Client Nail complaint-Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zooks

Reaction score
Hi Geeks

More of an outlet than a question really. I did a ladies nails 10 days ago on a Thursday eve for a wedding she had on the Friday. She works in a kitchen so I really stressed the importance of gloves. Gave her all relevant aftercare as well as giving her an aftercare sheet to take away.

Yesterday she came into the salon while I was with another client and I could hear her complaining that they hadn't lasted. The hairdresser went to hand her a remove tube but I excused myself from my client as I wanted to see the damage before she removed them. They were awful! All picked off at the ends and looked horrendous. I asked whether she had followed aftercare etc to which (of course!) she replied she had. She said it was one that lifted before she even goto to the wedding and that her thumb started to go the day after but the rest started lifting at the end so she picked them. I said how unusual it was and that I was very surprised if she had followed the aftercare that this had happened. I asked her what she would like me to do about it to which she replied "Nothing" I just wish they would have lasted longer. I told her I would call her as I was treating a client and went back to my current client. She took the remove tube away and apparently was quite arsey with the hairdresser.

She is a local girl and knows a lot of people I know so I wanted to pacify her. I don't think she would be a regular client but I still don't want her to bad mouth me.

I called her at the end of the day and left an answer machine message and then also Facebooked her (as this was how she first contacted me) saying the following:

Hi Charlotte
I'm really sorry I wasn't free to talk to you earlier. I'm really surprised your nails didn't last. If you would have come back to me sooner I would have been more than happy to repair the ones that had lifted. You are obviously disappointed that they didn't last as am I. If you can get in touch I'd like to be able to do something about it. I have also left you a message on your phone.
Hope to hear from you soon.
My name

Would you have done anything else? I hate complaints and I know my application is fine, as are my bulbs and everything else so it must have been something she has done. I think I will offer to re-do to try and restore her faith (save her bad mouthing me!) She's not after a freebie as she never once mentioned a refund, just said she was disappointed.

Zooks :(

Hey I've had this before, I believe that my client picked at the shellac.
From what you've said I'd say you've done enough to appease her, if she wants to bad mouth you she will, people will always have an opinion x but at least you know in your heart you applied correctly you did nothing wrong... And you also tried to rectify this situation x hope this reassures you x

I think you can't do more. She won't necessarily bad mouth you, she might just be genuinely disappointed. I have had a good client who I trust, (a first time Shellac user)say that after 1 day, her Shellac on her thumb just literally fell off. Could have been down to my prep of the nails, or something she used, but truly believe it wasn't picked or anything. Luckily, I was able to replace just before her hols, and then they lasted fine, but you definitely can't do more than what you've done. She may not want them re-done, but be warned, she may call in the favour in 5 months so she has nice nails for Christmas lol!!!

I wouldn't even have done what you did ... very nice of you but completely unnecessary.

I think many technicians are far too concerned about what the effect might be from a disappointed client because, a.)They really don't have the influence you think they have and b. ) they may be disappointed but that doesn't mean it is such an important thing in their life that they will start a vendetta against you.

Last edited:
Hi Geeks

More of an outlet than a question really. I did a ladies nails 10 days ago on a Thursday eve for a wedding she had on the Friday. She works in a kitchen so I really stressed the importance of gloves. Gave her all relevant aftercare as well as giving her an aftercare sheet to take away.

Yesterday she came into the salon while I was with another client and I could hear her complaining that they hadn't lasted. The hairdresser went to hand her a remove tube but I excused myself from my client as I wanted to see the damage before she removed them. They were awful! All picked off at the ends and looked horrendous. I asked whether she had followed aftercare etc to which (of course!) she replied she had. She said it was one that lifted before she even goto to the wedding and that her thumb started to go the day after but the rest started lifting at the end so she picked them. I said how unusual it was and that I was very surprised if she had followed the aftercare that this had happened. I asked her what she would like me to do about it to which she replied "Nothing" I just wish they would have lasted longer. I told her I would call her as I was treating a client and went back to my current client. She took the remove tube away and apparently was quite arsey with the hairdresser.

She is a local girl and knows a lot of people I know so I wanted to pacify her. I don't think she would be a regular client but I still don't want her to bad mouth me.

I called her at the end of the day and left an answer machine message and then also Facebooked her (as this was how she first contacted me) saying the following:

Hi Charlotte
I'm really sorry I wasn't free to talk to you earlier. I'm really surprised your nails didn't last. If you would have come back to me sooner I would have been more than happy to repair the ones that had lifted. You are obviously disappointed that they didn't last as am I. If you can get in touch I'd like to be able to do something about it. I have also left you a message on your phone.
Hope to hear from you soon.
My name

Would you have done anything else? I hate complaints and I know my application is fine, as are my bulbs and everything else so it must have been something she has done. I think I will offer to re-do to try and restore her faith (save her bad mouthing me!) She's not after a freebie as she never once mentioned a refund, just said she was disappointed.

Zooks :(

So you did her nails 10 days ago, heard nothing from her up to this and were willing to help her but she turned down your offer!

If it was a genuine complaint she would want the issue resolved, she didn't.That's not complaining, that's just moaning.

But just out of curiosity how long did you tell her they would last for?
Did you commit yourself by saying they would last 14 days etc?

During a service when the client asks me how long they will last I normally answer
''it depends, most people get x amount of days/weeks, but I cannot guarantee how long they will last on each individual as there are so many variables involved, lifestyle, hobbies, how hard you are on your nails, etc , etc.''

That way you are not backing yourself into a corner and having someone who has just re-potted all her pot plants with her bare hands saying ....YOU said they would last 2 weeks!!:lol:

With my Gelish i always say "this can last you up to 3 weeks but it all depends on you, if you follow the aftercare and advice I have given you. (the words in bold I stress upon them)

I think you have done all you can which is way above what was needed.

When asked how long shellac will last I explain to my ladies that I have clients that it only lasts a week on due to not following aftercare and clients that have them on for 7 weeks. So somewhere between there. Of course in a light hearted way with a big smile :)

Vicki x

as others have said i wouldnt stress about it at all. If she had been that bothered she would have come back sooner and got you to repair them. She sounds as though she is just one of those people that as soon as there is the slightest lifting or catching that she picks them off, i have several clients like that. Very frustrating as i hate the thought of them walking around with half picked off nails!!!

I think you have done more than enough, so put it down to experience and forget about it!

Thankyou Ladies,

I never guarantee a client 14 days. I always say they can last up to 14 days with the correct aftercare and I explain it's down to the individual and how they look after their nails as to how well they last.

I wasn't thikning she would start a vendetta but being the only salon in a small town means word spreads fast, especially seeing as she works down the road.

Thankyou all for reassuring me and responding.

I work from home I have 2 lovely ladies that come to me every 2 weeks together they are mother and daughter. The mum nails are perfect except for regrowth. The daughter always terrible lol xxx

Latest posts

Back