Client has a white patch on her nail ... please help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rose143

Very Proud Creative Geek
Reaction score
Hi Peeps,

One of my manicure clients has a massive white patch on her nail please see photo below:

I have no idea what it could be, sorry the picture is not so clear but it looks like a massive bruise yet it's not because I just got a call from her today saying that since I last took the picture, 1 week and a half ago it has now spread to her other nails. She did buy solaroil from me and I've asked her if she is using it twice per day and she said yes she has and could that be the cause, I told her no, solaroil wouldn't cause that.

I know she is on blood pressure tablets, could her medication play a part in this and if so why has it started to happen since I've been doing her nails. She also asked me if L&P overlays would help this problem, I said I'd find out.

So my question is, what does this look like to you guys and would L&P overalys help with this or would you advise against L&P for now.

Your help would be much appreciated!!

xxxx

Rose as she had an enhancement on this nail prior to this photo?

No she hasn't my love

xxxx

It looks like the nail is starting to seperate from the nail bed somewhat. Mind you others may be able to offer a more proffesional opinion. If it was me, I would not be putting an enhancement on right now as if it is separation of the nail bed, it could make it worse if they are long and she catches the free edge at all, as this will pull it away from the nail bed even more.

Wait and see what other advice you will get this evening when the other nail techs have finished work and log on.

if its spreading its not fungal is it? quick visit to the docs would sort out a dianosis maybe tell her to do that?

AMBX

Cameo Val said:
It looks like the nail is starting to seperate from the nail bed somewhat. Mind you others may be able to offer a more proffesional opinion. If it was me, I would not be putting an enhancement on right now as if it is separation of the nail bed, it could make it worse if they are long and she catches the free edge at all, as this will pull it away from the nail bed even more.

Wait and see what other advice you will get this evening when the other nail techs have finished work and log on.

That rings a bell Val, I remember sticking my nail under hers to check for nail seperation, how silly of me not to mention that.

But can this spread?

xxxx

MINKUS said:
if its spreading its not fungal is it? quick visit to the docs would sort out a dianosis maybe tell her to do that?

AMBX

I think I'm gonna do that Amber, I'm seeing her tonight at 19:00 and she wanted to know if there was anything I could do to help her.

xxxx

It does not spread, as in infectious. But she could be getting nail separation on some other nails too. Dont know what would be causing it. I think Minkus is right, she should get proffesional advice.

Better safe than sorry babes - let us know how it goes.

amb x

Thanks guys, I will ask her to go and see her doctor and I'll let you know what has happened!

Thanks for your replies!

xxxx

Keep looking back on here though, Im sure you will get some better replies than mine later on tonight.

Hi again Rose if its appeared on her natural nail then it could be Onycholysis.
It is the loosening of the nail without falling off, usually beginning at the free edge and continuing to the lunula. It is frequently associated with an internal disorder, trauma, infection, nail fungi, and allergy to nail enhancement products, or may result from certain drug treatments.
Hths

Hello it looks like onycholosis to me too.
Where the nail plate seperates from the nail bed in an area. If she has been wearing nail enhancments it could be from excessive length of enhancement, nail trauma or an allergic reaction. The best thing to do is for her to get it checked out by a doc but if it is onycholosis then get her to keep her nal length down and use tonnes of solar oil which will help.
If she has enhancments on the other nails avoid soaking them off as this could make the condition worse. I am sure oncholosis is the reason as it really looks like it when you press it does it seem kind of thin and a bit moveable on the area when you press it almost springy cant really describe lol sorry. I would advise the use of solar oil though.
hth x

It is almost too unclear to really tell, I would say one of two things: Neither is an infection or any major stress:)

1)Onycholysis, as the others have said, can't see from the photo if it has actually seperated. If so, shorten and keep an eye on them.

2)Pseudo Leukonychia, (nail plate whitening) this can happen when moisture is repetatively and excessively stripped out of the nail plate. Causing the upper layers to dry out, and become white/flakey in apperance. Commonly caused by frequent removal of enamel or use of solvents. Another major cause can be nail harders or enamels with formaldehyde in them, as this will well and truly over dry the nail plate (and leave it brittle) - Ensure she uses quality (non formaldehyde) base coats, enamel, and top coat. Solar oil/ solar balm applied daily will help if this is the case. HTH

Im sure when I was doing my contra-indication coursework and reasearching onycholysis, I read that medications can cause onycholysis and one of them may have been blood pressure medication, it rings a bell anyway. good luck with solving it hun x x

a colleague at the pool i work at has just started suffering with onchylosis and suspiciously she too has just started taking beta blockers for blood pressure problems. ask her to look at the side effects page in her medication cos my friend's has a little bit saying nails and hair may become dry and brittle. HTH (yay! i know what HTH means now!!! he he he!!!)

I agree it could be Onconicyosis (cant spell). But if the nail is not lifting from her nail bed in this area, could it just be a damage spot from a serious 'wack' to her nail? If i wack a nail, i get a tiny white spot. ????

~bec~ said:
I agree it could be Onconicyosis (cant spell). But if the nail is not lifting from her nail bed in this area, could it just be a damage spot from a serious 'wack' to her nail? If i wack a nail, i get a tiny white spot. ????

Hi Bec,

I also thought it was that Bec but when I was told that it was spreading I got worried and thought hang on a minute it can't be all of them :eek:

xxxx

Bloody hell, you guys have been fantastic :hug: , thank you so much for all the replies.

I went to her last night and asked to see everything she has ever used on her nails. She brought down about 5 different nail strengtheners and at least 3 contained Formaldehyde as they normally do :rolleyes: The others didn't have any ingredients on the bottles. She told me she stopped using them about 3 months ago when I started doing her nails which was also when I warned her about nail strengtheners. I eventually got her to buy solaroil form me about 2 weeks ago which she has now been using twice a day. She used to use these nail strengtheners like it was going out of fashion, she said she has been using them religiously for about 2 years and couldn't understand why her nails were geting worse!!!! So yes Envy, that might also be a possibility. I did say to her that she shouldn't need these strengtheners eventually if she keeps her solaroil up because she does have really strong nails but if she wanted some I could alsways sell her a bottle of Toughen up.

I also gave her a doctor's letter referring her to her doctor to get them looked at. She asked me if it could be nail plate lifting, I had no choice but to say, it's what me and the other geeks think as well. I know we're not supposed to diagnose but she wasn't born yesterday. I also told her to up her dose in solaroil to 4 times per day as well as under the free edge.

She is gonna keep me informed as to what is happening and I will update you guys further. Thank you again for all your replies!!!

MWAH!!!!!
xxxx

Are there any other anomolies on her nail plates such as pitting or just the onycholysis?

Latest posts

Back