CLIPPING CUTICLES - Client requests

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Urban Geek

Mobile Nail technician
Reaction score
I have had about half a dozen enquiries, mostly from German, Russian and Polish ladies, asking specifically if I trim the cuticles. They don't want a manicure if the cuticiles are not trimmed.

I have tried to explain why I don't do so but they aren't interested.:rolleyes:

What would you do? Would you be willing to lose that custom or would you trim the cuticles if the client insists?:confused:

I perhaps would sort of say "Let me book you a Free consultation and we can discuss why & what you think needs trimming " this way you can see what they are calling "cuticles" and why they feel they need trimming it may be that you can gift them a mini solar oil ask them to use it explaining that if the correct care is taken of their cuticles & nails they should not look overgrown or dry as I think this is why most people think they should be trimmed poor education and lack of care. Get them to book an appointment for the next week when there should be improvement:hug:

I perhaps would sort of say "Let me book you a Free consultation and we can discuss why & what you think needs trimming " this way you can see what they are calling "cuticles" and why they feel they need trimming it may be that you can gift them a mini solar oil ask them to use it explaining that if the correct care is taken of their cuticles & nails they should not look overgrown or dry as I think this is why most people think they should be trimmed poor education and lack of care. Get them to book an appointment for the next week when there should be improvement:hug:

It is not that easy Karen believe me. When they enquire, I do give them a brief consultation with advice and recommended product(s) but their preference is for cuticles to be trimmed.

I do hate trimming cuticles and only have done so on severe nail biters, etc, but I don't want to be turning potential clients away if it can be avoided.

Thanks for your feedback!:hug:

I would refuse point blank to do it & lose the custom. Personally I believe professional integrity is far more important than doing something I am unhappy about doing & believe is not in the client's best interests. I believe to do otherwise is to risk becoming someone's skivvy rather than an informed professional offering a service.

I would refuse point blank to do it & lose the custom. Personally I believe professional integrity is far more important than doing something I am unhappy about doing & believe is not in the client's best interests. I believe to do otherwise is to risk becoming someone's skivvy rather than an informed professional offering a service.
I completely agree :green:

If after explaining to the client about why we don't cut the eponychium they still want the treatment performed I would say a definite NO.

I completely agree :green:

If after explaining to the client about why we don't cut the eponychium they still want the treatment performed I would say a definite NO.

I agree...we should never cut live tissue!

I'm with the others...haven't done it in 13 years and always managed to explain why and I wouldn't do it now, nor would any of my staff, no matter how insistent client was.

(I do understand insistent clients Chris, but personally I still wouldn't do it:))

I used to get it quite a lot with some of the more mature clients and when I worked in the spa we were told that we HAD to do it !!!

I very rarely get anyone ask for it now and If I do its usually mid treatment so I just say no and explain my reasons for not doing it.

The best 'excuse' I use is to tell them that its not covered by my insurance and if I were to cut them it would be my head on the block. I think some of them of got a bit huffy before and ive just made a point of saying im not willing to risk my career over it, that usually does the trick :)

If you explain gently, politely, friendly but firmly that we 'don't do that' anymore because research has shown that the skin will grow back faster, thicker and harder to protect the nail (you don't have to get scientific) then I find they either have learned something they weren't aware of or they don't return but you should also teach them how to soften and reduce cuticle and recommend which products and how to use them.

In the majority of cases, it's and education they have never had:)

I have had about half a dozen enquiries, mostly from German, Russian and Polish ladies, asking specifically if I trim the cuticles. They don't want a manicure if the cuticiles are not trimmed.

I have tried to explain why I don't do so but they aren't interested.:rolleyes:

What would you do? Would you be willing to lose that custom or would you trim the cuticles if the client insists?:confused:

I get that too, her in the city we have lots of continental ladies that are used to having them cut....
My reply is: I am not allowed to cut life tissue, I am a Nail Technician not a Nail Surgeon... I do not have a surgeons license.....

I then explain that this is not necessary as I have wonderful products that will help to eliminate non living tissue...
What is actually being cut away is not the so called cuticle but the protective skin that is there to protect the matrix.....the guardian.... and it causes scaring, hence the thick skin build up..... work with me and I will help you to soften this bulky skin and after a month of non invasive cuticle work you will never have them cut again....cutting is done for speed and not because it is necessary.....

That usually wins them over..... I take my time and I have taken the CND code of conduct, to preserve all that is living and dissolve all that that is not.....

Would I loose that client ,yes, because if an infection, god forbid, does set in, they will come back to you and blame you.....as they say, no blame, no claim LOL xxxxx

Thanks everyone for your valuable feedback. You have reassured me to stick to my guns regardless. I do try and educate them about living tissue, products, home care, etc, but they don't seem interested. I guess it is a cultural thing too. I'll need to work on how I put things over and hopefully I will get through to them.

Thanks so much - I will hang on to my integrity! xxx:hug::)

I agree with the others....stick to your guns...and your principles!! xx

Latest posts

Back