clients who leave infills too long (lengthy thread)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extensionten

Reaction score
question: if you have client/s who insist that they DONT need to come every two weeks, dispite my advice, and then come back after 3.5 or 4 and they have say one come off, or a chipped corner, would you be surprised?

I have some clients who are great and book in on the day for two weeks time... and then a couple (who are hairdressers) who just leave it about a month or if they have a problem ... then ring me and complain that one just fell off!!!! I explain that they are out of balance, that the length is now much longer... but its like :grr:

They then expect a replacement for nothing ... and make me feel like I must be doing something wrong for it to of popped off!!!

I c some people charge MORE for three week, four week maintenence.. ie instead of 15.00 its 20.00 then 25.00.

I was thinking of putting it more strongly on my homecare sheet that if they do not rebook for two week maintenance and problems occur after this time they will be responsible for them and not me... put in a nice way of course!

If your client called you after a week with some nails off, would you say that was your fault or theirs... I'm NOT talking about lifted nails that have come off from something you may of done but if some of the tips had broken at the free edge.

I'm just wondering about this, cos up til now... I always blame myself, and it is now only one/two off, but I can't keep saying to them "oh, it must of been me, sit down and let me replace that tip for nothing... and you need a rebalance... that's free too" as I feel guilty!!!

Must get tough - need to educate them More don't I.

What do you all do?

I too was guilty of taking the blame when clients had problems. Now I give them an aftercare leaflet explaining how they should look after their enhancements. If I get really naughty clients now who I know aren't looking after their nails and don't attend for the recommended reblance, I charge them accordingly. I am not going to charge them for a treatment which should take me 1hr but, because of them, is taking me more. My time is money and so is yours.

If you give clients free repairs and don't charge fully for your services, they will not value your work. I actually find that the more I charge, the more they look after their nails and appreciate my services.

If a client wants to rebook for longer than 2 and a half weeks I always advise them that they run the risk of maybe losing a nail as they should be maintained every 2/3 weeks.

If a client lost a nail after this time I would state that she is overdue for her infill so it is not surprising it came off, so when would she like to come in for her infill.

If a client loses a nail BEFORE her two week maintenance, then if there is evidence of the client picking or chewing the nail off then I charge, if for any reason it looks as if it is my fault then I do not charge.

The only reason a nail would come off and it not be the clients fault would be down to bad prep, and if you are confident that your prep is good then maybe take a look at the clients lifestyle and is she a picker, a chewer, or both!!!

I always charge by the number of weeks between appointments. some people can go a bit longer bit they are fewer than they think. Most people need to have enhancements maintained every 2-3 weeks if they don't do that that's their fault & should be charged accordingly. Rebalancing after 4 weeks takes more time and product than after 2 weeks so they should pay for it.
IMO if I was a client having my nails done every 2 weeks & looking after them & my friend was not looking after hers & having them done monthly but still paying the same I would be pretty P****D off.
I had a situation awhile back when I had 2 sisters in law in at the same time one had her nails done after two weeks the other had gone longer. When the naughty one asked why her sister in laws were cheaper, I said thats because she comes every 2 weeks when she should.

The regularity of the infill appointment should not be set in stone at 2 weeks. TBH most of my clients are 3 weekers, some 4 and a couple could go 5 or 6 if they really wanted. It all comes down to how quickly the individuals nails grow and how well they look after them. At the end of the day most do listen to my advice, although I do have some 2 weekers that could go 3, but they prefer to have them done more regularly, and I don't charge them less because it takes ME less time to do them. to those that don;t listen and try to eek it out more then they usually have several breaks, I charge for these and it compensates for the extra time taken, which isn't that much extra anyway.

We're here to earn a living, not and unregistered charity. I agree with Chris, if you charge properlythen they are more likely to take better care of them.

thanx everyone... I have redone my aftercare leaflet... FULLY explaining maintenance and the importance of. I have also put the prices of replacement nails should they loose after seven days. Unless of course it really and truly "just slid off!" ha ha. I also have made mention that I can nomally "see" mechanical damge compared to "just coming away"!!! I think that if nails were to "just come off" it certainly would happen quite earlier than seven days don't you all?
anyway thanx gonna get tough - I do agree that you look after what you pay for. and some people if they think they can get away with it... they will try it on!!!

extensionten said:
thanx everyone... I have redone my aftercare leaflet... FULLY explaining maintenance and the importance of. I have also put the prices of replacement nails should they loose after seven days. Unless of course it really and truly "just slid off!" ha ha. I also have made mention that I can nomally "see" mechanical damge compared to "just coming away"!!! I think that if nails were to "just come off" it certainly would happen quite earlier than seven days don't you all?
anyway thanx gonna get tough - I do agree that you look after what you pay for. and some people if they think they can get away with it... they will try it on!!!

Hun I wouldn't bother with explaining if you can tell how they came off. Most people are honest and will say how they came off. If you can tell why they came off - ie yours or their fault, then you need to have the confidence to tell them so if you think they are pulling a fast one. I normally do the odd freebie if it's within the first 7 days as a gesture of goodwill, but I don't advertise the fact as I do charge if they just haven't listened to my aftercare at all.

I am repairing 1 nail today which I will not charge for since the client concerned is elderly, looks after her nails as best she can and is very accommodating when I want to jugglie her appointments. It is a bit of give and take and using discretion.

ohh goodness i have this problem also..it drives me nuts..i just opened up a new salon also ..i feel for you...some folks want something for nothing....i guess ya just have to be kinda firm with them ...im loseing my ARSE on this also,,,,,:Scared:

Sassy Hassy said:
Hun I wouldn't bother with explaining if you can tell how they came off. Most people are honest and will say how they came off. If you can tell why they came off - ie yours or their fault, then you need to have the confidence to tell them so if you think they are pulling a fast one. I normally do the odd freebie if it's within the first 7 days as a gesture of goodwill, but I don't advertise the fact as I do charge if they just haven't listened to my aftercare at all.
thanx sassy... still on that learning curve!!! will be firm but fair.. take your advice and wont put too much re nails coming off...
just want others points of view on what they do/ dont do, cos it can be a pain. i know that some shops will charge even if they come off next day (mate of mines colleague got charged 6.00 for one that lifted off next day - a bio sculpture one) - she paid up and didnt argue, and imo maybe that is a bit much. anyway.
Thanx all x

meow_1 said:
ohh goodness i have this problem also..it drives me nuts..i just opened up a new salon also ..i feel for you...some folks want something for nothing....i guess ya just have to be kinda firm with them ...im loseing my ARSE on this also,,,,,:Scared:
be firm. make em pay. nothin for nothin.

well, I posted on here a few weeks back about a new client of mine that had gone 6 weeks since her new set went on and came back for rebalance with no lifting whatsoever and none missing or broken! I was gobsmacked! they had grown a fair bit but as she had looked after them so well I didnt charge her any more for the service.

Today she came back for 2nd rebalance, was booked in for next week as she assumed she could easily go 4 weeks, 3 of them were trashed!! she doesnt know how she did it but she had split one diagonally right across the nail and the other two half way up her nail going straight across!

I only needed to soak off and do an overlay on these 3 as her nails are a nice length now. I normally give one repair in my rebalance and charge all others at £3 each, I thought i'd compromise and do them at £2 as they were just soak off and overlay. I was not going to do them for nothing! what incentive is there otherwise for her to look after them?

here a photograph of my one lady that doesn´t seem to think she needs to come more often than just once every 6 weeks.....

i haven´t a clue why she leaves so long......i wouldnßt dare go out to work or on the street with them....:rolleyes:

Why on earth would peeps let their nails get like that. Defeats the purpose of having them done in the first place.

nailnanny said:
here a photograph of my one lady that doesn´t seem to think she needs to come more often than just once every 6 weeks.....

i haven´t a clue why she leaves so long......i wouldnßt dare go out to work or on the street with them....:rolleyes:
i would never leave the house if my nails looked like that i would be so embarrassed!
your re balanced hand looks lovely though!

Rach xx

see... my point exactly.... now look what you are faced with!!! she has sooo picked off that missing one! :smack: :rolleyes:

extensionten said:
see... my point exactly.... now look what you are faced with!!! she has sooo picked off that missing one! :smack: :rolleyes:

To her excuse,that nail got ripped away by some stubborn bedding in the hotel she works in;-)Also,does she clean the bathrooms with some real killer-cleaner,OF COURSE without gloves!!!

Now those are just nasty. when you see nails like that you just picture the person wearing them has a real 'fag ash lil' image.:Scared:

Latest posts

Back