College Interview

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKenna

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Now this may sound a little bit silly but after many a life decision, I have decided that the beauty industry is definitley where I want to be! Yay! :D After 25 years I've finally reached a realisation!!

So I looked at all these short term solutions and pondered and pondered but now I have decided to bite the bullet and do the 2 year college course (along side the signature5 foundation with CND)

Thats the plan, however . . . I have an interview for the course on 17th June and, putting it bluntly, I'm scared!!

Apparently the course is so popular that my chances maybe slim (the thought of competing against uber trendy 16 year olds isn't helping!) and I was wondering if anybody had any tips for the interview! I cant even think of what to wear! The whole thing has really got me dazed. :rolleyes:

I have been told to bring along some research of the industry, which I've done but when it comes to the interview . . . is determination enough?!

ANY help on this matter will be greatly appreciated!!

McKenna xxx

Uber trendy 16 year olds are a pain in the tonsils on the whole.
As a mature student you will bring, guess what!, maturity to the party. You're going to be far more motivated and commited than some of those 16 year olds who think a career in beauty is a doddle. Oh, how wrong they are!
You're not likely to show up on a Monday morning still hungover, or text in with period pain, or forget your homework, or give up after a term because "it's, like, way too stressful"
You're not likely to give the tutor any lip either. You're a dream student!
Wear smart clothes, be well groomed, not overly made up, no bitten fingernails, clean shoes.
Ask lots of questions about the course, about the support, the industry enrichment weeks, the alliances they have with local businesses.
Go to local salons/spas and ask for their opinion on the calibre of students turned out from the college too.
Let us know how you get on!

Hi you will be fab!!! I agree with the statement above as the mature student is just what they want, anyway don't knock yourself like that they must have a mixed range in ages you'll be surprised I bet there are people on the same course ages with you. I am 23 and have just had my second baby I do spray tans at the moment and have just been accepted into my local college so some would say I would be too old even tho i'm only 23 but thats rubbish. I was being informed there is a wide range of ages varying from the school leavers to the more mature student. Just keep calm and think about what they are going to ask you before hand such as to why you want to join the course etc. Also explain you are passionate about the beauty industry hope this helps. You'll be fine!!!! Let us know how you get on and good luck xx

I'm just completing my Level 3 Beauty and I highly recommend it. It has been a real hard slog and if I didn't have a salon to juggle which I opened at the end of September last year, I would have really revelled in it.

Go for it, enjoy it and you'll be great! xx:D

Oh and I am 50 next year (help!!!).

I'm just completing my Level 3 Beauty and I highly recommend it. It has been a real hard slog and if I didn't have a salon to juggle which I opened at the end of September last year, I would have really revelled in it.

Go for it, enjoy it and you'll be great! xx:D

Oh and I am 50 next year (help!!!).

Here , here iv just turned 40 and completed my HND Beauty Therapy , hard too but worth it in the end , go for it hun :D

gosh i think it is a bit harsh to class all younger people in the same boat, granted some don't do themselves any favours at all but not every young person is like that. it's a horrible way to start thinking of younger people because then there is always going to be that stereotype and stigma attached to them.

as for original post then seriously don't worry! just turn up dressed well, you don't have to go in anything like a suit just something smart like black trousers and a white top, something like that. so long as you are clean, smell nice and look presentable then there wont be a problem what so ever with your appearance.

when i was at college there was a girl on the course who didn't have alot of money, she smelled bad of stale fagarette smoke and sweat and didn't look at all well dressed either, on top of that her teeth and breath needed a clean too and a few of the girls in my class was bitching about her and the tutor said that she would have a word with this girl who didn't look/smell good and she did have a talk to her and because we all knew she didn't have a lot of money the tutor even offered to provide her with the deoderant - so if there is anything wrong with your appearance then don't worry you will get pulled up about it.

if you don't get on the course in september for some reason though to be honest i'm not sure why you wouldn't get on the course then maybe you could ask if after christmas they will be enrolling again as honestly people will start the course and be all full of beans and then they'll realise that it isn't just giving people fake nails, it is more about health and safety and science and people start to drop out. so if you don't get on the course don't forget to ask them about other alternatives like enrolling through out the year or if there will be any kind of waiting list that youcould be added to and keep following it up. also, there will more than likely be other colleges in your area that offer beauty courses so have a nosey around :) where i am there are 3 within 25minutes drive (though there hours all seem to be the same which is a bit rubbish :()
x

Wow guys!! Thankyou so much for the replies!! My confidence has certainly been boosted tenfold!! I'm more excited than scared now!! :D

I will certainly let you all know how I get on!

Its nice to know that there is a chance I wont be alone on the course! (age wise!) And although there has some been some talk of stereotyping, perhaps the trendy teenagers will be ok (albeit hungover! lol Lynne!!) however please appreciate that when faced with a pack of them - it can be intimidating!!

I'm hoping that the tutors who are interviewing me will realise that I'm one hundred percent commited to becoming a beauty therapist! I'm in absolute awe of people that own their own salons and want that to be me oneday, skipping ahead slighty i know, but you've got to have ambition!!

Thanks again SO VERY MUCH for all of your replies, they'll definitly be at the forefront of my mind whilst I'm there! its so nice having this support system here! I look forward to knowing a little . . . scratch that! knowing ALOT so I can contribute more to others posts!!

McKenna xxx

Hi! I'm training to be a teacher at the moment and there are a mix of people on the courses. Its fab! It isn't only 16 year olds. Honestly you will love it. Colleges love candidates who want to succeed and i'm sure they will grab you! Good luck! xxx

Ooooh and about the interview. Unfortunately i haven't interviewed students yet so can't help too much. But i remember treating it like a job interview! Dress smart but comfortable. Remember you want to impress them with your brain, ambition and determination to succeed, not if your wearing real uggs or not! (Lol i might try that as a joke! no only joking!) They will probably ask you why you have chosen beauty as a career path. Maybe what you are excited about learning the most? Your excitement and passion will shine through i am sure :D

HI,

I am also a mature student and am loving every minute. The tutors seem to love that I ask questions and have some experience to share with the class. I have also found it easier to get work experience than my younger class mates as the salons know that I have customer service skills and can have a conversation with my clients!

Just remember that it is not just them interviewing you, but you should interview them! Ask about links within the industry, age range of the classes, support, facilities, outside speakers/demos, product ranges that you will be trained with etc. etc. This will also show that you have done your research and have come prepared.

Good luck and let us know how you do!

:D:D Yay!! I got in!! :D:D

I have to officially enrol on 2/7/10 but it's pretty much signed and sorted!! I am SOOOO excited!!!

Once again a MASSIVE thanky:Du to all that took the time for replying and making me see the bigger picture!! It really lifted my spirits and has definitely been a big advantage!!

I'm so happy that fate has dealt me this hand!! lol!! xxxxxx

Latest posts

Back