Client had powder gel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For goodness sakes, stop calling every salon that is run by an SEA (South East Asian person) NSS. THAT just shows your ignorance.

My question is ... if you all consider yourselves so professional then why do you not subscribe to the ONLY professional nail magazine in the UK (SCRATCH)? And if you do, and if you are a professional, then why has not one person yet commented on the fantastic 4 Page article in the latest issue of Scratch about the fantastic work that is being done right now by our own *flower* to educate the SEA technicians, who are lapping it up, on all her classes?

Yes ... read it and then come back with a more informed attitude and make a comment. Right now the comments being made by British technicians are just as badly informed as you think the SEAs are. Frankly I'm embarrased on behalf of the uninformed comments in this thread and the apathy and cheap attitude from those who can't even be bothered to keep up with what is going on in your own industry.

Watch out, people. Things are happening and the SEA's that want to improve themselves will leave you standing once they get the knowledge .. and they are getting the knowledge. They already have the talent ... all they need is the knowledge; They are smart and they are eager and they have the money to do things the right way .. they are learning. WE all better do the same.

For goodness sakes, stop calling every salon that is run by an SEA (South East Asian person) NSS. THAT just shows your ignorance.

My question is ... if you all consider yourselves so professional then why do you not subscribe to the ONLY professional nail magazine in the UK (SCRATCH)?

Geeg, nobody mentions Asians here. How did you come to the conclusion that by NSS are meant Asian salons in this thread?

Why do you also think, we do not read Scratch? You have found a big market for classes and sales, I am happy for you, but why trash fellow techs here?
All the nails I see, that come from various nail bars, are ruined, with rings of fire, lifting, thick, yellow. And clients after my service first things that say is - "it did not hurt". So I guess people are a bit justified when they think asian=nss. Although I also think, that when someone here is talking about specific salon and is calling it NSS then there is a reason for it, and it does not have to be salon with asian employees.

And Asians - they have possibilites for sure, the best nails I have seen were made by Asians, so I guess they have it in blood.

I read a thread on here not so long ago written by a person from an NSS who was doing nail training here and knew the way things were being done in the nss was wrong and wanted to learn the correct way and use better products, he stated how the rest of the NSS were laughing at him and thought he was silly for buying his own products and for taking so much longer to do a set than they did and lots more.

I looked quickly for the thread, but couldn't find it - maybe when I have more time I'll find it & come back and add a link or possibly another geek read the same thread and knows what one I mean can add the link.

It was a very interesting read and would answer a few of the questions you have asked in your post.

I remember and really felt for the poster trying to make a difference,

also,

my client never mentioned asian technicians the way she described their treatments though made me realise they were non standard ( especially wearing masks and using drills causing bleeding to the nails)

Last edited:
I never ment for all this to turn on like this I simply asked a question and people came back with the answers!
At the end of a day we all should be sticking together with the whole situation of things like this since we are all in the same industry and giving out knowledge to clients so they know what is right in it!

To be fair, your post in this thread is the first to mention ethnicity.

My question is ... if you all consider yourselves so professional then why do you not subscribe to the ONLY professional nail magazine in the UK (SCRATCH)? And if you do, and if you are a professional, then why has not one person yet commented on the fantastic 4 Page article in the latest issue of Scratch about the fantastic work that is being done right now by our own *flower* to educate the SEA technicians, who are lapping it up, on all her classes?

Personally, I haven't had time to read this yet, but I will.

Yes ... read it and then come back with a more informed attitude and make a comment. Right now the comments being made by British technicians are just as badly informed as you think the SEAs are. Frankly I'm embarrased on behalf of the uninformed comments in this thread and the apathy and cheap attitude from those who can't even be bothered to keep up with what is going on in your own industry.

Watch out, people. Things are happening and the SEA's that want to improve themselves will leave you standing once they get the knowledge .. and they are getting the knowledge. They already have the talent ... all they need is the knowledge; They are smart and they are eager and they have the money to do things the right way .. they are learning. WE all better do the same.

I have always thought that my local NSS produce beautiful looking nails, its just that they wreck the natural nail first. The technicians are exceptionally skilled at producing perfectly balanced nails. I have never had any reason to think that they use MMA. The nail art my local NSS produce is just amazing.

Since no efiling is necessary, I think that the gel polish revolution is where the NSS could take over.

For the record: My local NSS offer acrylic at one price, gel at a higher price and fibreglass at an even higher price. The fact is it is all liquid and powder. It is impossible for the technicians themselves not to be aware of this, it is a deliberate way of cheating the unknowing client.

Personally, I just worry about keeping myself up to date and my own clients happy. There will always be clients that prefer the type of luxury service I offer, and always clients that prefer the convenience of the service offered by an NSS.

Good luck with the NSS project, it will be an uphill climb because of the negative reputation (often based on experience) the NSS have in the minds of many members of the public.

Let's not be coy shall we??

We ALL know that when NSS are mentioned the poster is usually always talking about Asian salons (god knows as a moderator, we have edited hundredes of threads that mention Chinese salons in the same breath as NSS).

NSS does not refer to the use of drills or the wearing of masks .. I use a drilll and so do hundreds of others and many wear masks, and this does not make a salon NON STANDARD.

NSS has always referred to the use of MMA and also a lack of hygeine and lack of communication. NOthing to do with drills or masks.

Be as cynical as you like, kasik, some (and I include myself in this) have spent their entire professional lives trying to improve standards in the nail industry .. for the good of the industry and not sales.

There is always more than one way of trying to improve things .... Bleat and moan about bad standards and try to ban products and close down the competition, OR teach and train people who have not had the benefit of good education, to learn more and to be better. The latter is the stance I HAVE ALWAYS TAKEN; anyone who knows me knows this to be true ... and I wasn't just given the only award ever given in the UK for my Services to the Nail Industry for over 25 years, for nothing!! I have always strived to improve education standards and I still am striving to do so.

For those of you who don't know me, let me introduce myself properly.
My name is Anna Lee and I am a CND Shellac Education Ambassador.
I am of 100% Chinese Ethnic origin.

The fact that no one has mentioned the word 'South East Asian' right up until Geeg has DOES NOT hide the fact that everytime NSS is mention on here, it refers to the South East Asian salons. Indeed, the lack of education is the cause of this and it is not to my surprise or offense that we all feel this way.

With the full support of CND and Sweet Sqaured, I have had the amazing opportunity to work closely with the South East Asian (SEA) Salons in the past 6 months. I have approached these salons and have successfully and actively help them to better themselves. So I actually know all the answers to my own questions in my last post, but I asked the questions because I wondered if anyone else on here knows also..? I wanted to help us see the whole picture in a slightly different way.

In the last 6 months, I have managed to gain the trust of this very enclosed community and have learnt a tremendous amount about them. I am in awe with their commitment to their businesses and the respect they have for themselves and each other.

Up until now, I have trained about 70 SEA nail professional from over 50 SEA salons. My special SEA Shellac programme has been extremely successful and I have managed to re-educate and change their thinking in many ways.

It is NOT impossible for them to not know the difference between L+P and gel. I know that for sure because I have spent the time getting to know them, allowed them to speak up for themselves and teaching them.

The fact that these South East Asian salons are not going away leaves us with only 2 options:

A) Keep coming on here, bitch about them, make them our enemies and have them continue to damage the industry by doing what they are doing.

B) Take a step back, give them the benefit of doubt, help them, encourage them, re-educated them which may result in making NSS extinct in the near future which will in effect, HELP OUR INDUSTRY AS A WHOLE.

I know which option I want to take. How about you..?

To be honest I actually can't believe how far this thread has actually gone in ending up in saying about things like NSS salons or SEA! At the end of the day everyone has there own opinions on what is right and wrong we are all In the same industry including the NSS because we have an interest in the industry. In my own eyes the whole situation is pathetic!!

If anyone needs to understand more about this part of the nail community, then ask me.
Ask me because I do not assume, I actually know.
I know because I am Chinese and I have spent the time speaking, listening and teaching the SEA nail community.

Who wants to know what system they use..? who wants to know why they use drills..? who wants to know why they call a product 'power gel'..? what about why they dont seek help and education...?

If anyone would like to know then I have answers for all these questions.

BUT if you all have so much questions that YOU can't personally answer yourselves, then does that not mean YOU are admitting to be ignorant...?? that you are all admitting to the fact that you have no idea where the problem stems from..? That you have all been assuming with only YOUR own opinions all these years....?

You see..? The cup can be seen as half full or half empty.
You think they don't know, they think you don't know.

Last edited:
Yes It was me who asked what system they used , I wanted to know because if I don't know something I come on here and ask!!!

Forgot to add why do they call it powder gel?

i never heard the term NSS until SG. it didn't take me long to realise that a lot of the time it implied an asian salon.

i thought along with supposedly using MMA , and using L&P with a gel top coat and calling it gel , it also meant techs who really didn't know what they were at. over filing the natural nails, using cheap products and generally being associated with pain and sometimes blood.

where i live there isn't 1 asian person within a 50 or more mile radius doing nails.

BUT... there are plenty of clients who have abused nails . who's fault ? uneducated/ poorly trained local, indigenous nail techs where i am anyway.

i did read the scratch article and i did find it interesting and more power to everyone involved with it but everyone regardless of their ethnicity etc needs to keep educating and bettering themselves and IMO until the government brings in some sort of regulations little will change.
at the very least your insurance should be linked to a required annual license which in turn should be linked with a minimum number of CPD hours. that would help us all be kept on our toes.

Yes It was me who asked what system they used , I wanted to know because if I don't know something I come on here and ask!!!

The enhancement systems they use are mainly imported from overseas, usually from a generic factory which makes them quite cheaply.

The more well known popular brand that they use is OPI. OPI because it is well known to the general public which means they do not need to promote it. Bio-sculpture is another company they use often, again because it is well know.

Forgot to add why do they call it powder gel?

I've already answered this one at the beginning of this thread.

They are called 'powder gels' because that is the name and description that the manufacture of this particular product tells them to use.

The enhancement systems they use are mainly imported from overseas, usually from a generic factory which makes them quite cheaply.

The more well known popular brand that they use is OPI. OPI because it is well known to the general public which means they do not need to promote it. Bio-sculpture is another company they use often, again because it is well know.

Thanks *flower* I'm just nosey :) if I dont know anything that's why I ask on herd

Be as cynical as you like, kasik, some (and I include myself in this) have spent their entire professional lives trying to improve standards in the nail industry .. for the good of the industry and not sales.

?!? Sorry??
Honestly Geeg, stop reading what is not there.

And as far as I remember it was thousand times said on this forum what NSS means, and it was always underlined that is does not mean Asian/Chinese salon. I understand it is hot topic in the light of last Scratch's issue, but you are overreacting and creating completely unnecessary emotions.

Flower - nice to know the face behind the name, wish you luck. I wish something like SEA was in Germany, cause nail bars here are really destroying industry reputation.

I've already answered this one at the beginning of this thread.

They are called 'powder gels' because that is the name and description that the manufacture of this particular product tells them to use.

I sorry I skimmed through most of the posts

To be honest I actually can't believe how far this thread has actually gone in ending up in saying about things like NSS salons or SEA! At the end of the day everyone has there own opinions on what is right and wrong we are all In the same industry including the NSS because we have an interest in the industry. In my own eyes the whole situation is pathetic!!

On the contrary .. to be honest, you should be glad that your thread has prompted a good discussion. Sit back and enjoy it.

Thanks *flower* I'm just nosey :) if I dont know anything that's why I ask on herd

You are welcomed.

I represent CND as a Education Ambassador. My job is to give out as much information as I possibly know to help others (of ALL nationalities) to better themselves and be successful in the nail industry.

?!? Sorry??
Honestly Geeg, stop reading what is not there.

And as far as I remember it was thousand times said on this forum what NSS means, and it was always underlined that is does not mean Asian/Chinese salon. I understand it is hot topic in the light of last Scratch's issue, but you are overreacting and creating completely unnecessary emotions.

Flower - nice to know the face behind the name, wish you luck. I wish something like SEA was in Germany, cause nail bars here are really destroying industry reputation.

Thank you for your support and encouragment.

To be fair though, Geeg re-acted the way she did because the whole SEA education Programme is originally her idea. An idea that she has not managed to put into practice- for many reasons - before she retired to Spain. She has seen, for a long time, that many things can be done to help this sector of the industry. I just happened to have the opportunity to actively bring this idea into the industry in hopes to continue what Geeg didn't have the chance to do.

Like many of us, she is passion about the nail industry and feels frustrated with the comments that the SEA salons gets because she knows that they deserve more.

I am not fighting Geeg's battle for her because she is more than able to do that herself. But I have been working closely with Geeg in this particular SEA project right from the beginning and I want everyone to know what she says the things she says because she really knows what she is talking about.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back