Coffee spatulas for eyebrow waxing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you can get bags of 100 for about a £1/£2 from most beauty suppliers....why would you sacrifice hygiene for that amount of money??

I use Hive wooden tapered spatulas , if you watch Lori's DVD , The Ball Of Wax , you know what I mean . xx

Sallys actually sell the smaller sized spatulas so why the tutor was using coffee stirrers is pretty odd.
Xx

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

The college I've just finished had the smaller wooden spatuals designed for eyebrow waxing. Surely they can be bought from any supplier, so cutting out the need to take from a coffee shop :?::?:

Ok I totally get that but I never once said anything about re using them. The college I used to work at taught all their learners to place all non metal tools and implements into the UV cabinet prior to using so that they were clean/hygienic. Everyone disinfects but in various different ways and this is only good practice. However, I wholeheartedly agree that any disposable items such as wooden spatulas are used only once and then disposed of

I would never recommend re-dipping to a learner although I am aware that it is common practice in industry due to cost effectiveness

Okay, let me apologize first, I am sorry I jumped on you without reading your post better. I see wood stick + uv light= red flag! Can you see where I misunderstood you? :(
That being said, our clients are getting better educated in the infection control and prevention which puts us in position of showing them that we Are different from chop shops when it comes down to hygiene and cleanliness.
As a client, they would much rather see you take a wooden stick out of a plastic bag then pull it out of your uv sterilizer. (Uv sterilizer is another one that gets to me )

Also if it were so pointless then no one would even spray such tools with disinfectant never mind put them in a UV cabinet. I do get where your coming from but to me it is simply good practice and ensures those who are in training understand the purpose of good hygiene and good practice :)

We all know how bacteria multiplies, anyone that has taken their proper training should know that it is actually pointless. It is next to impossible to disinfect/sanitize or sterilize anything that has a porous surface. I have taken my medical training and implemented it into my "beauty" spa and let me tell you, other than the clients, no one was pleased with my decision. Right down to the health inspector! Who said to me: "You will monopolize the spa industry in your area, because the regulated standard in our practice doesnt require autoclaving." I was firm in bringing it to the next level and within less than a year my client list tripled thanks to word of mouth. Is it necessary, NO. Not for what we do, but it sure makes the client think twice about coming into a salon that has metal implements just sitting all willy nilly on the manicure table. Yes, I am insane, I have been told :(

We all know how bacteria multiplies, anyone that has taken their proper training should know that it is actually pointless. It is next to impossible to disinfect/sanitize or sterilize anything that has a porous surface. I have taken my medical training and implemented it into my "beauty" spa and let me tell you, other than the clients, no one was pleased with my decision. Right down to the health inspector! Who said to me: "You will monopolize the spa industry in your area, because the regulated standard in our practice doesnt require autoclaving." I was firm in bringing it to the next level and within less than a year my client list tripled thanks to word of mouth. Is it necessary, NO. Not for what we do, but it sure makes the client think twice about coming into a salon that has metal implements just sitting all willy nilly on the manicure table. Yes, I am insane, I have been told :(

I could not agree with you more on this and more power to u for sticking to your guns! :-D xoxo

Okay, let me apologize first, I am sorry I jumped on you without reading your post better. I see wood stick + uv light= red flag! Can you see where I misunderstood you? :(
That being said, our clients are getting better educated in the infection control and prevention which puts us in position of showing them that we Are different from chop shops when it comes down to hygiene and cleanliness.
As a client, they would much rather see you take a wooden stick out of a plastic bag then pull it out of your uv sterilizer. (Uv sterilizer is another one that gets to me )

Oh ok I get you now. No need to apologize hon I think we're both reading from the same page here and yes clients are becoming way more savvy which is only a good thing in my eyes because it keeps us all on our toes and forces us to continue to be the best we can. I also get where you coming from regards the brand new spatulas out of a brand new bag but unfortunately that is just far too costly for many colleges working with an already impossible budget. It's a shame but it's the way it is unfortunately what with all the cuts xoxo

Oh ok I get you now. No need to apologize hon I think we're both reading from the same page here and yes clients are becoming way more savvy which is only a good thing in my eyes because it keeps us all on our toes and forces us to continue to be the best we can. I also get where you coming from regards the brand new spatulas out of a brand new bag but unfortunately that is just far too costly for many colleges working with an already impossible budget. It's a shame but it's the way it is unfortunately what with all the cuts xoxo

That is how we were taught as well, while in the school, and working on one another. But it was stressed that as soon as you are out there and working on paying clients it would be unacceptable. If I am gonna do what I love and make clients feel 100% safe with me I will have to swallow the cost of those disposables. I have gone as far as to train in sugaring in order to be able to offer more variety, threading as well. All that so that I can save in the long run

I always use the lollipop stick tupe spatulas.....i think clean and easy are about £2 a pack. The smaller ones are too bendy lol xx

I want to share this with you.....
not expensive, lovely guy who runs it Terence, loads of different types of waxing strips, sells wax too, which I dont buy cos sugaring but he sells all sorts. I only use him now for spatulas, cheapest I found and very smooth no splinters , which I have found in ones from capital, sallys and other places. Very good place....the better waxing warehouse in Hampshire. Say Fee at Sugarflick recommended, he may give you a discount.

Latest posts

Back