CND Shellac discolouring

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok this oxidising of Shellac was bothering me, so I spoke to my sister (who is a scientist) who has looked over the ingredients of Shellac, drawn some complicated diagrams, waffled off something about chemical reactions and electrons, and said no. It does not happen. If it did, it would happen to everyone. Your client does not have a unique chemical composition of her nails.
And on another note, shellac as a lacquer - used on furniture, boats etc, is used to prevent oxidisation.
Kind of feel like your client should get points for effort though!

I would say it's a clothing item, something she just won't think of it being. It happened with a client of mine wearing a new black gilet, fortunately she took full responsibility for it, she's a regular and knows these things don't just happen!!

Whatever you do, don't do it for free again...

Oh my goodness, thank you so much and your sister of course. That made me laugh out loud.
She came back and said if its under cured it can... I have no idea where she is getting it from? Plus I use a CND LED UV lamp.

Definitely the client. I would say food, turmeric in curry powder. She doesn't have to cook it herself either. My daughter-in-law came back with the same staining and when I said either fake tan or curry had caused it she denied both. Then when she thought about it she admitted to having a take away curry. She had used a knife and fork but had forgotten about when she had dipped her nan bread in the sauce.
They have very short memories some clients!

A client of mine had the exact same thing happen to her nails, they were French painted and looked just like your clients and she said it was from using fake tan (thankfully she owned up straight away and knew exactly what it was). She'd been using one of those gradual tanners that build up over time and not washing her hands properly after.
I hope you manage to get some answers with your client! In the mean time try not to beat yourself up too much, easier said than done I know but listen to your gut. You know you've done nothing wrong and all these excuses she's coming up with are laughable really but 10 points for trying I guess!
Hope that helps

Sam x

Does she not understand that if it was you, you've painted the WHOLE nail with the same top coat from start to finish therefore the staining would cover the WHOLE nail that you worked on!! Some people!!

Is it on both hands or just the left hand as both photos are of the left?

Just tell her you're not taking responsibility because it's NOT YOUR FAULT and you're done hearing her wild theories to the contrary.

That looks like a spice - turmeric, saffron etc are the main culprits ... if she gets takeaway and is not very careful when removing the lids and turning the food out this will result in staining exactly as shown in the pictures.

I had a client who had been peeling oranges for her daughter and it stained her nails took us ages to figure out what it was as it's not her that actually eats them so she had completely forgotten abou doing it.
It's not you it's her. What about flowers? Lily's can stain. I agree when it comes to things like this clients can have very short memory's and are very quick to point the blame! [emoji4]

Yours does seems particularly pigheaded though

Thank you ladies.

She has said she doesn't eat any spicy food at all or use fake tan. I really an stumped.

She said next time she will have gel instead!

Does she use an anti ageing face/eye cream?

And is it just the one hand, or both? That could be a vital clue in this mystery

I'm not sure I'll ask her.

Make you use another pale colour with gel so it will happen again then she will realise its her [emoji6]

I have had this happen to clients including myself it is from the clothing mostly black trousers or dark jeans.
Look at the pattern on the stain. That should tell you.
I so sick of clients trying to get free bees.
If it hasn't happened to anyone else it happened to her only ! Wow I wonder why.

What you can do in future, I do this to all my naughty clients. Apply a thick topcoat polish the ones made by gel company to protect your gel like Calbrook makes a calguard purple polish. Then the colouring can get wiped off after a few days , doesn't completely solve the prob but helps.

Otherwise tell her to soak hands in milk if the stain is food related or lemons( I have done this myself and it works )

Have you tried wiping the stain with D:sperse?

And is it just the one hand, or both? That could be a vital clue in this mystery

Poor Blossom....she must have asked 3 times if it's just one hand!!! Just answer her before she implodes :p;)

Did you say it was only happening to one hand?

Then surely she can see it's not the polish!

Does she use an anti ageing face/eye cream?

No anti ageing cream and it's both hands.

Latest posts

Back