Client says bio sculpture lifting on day one??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unas escarlata

Reaction score
I had a young lady who works in Starbucks ask for bio sculpture after having her hair done on Thursday. She'd previously been to an NSS four times, often pulling her hand away because the filing was making her fingers burn. Of course I asked her why she had been back to experience pain like that three times more and she said she didn't know any different. Attached close up of her paperthin nails.

I removed her old polish (she had picked off her NSS enhancements) did usual dry prep, file, handwash, sanitise, vitamin dose and executive base topped with a layer of sculpting before I applied two coats of colour. I always pass over the free edge with my brush to ensure the edges are sealed and I topped with flexi as her nails are like tissue. I applied oil and gave her an aftercare sheet stressing the importance of aftercare, wearing gloves, applying oil etc. She was delighted with the look. Unfortunately I'd just sold my last bottle so said I'd order it in and call her when it arrived. This was Thursday afternoon.

Saturday morning I called her to say the oil was in, if I was in my room with the door shut, the girls would know where it was and could sell it to her. She didn't come. I am in Th, Fri, Sat, salon closed Mon.

Today she came in and spoke to one of the stylists saying that 4 of her nails had come off on day one. Index, middle and thumb on dominant hand and one on other (not sure which). They have called me and asked me to telephone her. I can't help but think she's pulling a fast one. Why didn't she call on Thursday or Friday if they had indeed come off that quickly, why didn't she tell me when I spoke to her on Saturday......she works in a coffee shop, steam, hot water, handwashing la la la, she has been used to NSS nails being held on with superstrong stuff and I think perhaps hasn't looked after them the way bio needs looking after.

Before I call her back, have I missed anything? Should I have done anything different given that she had paper nails? Reading back, I think I may have answered my own questions - she's a picker, works in a steamy environment but how do I tell her it's not my fault?

Feel a bit daft, dealt with far worse in my prev life but as this is the first time this has happened, I feel woefully unprepared.

TIA

Attachments

• jf.jpg
    jf.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 1,671
surely one of you 45 readers has something to say??:)

Flexi-Gel is used as a finishing layer for medium to hard nails that will give a shine and medium end result to the gel application.

I would use either s-gel or sealer gel

I dont us executive base, do you use on all your gel overlays? x

I think you're right in that it sounds like you've done everything you need to to give her the best nails possible and it certainly answers your own question when you say that you're sure she hasn't followed the aftercare correctly.

I'm not sure what course of action you should take but I suspect that if you listen to your instinct, it will be speaking very loudly right now....hope it all works out for you :)

Flexi-Gel is used as a finishing layer for medium to hard nails that will give a shine and medium end result to the gel application.

I would use either s-gel or sealer gel

I dont us executive base, do you use on all your gel overlays? x

That's really interesting, I was taught that Sgel was for those with quite tough nails whereas flexi was for bendy nails - hers were very thin and flexible hence my choice of flexi

Yes, I always use exec base, do you not, and if not, why not, I'd be pleased to hear....never had this problem before...

thanks

I think you're right in that it sounds like you've done everything you need to to give her the best nails possible and it certainly answers your own question when you say that you're sure she hasn't followed the aftercare correctly.

I'm not sure what course of action you should take but I suspect that if you listen to your instinct, it will be speaking very loudly right now....hope it all works out for you :)

Thanks laurakate, you're right, my instinct is screaming at me! :irked:

I've used sealer gel on damaged nails with great results. No lifting. Hth

I don't use executive base or vitamin dose as in my experience they can cause lifting to occur.

Jacqui xx

hey!
i use no executive base either, i apply clear gel, two layers of colour and then clear gel again, if they are really thin then add a second layer of clear gel on top. my clients prefer not to use the cuticle oil
hope this helps x

I am a newbie to Bio but we were told during training that if someone was used to wearing Acrylics then it may be worth using S-Gel as their nails are used to the strength from Acrylics. For someone who has not had Acrylics we were told for bendy/soft nails to use either Flexi or Sealer like you say x

The latest is that I've called her twice and she's not answering the phone.

Very interesting that a number of you don't use exec base, might have to give that a go....does it make soak offs more difficult? I've NEVER not used it, not even on my own nails...

I don't think it makes it any more difficult.

So long as you give the gel a few good swipes with your file before wrapping it should be fine.

Jacqui xx

I prep, dual cleanse, clear, colour x 2, clear or s-gel, dual cleanse...

Been doing them like this since 2008 and never had a complaint or nail lift! (touch wood) ...x

How close to the cuticle were you? If you have a picker and her nail might have lifted with her help at cuticle then she prob helped them "come off"... My thinking is...if you did something wrong, wouldn't they all come off?! Hum... Good luck hun x

they never admit to picking them off! look for signs such as flakes and nail surface damage.

Try without ex.base and use sealer gel, make sure your layers arnt too thin.

Send a txt with your offer of fixing them for free maybe? x

We've finally spoken and I do smell a rat....

I asked in a joky way how she was and how she'd managed to lose some nails and she said they'd fallen off on day one. I said what a shame it was that she hadn't mentioned it when we spoke on Saturday but she said they didn't fall off until that evening to which I responded that I did them on Thursday didn't it (knowing full well I had!). She said she has been wearing gloves at work etc and she's coming in to the salon tomorrow for me to take a look.

Thanks everyone for your advice

they never admit to picking them off! look for signs such as flakes and nail surface damage.

Try without ex.base and use sealer gel, make sure your layers arnt too thin.

Send a txt with your offer of fixing them for free maybe? x

It'll be very tricky to see more nail surface damage because they were shocking to begin with, I'm going to give sealer a go with no exec base tomorrow, thanks.

Ive fixed up a fair few people who have been to the nss and theyre always the worst customers. 1 reason being their nails struggle to hold onto anything unlike better nails, even Bio and reason 2, they are used to hard, long wearing nails.

Just keep stressing the fact that bio is her only option if she wants beautiful strong & long natural nails, if she cant put the hard work in herself then send her back to the nss!!
Good luck xx

Latest posts

Back