay away from them.

Hmmm tricky one, but here honestly is the best policy.

You should of course thank her for her offer and gift but unfortunately you cannot accept as you cannot use these products as they are not a professional range but a DIY kit which is trying to pretend to be professional. It will invalidate your insurance if you used them or the lamp on clients. Explain that you are happy to pay for CND because of its quality and exclusiveness to professionals.

Again thank her profusely for her kind gesture but politely refuse

E x

i'd say something along the line of 'thank you ever so much but my insurance only covers me to use CND products so i wouldn't be able to use it on clients but what a lovely gesture'. it's hard, i always get clients giving me stuff, someone gave me a sachet of pain killers to give my clients before a bikini wax, i explained i couldn't give out medication but she kept on so i thanked her and said they'd be excellent as i keep getting headaches due to the heat so i shall keep them in my kit. also i got given a marrow, :lol: i had to go home between clients and change my uniform because i was covered in mud and slugs from carrying it.

Or just tell her you saw it yourself and thought what a bargin and bought one already! Hahah then suggest she saves the one she got to give to someone for Christmas!

Or that your insurance won't cover you to use it! But again suggest she give it to someone for Christmas

Thank you for all your replies!

I have no choice but to be honest do I lol! Ahh I feel so bad!

Ok so I'm going to text her back...

How does this sound?

Hi xxxxx

Thank you so much for such a lovely gesture and offer unfortunately though I saw these products for myself on group on an they aren't real CND products, they are fake so to use them I wouldn't be insured and also the quality of them is very poor an as u know I'm a right perfectionist an wouldn't feel I wasn't giving you the great service I pride myself on if I were to use these products. I'm so sorry I wish you'd contacted me first an I should of warned you about the dangers of these products before. It really was a lovely offer an I'm really touched by it.
Is there any way you can send it back to get your money back?

Does that sound ok? God my hearts racing I feel really mean :s

Xxxx

i'd say something along the line of 'thank you ever so much but my insurance only covers me to use CND products so i wouldn't be able to use it on clients but what a lovely gesture'. it's hard, i always get clients giving me stuff, someone gave me a sachet of pain killers to give my clients before a bikini wax, i explained i couldn't give out medication but she kept on so i thanked her and said they'd be excellent as i keep getting headaches due to the heat so i shall keep them in my kit. also i got given a marrow, :lol: i had to go home between clients and change my uniform because i was covered in mud and slugs from carrying it.

Haha that brilliant !! An actual marrow haha that made me laugh! Perks if the job ay ;) xxxx

honesty is definitely the best way....im sure she will understand when you explain that the REAL shellac is only available from certain suppliers and that if you dont buy from them you dont know what you are getting and that your insurance wouldnt cover you xx good luck

Thank you for all your replies!

I have no choice but to be honest do I lol! Ahh I feel so bad!

Ok so I'm going to text her back...

How does this sound?

Hi xxxxx

Thank you so much for such a lovely gesture and offer unfortunately though I saw these products for myself on group on an they aren't real CND products, they are fake so to use them I wouldn't be insured and also the quality of them is very poor an as u know I'm a right perfectionist an wouldn't feel I wasn't giving you the great service I pride myself on if I were to use these products. I'm so sorry I wish you'd contacted me first an I should of warned you about the dangers of these products before. It really was a lovely offer an I'm really touched by it.
Is there any way you can send it back to get your money back?

Does that sound ok? God my hearts racing I feel really mean :s

Xxxx

I think that sounds fine, you've been honest with her but you still sound grateful for the gesture. What about offering her a % off her next treatment to repay her for the kind gesture? I know others will disagree with that and its entirely your call but in your position thats what I would do.

I think that sounds fine, you've been honest with her but you still sound grateful for the gesture. What about offering her a % off her next treatment to repay her for the kind gesture? I know others will disagree with that and its entirely your call but in your position thats what I would do.

That's a good idea I'm going to give her a ring instead of text so she can tell by my tone of voice how grateful I am an then I can get her reaction there an then instead of stressing out if she doesn't text back!

Thank you all so much for your advice :) xxxxx

I do think she's a bit cheeky getting it without you knowing then expecting 'half' the money back! lol x

Good idea calling, it seems a lot more appreciative than a text and you can say everything you need to say and take your time saying it too! Although I suspect that the client already knows this stuff is fake and sees no problem with it as she said she bought it so you didn't have to pay for 'expensive CND stuff' Let us know how it goes, if she's a good customer she'll be happy you told her honestly!

She was really lovely about it, I explained to her that there are a lot of fakes an DIYs on the Market that a lot of people think are the real deal, because they look so similar an the reason why I'm more than happy to pay CND prices because I know exactly what I'm getting, she ended up apologising to me bless her!
She said she's going to sell it on eBay to get her money back as she doesn't want to give it to anyone she likes because of the dangers LOL!!

Really glad she took it well as she is known to get her back up over things an is very stubborn! Weight lifted off my shoulders!
Thank you for all your advise it's very much appreciated as always :) xxxxx

What an awful position you were put in but you seem to have sorted it out beautifully! I think it was very commendable of you to phone instead of texting because texting would have been the easy way out....but a call was definitely better, as you say, you were able to come across in the right tone.

well done you can sleep easy now! :) xxx

Yeah I'm glad I phoned I hate texting anyway lol my friends always take the Mick as they say I'm the only 22 year old that phones instead of texting and that has a telephone voice!
But it got it sorted quicker an gave me a chance to say everything I wanted an as you said a good nights sleep tonight :D xxxx

Latest posts

Back