Client refusing some details for record card.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs RSM

Reaction score
This could be for anything but as it was nails I thought I would pop it on here. Has anyone had this before, for any kind of record card/treatment?

What kind of details hun? If they are refusing to perhaps state any allergies or medications/illnesses or are being sparse about them then I would be worried myself. things like address and phone number?

Are they personal details or nail related? X

Sometimes you get clients that are worried that their personal information is going to be shared with third parties or they will recieve emails etc that they dont want....

You can explain to your clients that your insurer requires you to hold this information and thats it strictly confidential. I state this on my consultaion form.

However if they are refusing medical / or about medication they may be taking or information that could possibly be contraindicated then you should not be treating them because your insurance company will not cover you...its not worth the risk.

Years ago I had a client refuse on the grounds of "Data Protection". I told her that I didn't put the information on computer and it was purely for my records and insurance and the information went nowhere.

In the end I told her to just put her name at the top and sign at the bottom and tick the box that said "I have agreed the treatment with the technician".

To be honest if it happened now I would refuse to do the treatment - I can't be bothered!

Some people are just awkward for the sake of it :D

I bet nobody refuses to fill in their details when they are returning something to a store for a refund or giving details when buying a television.

I have very occasionally had clients refuse to give address details, I explain its only for my purposes sending out newsletters but if still prefer not to thats fine but I insist on a contact phone number and brief medical details, allergies, diabetes etc.

The only details I allow my clients not to fill in on my consult cards are their email address (if they don't know it) and their doctors phone number if they don't know it but I insist on the Dr name, and the surgery to be written in there and ask them to find out the Dr number for their next appointment (as I know the Dr name & surgeery details I could get the number from 118, directory enquiry etc in an emergency).

I always have the clients name, address (as I'm mobile), DOB, allergies & medication. If anyone refused to give those basic details I would leave without treating them as my insurance wouldn't cover me to treat them.

Wow, that was fast, thank you all for your speedy responses!

It was her telephone numbers, postcode and dob. I asked her for her postcode, that was fine. I asked her for telephone numbers and dob, she refused telephone numbers in a rude way, and looked at me like I had handed her a severed head. I advised we do not pass numbers on and that it is simply to contact her should her therapist ever be off on the day of her appointment and in case of emergency. She said she would take that chance of not being treated if her therapist was off sick,etc

She was awkward from the outset. I told her that I found it very odd that she would not want to leave her contact number and that nobody has ever refused before. I insisted on dob, she rolled her eyes and got all huffy :D I put my foot down then and said it is mandatory. She very resentfully filled her dob in and made a big old fuss over it.

I actually really wanted to just tell her to leave but I have taken on an extra nail tech and she is lovely so I wanted her to have the client. if she had been rude to my NT then that would have been it, she would have been shown the door.

Like has been said, some people are just so awkward, I had to bite my tongue hard as normally I don't put up with any nonsense, but to be honest I was a bit bemused by her oddness.:D

I take your point about the phone number, as it is essential if you need to contact her re changes in appointments etc, and find it odd she would rather risk an unnecesary journey.
However I don't always supply my date of birth and feel there is no requirement for a salon to know my age lol!!!

Somebody like me would have a hard time getting service from some of you! I don't have a doctor so that would rule out a surgery name or phone number to start with. If somebody demanded that I register with a doctor before they'd do my nails I'd just take my money elsewhere.

I take your point about the phone number, as it is essential if you need to contact her re changes in appointments etc, and find it odd she would rather risk an unnecesary journey!!

That's what I thought, why risk it.

Somebody like me would have a hard time getting service from some of you! I don't have a doctor so that would rule out a surgery name or phone number to start with. If somebody demanded that I register with a doctor before they'd do my nails I'd just take my money elsewhere.

You would be sent elsewhere lol!

Out of interest (nosiness too) if you are not registered at a doctors surgery, how do you get treatment if you are ill?

Last edited:
I bet nobody refuses to fill in their details when they are returning something to a store for a refund or giving details when buying a television.

I've actually witnessed a lady refuse to give her details when getting a refund. She wouldn't listen to reason and took it out on the sales assistant so I politely said to her that she wouldn't like it if she was spoken to like that if it wasn't her fault. She signed it all after that :) lol

Edit: the dob is quite important actually as it may need to be told to an ambulance in an emergency. Also contact number is important in that respect too because a home number could lead you to the clients spouse etc if need be.

By not giving me your DOB you'd be missing out on my brithday offers/discounts and you wouldn't really be the type of client I'd want either and I would probably treat you that once.

Then if the client tried to rebook at a later date I'd request the information needed to have a full consult card - IF it was refused again I would ask the client find someone else to do her treatments. I have no care for clients that feel they don't/can't trust me.

I'm mobile and if they don't trust me with basic information I wouldn't feel comfortable to be in their home arround their belongings.

As for not having a Dr - I wouldn't treat you. I'd applogise and pack up, I need that information in the event of an accident or medical emergency and I wouldn't be happy to treat someone that I couldn't get personal medical advice for if it was ever required.

It doesn't cost anything to register with a Dr here in the UK, and there are lots of Dr surgeries to choose from. I see no harm in being registered somewhere even if you never see a Dr as your personal medical file must be kept somewhere.

if clients do not wish to fill out any part of their consultation form, then i have no wishes to perform their treatment!

I've had clients get annoyed because they've had to fill in record cards, I think personally it just makes them look silly and there is no need to be shirty with a therapist who respects her clients enough to bother with record cards, as I know a few that don't bother at all.

A client came to me for md facial last week and informed me that she had a condition that fell under the "gp consent required" category.
When I told her that I wouldn't proceed without it, she screwed up her face into a sneer and told me I was being awkward!!!
I told her that I really wasn't and that I was just following the requirements if my insurance providee etc etc.
" oh for gods sake, you're a bit of a jobs worth aren't you" was her reply!!! She took her phone out, tutting and sighing, and called her g.p to get the ok and referred to me as the beauty girl to the g.p at least 3 times!! Grrrr
He said proceed as normal so I did. I was tempted to switch the md machine for my neighbours sandblaster and give her a little etiquette lesson, but alas my insurance wouldn't have covered that portion of the treatment lol x

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

Just a thought; we take on trust the information given. A client could lie or omit conditions without our knowing.
Incidentally I would always dial 999 in a medical emergency. It would delay matters if I rang the GP first.

Being able to give the emergency services as much detail as possible can help speed up the process of identifying the patient. Especially if they are, by then, unconscious and unable to give the information themselves. So I will be saying that dob is essential please! I work in this field, so will not be taking no for an answer.

Btw, I'd like to thank everyone for these types of thread regarding consultation cards as this is a task waiting for me right now. You are all being a great help.

Just a thought; we take on trust the information given. A client could lie or omit conditions without our knowing.
Incidentally I would always dial 999 in a medical emergency. It would delay matters if I rang the GP first.

I was under the impression you don't call the gp? I would ring an ambulance first then when they get there give them all the clients details and if they need me to ring the doc I will x

Latest posts

Back