Client confidentiality

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Metamorfosis

Gel Polish Stylist of the Year 2016
Reaction score
Ok, I had a new client join me a few months back, she is totally deaf and was a little worried about her first appointment so brought two friends with her.

One of these friends has been calling and texting me since 7am today (Sunday!) demanding to know the date they came but not to tell my client she's asked or anything. (Something to do with my clients partner leaving this other girls children alone in the house or something)

Usually I'd have thought that I could not tell her due to confidentiality, but she was also here so I'm not sure!

What would you do?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

That's a tricky one. I'm not sure if that would fall in the client confidentiality thing. I thought that you were only not to disclose any client details and conversations etc.

I suppose you could make something up, like you send all your appointment pages to your accountant and won't be able to get them back till after he's sorted your accounts or something?

I'm not sure what I would do in this instance, it's strange isn't it?

Did her friend sign her consultation card on her behalf did she state at anytime that she was her support mentor? My gut reaction is it's none of her business what date she came to see you? Sounds like her friend is causing trouble and it's nothing to do with her treatments that your deaf client had, information stored is for our own use only, we do not share with any third parties end of!! Xx

It's not a support person all three of them were deaf and client in her 40's lol, it's the way she's asking me not to tell my client she's asking me, I just don't want to be any part of whatever is going on. She's just text me again saying she will work it out for herself and thanks for not helping!

Yep, just reply 'Unfortunately I am unable to pass on client information'.

no matter how insignificant the information may seem, you must not share any information in relation to your clients with third parties. Even if that third party attended the appointment with her, and in theory could or should know when it was, you shouldnt tell her. She could want this information for thousands of reasons, and if she uses it to cause trouble for your client you will land yourself in trouble.

If she was there, then SHE can work it out for herself.

Client confidentiality is something we must uphold and you need to stand your ground and remind this lady of this.

I bet the next time the client comes in, she will be alone and she might tell you what's going on because it seems it has something to do with her appointment time with you and I bet you will be glad you stuck to your guns.

As has been said honey, I'd just reply on MONDAY and say: Many thanks for both of your texts, I have been unable to come back to you until today due to Sunday being my day off. Unfortunately I am unable to give you the information you require due to client confidentiality. Kindest Regards (Your Name)

I know she's already replied, but I'd still send it. x

Let it go, hon. Just move on. No need to reply. Why stir it up?

If she keeps pestering you, just tell her that due to the Data Protection Act it's illegal to divulge any information.

Thanks everyone, she text with the date she thinks it is (which is wrong) saying haha I don't need your help now! I'm just not replying to her at all x

I think I would text to have it on the record that you do not discuss your clients with third parties. End of story. You never know if that could be useful but it can't cause any harm to clearly state your case.

Gigi has a good point, maybe even take it one step further and note something down on the clients card, so if anything turns legal in the future, then you have done your best to cover all bases.
Also keep all the text messages from this lady, it's proof too that she tried to get you to do the wrong thing but you didn't budge.

ahh the dramas we get caught up in lol

Latest posts

Back