Coffee spatulas for eyebrow waxing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemzygem

Reaction score
I receently did a waxing course with 'Sallys beauty supplies' and was taught to do eyebrow waxing with coffee spatulas! The tutor had actually taken them from mcdonalds! Being that the course was held in a place that sells beauty supplies, I found it strange that they didnt have a spatula speifically designed this, having said this I know a girl who has just finished her first year at college doing beauty, where they were taught to snap a large spatula in two to do eyebrows. I tried this but the spatula often splinters and I do not like to put this near a customers eye so I have been using coffee spatulas as they are the right size/shape. I find it hard to believe something so simple is not available?

What do you use ?

i use waxing spatulas. i split them in half then half again. Never once had splinters in anyones face. are the coffee spatulas not really bendy. I've tried waxing spatulas that were similar to coffee ones but didn't like them. Just use what you're comfortable with and get best results. I've also used the roller head type, they're good too once you get used to them
lol it is pretty funny that a beauty supplier doing courses would basically tell you not to by their beauty supplies

you can use orange sticks. or capital do a spatula that are smaller for eyebrow waxing.
x

ooo would an orange stick not be way to thin? if they have a large area to wax under the eye surely you would have to do two rows?
at the college i went to, they had a starbucks and we often used their coffee stirrers! they were great!
xx

Really not sure why they need to be broken in half ... they aren't exactly expensive!

Hive and others do smaller size spatulas that can be used for eyebrows, I use them for ears for example.

Mat

I also use the clean and easy eyebrow spatulas from Ellisons or Capitial...
... don't like the idea of all those hands touching the coffee stirrers before I get to them

I find that using the correct tool for the job gives the best results...so small and purfectly formed eyebrow spats are the tje best thing to use. They are just like coffee stirers so they work as well....but stealing for Starbucks doesnt sit well with me.

I was sure they were widely available.

However, I do have a few clients that like the 1mm thick surprised eyebrow look and I find it easier to use an orange stick for this. This would work out expensive if I used one orange stick per client.

Gx

I have spatulas in all different sizes. I do use coffee stirrers as well as others for eyebrows.
I wouldn't get them from McDonalds etc.........
People go to the toilet and don't wash their hands and then rifle through them :eek: I don't even use them to stir my coffee when i'm there!
I get mine online and they're cheap enough.
Wooden Coffee and Tea Stirrers 5.5 inch (1000 stirrers) :: Discount Coffee

Really not sure why they need to be broken in half ... they aren't exactly expensive!

Mat
they're broken in half to make them smaller, not to save money

If i were to use a coffee stirrer they'd need to be brand new and not taken from a fast food place. I used to work in a deli where they gave out cheese samples. Environmental health did a random check on some of those samples and found 7 different folks urine on them. People were obviously putting their hand in the sample dish after not washing their hands at the loo. Really disgusting. I don't take samples from food places now.
Think everyone should just use what works for them and is hygienic

I use coffee stirrers, I think mine are from Discount Coffee too, same as Angelina.

i do too snap a large spatular in half! i have once worked in a salon that bought special eyebrow spatulas from sallys. i have also used orange sticks when i have run low on spatulas!

I use the eyebrow spatulas from capital at college we were taught to split them aswell but I thought it was much easier to buy them

At college we were taught to split a regular size one in half but there is a knack i think and you can end up wasting a few spatulas until you get the right size. I use small eyebrow waxing spatulas now from sallys and love them, have also used the clean and easy roller which i liked too. I did actually see some coffee stirrers in a local garage whilst getting a coffee the other day and thought they'd be good to use too, they look just like the ones i bought! wouldn't steal them though! :)

. . . . makes me wonder what other unprofessional advice so called 'trainers' are dishing out!

I said this before - but you won't catch me lowering my standards and using equipment on paying customers where there is a hygiene risk.

IMHO go buy some sticks - it's a tiny necessary cost!

Hi,

Can't believe an actual trainer brought stirrers from McDonalds!

I used orange sticks while I was at college but found these a little bit messy, so I now buy mini spatulas from Aston and Fincher wholesalers - do you have an Aston and Fincher near you? These are like lolly sticks but obviously in sealed packaging and labelled as spatulas. They're really not expensive either.

Luscious85 x

Hi there
Actually you can get spatulas specific for this but I cant remember where from... possibly Capital Hair and Beauty. I teach Beauty Therapy and its a H&S requirement not to snap the large sptulas in two but then I was taught to do that at both colleges I attended. Some people use orange wood sticks, which I do agree allows for a much better appplication of the wax but it is a bit risky to have a sharp object next to the clients eyes

Stick with the coffee sticks, we use them at college when we cant get a hold of the smaller spatuals and they work just as well!

I get the coffee stirrers from our work canteen they put them aside for me so I know that they havent had many smelly hands on them before. They are the perfect size but I dont snap them in half because of the possible splinters! :)

I have spatulas in all different sizes. I do use coffee stirrers as well as others for eyebrows.
I wouldn't get them from McDonalds etc.........
People go to the toilet and don't wash their hands and then rifle through them :eek: I don't even use them to stir my coffee when i'm there!
I get mine online and they're cheap enough.
Wooden Coffee and Tea Stirrers 5.5 inch (1000 stirrers) :: Discount Coffee

Thats where I get mine I wouldn't dream of taking them from a public place, my clients H & S comes 1st when they visit my salon.

the thought of trainers admitting they stole to trainees leaves me gobsmacked:irked::eek:

I split a normal spatula length way because I like the pointed edge to be against the grown for a sharp finish.

However, you can buy the spatula's you're looking for from DEO 01245 354807. I think it's really bad that the tutor is stealing coffee stirrers by the way. xx

I use wooden coffee stirrers (new) and my man cuts them cleanly in half with his table saw (electric). Makes them perfectly smoothly cut.

Latest posts

Back