Colour Advice please - long story please bear with me

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wondefulday

Reaction score
Hi all,

I would really appreciate some help with colouring.
I’m probably one of those people that’s not liked on here, I’m 34 last year I passed my NVQ2 in hairdressing. I loved it, I feel very at home cutting and I honestly wish I’d done this much earlier.
Anyway, my course was not brilliant, overcrowded, mixed levels and a rolling programme so anyone could start anytime, a very stressed and generally odd lectuerer. I’d like to think that city and guilds would be very alarmed if they knew what went on at my college. Plus it was a night course, one night a week 4.30 – 9.30pm and I passed in 8.5 months, I know its shameful, but I did do whatever I could to bring my self up to a higher level. I did have a very good independent salon as my placement, I worked for free every Saturday and they let me use the salon for assessments and later on I worked for them for 4 months cutting and colouring.
I did put in extra hours and one of the girls at the salon did extra training sessions for me, I subscribe to myhairdressers.com, and spent lots of time doing extra study.

So the result is, I’m comfortable with my cutting, happy I can visulise the result and achieve it, however I do not feel the same about colouring. I struggle so much with deciding the right way for a client.

I feel I don’t understand the basics, I think we had four lessons on colour! I know how to find the base colour but I struggle to work out what tone the hair is and therefore what I need to choose to cancel out unwanted tones.

For example I’m doing my friends hair tomorrow, base 5 (looks fairly warm to me) with a good two inches regrowth of blonde highlights, in good condition, she wants an all over blonde.
So I’m opting for Loreal platifiz, as I have a large area to cover, then I have bought a majiblonde 900s, to tone.
I’m completely fine with application, timings, it is purely down to choice of product and colour.
I’d appreciate advice on tomorrows problem and any suggestions on how I can build my colour knowledge, book to read.
Many thanks
H

L'Oreal run a series of courses called colour keys. These would be ideal for you. They start off with basic principles, and work along to more complex.

900s is not a toner, it is a neutral toned high lift tint.

Thanks for your reply,
Oh no, would I be best to use the 900s today then, or just use the platifiz?
Will the 900s lift her hair enough?

I will look into l'oreal colour keys. I really need some extra help.

hi hun listen dont feel scared to ask we are all here to help , i qualified 18 yrs ago but have hada break and am just getting back into it ,
so i too am scared to death of coloring , lol persianista is a fantastic help on the hair board as she knows everything there is about color esp loreal :green:

i would say deffo do the color keys course i am going to do it in july and they are not expensive either so thats really brilliant ,

i have also just been on a matrix contemporary cutting course which was good , got shown a few tricks i didnt know before but also refreshed my basic cutting skills ,
i am just gonna try go on any courses i can this yr just to make myself feel more comfortable x

900s wont lift enough for a nice clean blonde! as said it is not a toner its a high lift. lift the hair to a yellow blonde (past the orange stange) and then tone with a semi to knock the last bit of warmth out! I agree colour keys would be great for u! x

900s wont lift enough for a nice clean blonde! as said it is not a toner its a high lift. lift the hair to a yellow blonde (past the orange stange) and then tone with a semi to knock the last bit of warmth out! I agree colour keys would be great for u! x
dia richesse frosty milkshake is nice 901 x

Latest posts

Back