Client questioning my prices!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helen Faye

Reaction score
So here's the latest one that's rattled my cage, I have a bridesmaid who asked for wedding prices for her friend the bride.i sent her my wedding price list.she replied to say they'd like to book the date with the trials. I asked that a deposit needs to be made to hold the date, which I recieved today along with a message from the bridesmaid asking me to give an explanation about why the bride is more than the bridesmaid, as the bride wants to know the reasons. I feel so annoyed that people don't seem to think your worth your prices and find myself justifying my prices to certain people!!!!! I feel this forum is my therapist lol xxx

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

lol i know excatly what you mean ive had simular thing today cut along story short did a christmas package for a customer so they were saving like £20 and now shes cancelled 2 treatments at my busyist time expecting it cheaper now its a joke and its annoying we are profesionals carrying out hair & beauty services which we have all had to learn and qualifie in so annoying xx

From what youu have written I wouldn't say that they have questioned your prices, I'd say it's just them wanting to understand why the bride costs more.

Try to think of it without being a make up artist & maybe you will understand where they are coming from.

So think about why you decided to charge the bride more?
Is it extra touch ups that she gets on the day? Is it that you use different make up that is longer lasting? Is it airbrushed on? Is it that you do 2/3/4 looks for the bride then match just the bridesmaids make up so she only needs 1/2 looks therefore using less make up & time.

You should know why you charge more and so answering them shouldn't be a big deal. If they had said they thought you were charging them too much or that it was too expensive then they would be questioning your prices, to me they just want to understand why there are prices for the bride & different prices for the bridesmaid & not being in the industry they wouldn't know what the difference in your service is.

For example... if I booked you for bridesmaids make up and then I put on my wedding dress when you were finished would my make up look any different or last any longer than if I booked in for brides make up?

Ask her if the bride plans to wear the same outfit as the bridesmaids?

It clearly states in my wedding price list how much extra time at the trial and on the day the bride will receive and how much for each bridesmaid. I messaged back that if the bride would like to discuss things she could call me on my number or I could call her. bridesmaid said she would but the brides got tonsillitis!!! I've got to charge them petrol fee as their out of my area and worried this will be awkward!!!!

From what youu have written I wouldn't say that they have questioned your prices, I'd say it's just them wanting to understand why the bride costs more.

Try to think of it without being a make up artist & maybe you will understand where they are coming from.

Is it extra touch ups that she gets on the day? Is it that you use different make up that is longer lasting? Is it airbrushed on? Is it that you do 2/3/4 looks for the bride then match just the bridesmaids make up so she only needs 1/2 looks therefore using less make up & time.

You should know why you charge more and so answering them shouldn't be a big deal. If they had said they thought you were charging them too much or that it was too expensive then they would be questioning your prices, to me they just want to understand why there are prices for the bride & different prices for the bridesmaid & not being in the industry they wouldn't know what the difference in your service is.

For example... if I booked you for bridesmaids make up and then I put on my wedding dress when you were finished would my make up look any different or last any longer than if I booked in for brides make up?[/QUOTE]

Brilliant!

For example... if I booked you for bridesmaids make up and then I put on my wedding dress when you were finished would my make up look any different or last any longer than if I booked in for brides make up?[/QUOTE]

Brilliant!

Your reply makes total sense!

I'm not sure about make up, I'm a hairdresser lol xx

You just don't make yourself clear.. maybe the bride feels the same way :rolleyes:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

It clearly states in my wedding price list how much extra time at the trial and on the day the bride will receive and how much for each bridesmaid. I messaged back that if the bride would like to discuss things she could call me on my number or I could call her. bridesmaid said she would but the brides got tonsillitis!!! I've got to charge them petrol fee as their out of my area and worried this will be awkward!!!!

So what is it that you charge the bride more for?

Will her make up look any different or last any longer when paying the bride price over paying the bridesmaid price?

You seem to be missing the point in what they are asking, they are asking for you to justify the extra money your charging. Either your price list hasn't given them enough information on what the bride gets for the extra money or they didn't read that part as they are asking you to explain - and I think they have every right to do so if I'm honest, money is tight for everyone and if your going to charge one person more than the other for the same thing then you need to justify why.

Personally all I would want on my wedding day is that someone else do my make up instead of me (several reasons but mainly as I am not the most confident with make up & I don't wear make up at all day to day) so I'd look fab with just night out make up on, bridesmaids make up may fit better so it is more photograph-able (with those therapists who use different make up knowing it will be photographed) never mind brides make up that would cost me more even though I wouldn't be complaining after the first look or asking for changes as I'd trust the therapist to do what suits me best first time round.

Last edited:
Just Explain to her that there is so much more pressure from the bride, the bride is everything that day, the bridesmaids are just background. I know that doesn't sound very professional but that's the truth. A bridesmaid will normally have a simply style, which is chosen by the bride.

The bride's hair has to look the best it possibly could whereas the bridesmaids just do as they're told x

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

But don't let it wind you up, they haven't questioned your prices just why one is more expensive than the other.

If you were confident in why you were pricing it diffeently then there shouldn't be an issue x

What an idiot!......same reason the brides dress costs more than the brides maids dresses. I quit doing wedding hair many moons ago & even say so on my resume.I hate the drama & junk that comes with it.

What an idiot!......same reason the brides dress costs more than the brides maids dresses. I quit doing wedding hair many moons ago & even say so on my resume.I hate the drama & junk that comes with it.

As of 2015 I've quit weddings too. Unless I've known them a while.

So what is it that you charge the bride more for?
Will her make up look any different or last any longer when paying the bride price over paying the bridesmaid price?
You seem to be missing the point in what they are asking, they are asking for you to justify the extra money your charging.
To be honest, I think some of you have misunderstood the issue as Bridal Hair styling is quite different to make-up application in that the finished style for a Bride is usually a far more intricate style than her bridesmaids hair styles and takes considerably longer to complete. The clue was the fact it was posted in the Hair Forum. ;)

That's why I pointed to the difference between the Wedding dress v the bridesmaids outfits. The wedding dress is traditionally an extravagent creation and costs significantly more money to produce and therefore, to purchase.

The hairstyles for the bride and her bridesmaids will reflect their outfits and status in the proceedings.

For the bride, it is the preparation that takes the most time, products and skill and as with make-up, it will be expected to look fabulous for the duration of the event with possibly some tweaking to take it from ceremony to evening party look.

It's very rare for a bride to feel happy having exactly the same hairstyle as her maids. Even if she starts off at the trial saying this!!
They always want theirs to look 'prettier'. :)

From a clients point of view , i would expect to pay more for my hair then the bridesmaids. I like to think a lot more time would be put into my hair then the bridesmaids , at the trial and on the day. Dont get me wrong i would wont my bridesmaids hair to be nice, but simple. While i probably like most brides would wont a miracle and the wow factor. I would not mind paying a premium price for that special day. x

I do makeup not hair but get exactly the same...the fact is that brides makeup is ALWAYS more hard work than a bridesmaid, even when they say they just want a little bit/just natural/same as bridesmaids. there is more skill and time learnt in how to make up last all day and look flawless-yes so does the bms but hand on heart I nearly always end up tweakig and changing brides makeup on their request abd very rarely bridesmaids. Then theres lots of prep work etc and on the day the conditions arent straightforward and you have yo allow more time as brides check flowerd, other bridesmaids hair, children and I make myself useful on the day. I also say that I see bridesmaids as additional to brides so my key charges like insurance, travel etc are accounted for here so theres no need to charge twice ; -) A lot of people say, once you say wedding the price doubles just to rip you off and they think thats true, for me it isnt, weddings are just a lot more work than a special occasion makeup and theres skill and knowledge of photographic as well as daytime crossing over to nighttime makeup.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

An up date. I asked the bridesmaid to pass my number on to the bride and I would speak with her directly. Bride text me the next day asking me to explain why she couldn't be charged the same as the bridesmaid. I replied that she receives more time at her trial and the day therefore is slightly more (£10 more).she replied that she didn't really understand why it was so much more just for a bit extra (1-2hrs work). I said I could re quote with an hourly rate and travel costs if she preferred. Am I really being so unreasonable? I think my prices are very fair and reflect my experience, training and time!!!!

If course you need to charge more for the bride. In my opinion £10 is not enough more, I don't do bridal hair, I only do the bridesmaids in the Salon then the manager will do the bride. I charge £66 for each bridesmaid and the bride is double x

Latest posts

Back