Colour help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gigi74

Reaction score
Hi. Being a bit scared of colour i am determined to face my fears and tackle a new colour challenge. My client been home colouring for years mid length to ends almost white blonde quarter inch re growth of level 6/7. Two inches from re growth has different tone of blonde which i have managed to bring the re growth up using a wella 10.96 9% now want to colour touch mid to ends to match above colour. Tested ct 7.73 will post photos to show you but its gone too dark and tested ct 88.03 and its gone a weird steel grey !! Wanted to use a couple of different colours/tones to break up that white blonde where am i going wrong and what would anyone suggest?! Mid lengths quite porous but can withstand ct + 1.9% to deposit some colour. got a few days to get to wholesalers and do more testing but help and advice be much welcome!! Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20150426_132503.jpg
    20150426_132503.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 75
  • 20150426_131957.jpg
    20150426_131957.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 71
  • 20150426_132503.jpg
    20150426_132503.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 65
  • 20150426_132302.jpg
    20150426_132302.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 68
Right getting confused here...

Natural depth 7 quarter inch of root.

Midlengths and ends 10?

Golden band below regrowth

Did you lift up the band with 10/96 and 9% or the natural root?

Right getting confused here...

Natural depth 7 quarter inch of root.

Midlengths and ends 10?

Golden band below regrowth

Did you lift up the band with 10/96 and 9% or the natural root?

You want to match it to the 10/96?

the gold band was already there as was the mid length to ends, i lifted the root to 10.96 I just want to colour match the ends to the 10.96 yes.

Just un sure which levelof colour and tone to deposit to the white blonde mid to ends, i know i should add some warmth back in maybe something with a /3 not sure what level with. i don't want to have to buy lots of different colour levels just for the sake of trying them all out! Thanks x

But are the roots a 10/96 or are they darker and warmer?

But are the roots a 10/96 or are they darker and warmer?

They are slightly darker and warmer than a 10 more like a 9.3. I am just testing out 10.96 with 12% on the roots too.

She originally wanted full head foils but now i have seen the small amount of re growth i really think the only option is to do a full head as she says she won't wait any longer for her hair to grow wants it done yesterday! Explained that she's not going to get that highlighted look she wants with yet another full head colour. So she's asked me to break up the white blonde by matching it up to roots (10.96) i would prefer she waited for her hair to grow really as i wanted to use spatula for highlights instead of foils and i would have more re growth to play with!!! She also would have liked some low lights in there too to break up all the blonde. You know when you say yes to someone and then feel like you're in way out of your depth?!

They are slightly darker and warmer than a 10 more like a 9.3. I am just testing out 10.96 with 12% on the roots too.

She originally wanted full head foils but now i have seen the small amount of re growth i really think the only option is to do a full head as she says she won't wait any longer for her hair to grow wants it done yesterday! Explained that she's not going to get that highlighted look she wants with yet another full head colour. So she's asked me to break up the white blonde by matching it up to roots (10.96) i would prefer she waited for her hair to grow really as i wanted to use spatula for highlights instead of foils and i would have more re growth to play with!!! She also would have liked some low lights in there too to break up all the blonde. You know when you say yes to someone and then feel like you're in way out of your depth?!

You can definitely get it to the highlighted look!

Options are

1. Foil all the blonde you want with conditioner and colour all the hair left out with spatula or just as is.

2. Foil in some lowlights.

3. Do some balayage lowlights.

Thanks but a little confused now lol i still need to do her root tint to match to the gold blonde (just below root) then colour touch some of the mids to ends to match the above, then throw a low light in there too to break up all the gold blonde!! I know its probably easy to most geeks but i am stepping out of my easy bleach-foil highlight and predictable results comfort zone as i really want to be good at colour and sick of it holding me back as a stylist !!! Thanks for your replies :)

Thanks but a little confused now lol i still need to do her root tint to match to the gold blonde (just below root) then colour touch some of the mids to ends to match the above, then throw a low light in there too to break up all the gold blonde!! I know its probably easy to most geeks but i am stepping out of my easy bleach-foil highlight and predictable results comfort zone as i really want to be good at colour and sick of it holding me back as a stylist !!! Thanks for your replies :)

Why don't you lift up the gold band so shes got nice clean light blonde with the lowlights.

If it makes you comfortable, lift up the band first, then foil out the blonde you want with conditioner and colour the hair left out darker, you could colour it to the same depth as her root then on the next appointment all you need to do is full head foil her root. Make sure you charge accordingly!

Well here are the results of ten mins colour touch 1.9% on mid length to ends so glad i did tests the hair is absolutely shot! Years of xxl no doubt!explained that i am happy to try lifting the roots to a cleaner blonde but won't be low lighting the ends any time soon. Went out and stocked up on lots of colours anyway to do more testing, i have tried to lift the root with bleach and 4% as it often comes a cleaner blonde doing low and slow but because there isn't much natural re growth to play with i am slightly over lapping onto gold band, which in turn is causing some damage and becoming chewing gum like the ends did. Testing a 12.16 on root now, last resort as running out of options. This lady has seriously wrecked her hair its like candy floss. Thanks cams for your much appreciated advice! Not sure what Will happen, depends on result of last test x

Attachments

• 20150427_144127.jpg
    20150427_144127.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 20150427_144149.jpg
    20150427_144149.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 46
Why would you need to bleach the midlengths and ends anyway? Cant understand why you've done that?

12/16 for what? A toner? As a highlift on its own? It's gonna be very warm on a base 6 or even 7.

Why would you need to bleach the midlengths and ends anyway? Cant understand why you've done that?

12/16 for what? A toner? As a highlift on its own? It's gonna be very warm on a base 6 or even 7.

???? You've lost me there I didn't bleach the mid length to ends i put a ct on to test the how it would re act with gentle low lights. Yes the high lift was used a 'test' to see how it would turn out. Like i said i am looking at all angles and since i had no colour suggestions i have tried a few different ones.

???? You've lost me there I didn't bleach the mid length to ends i put a ct on to test the how it would re act with gentle low lights. Yes the high lift was used a 'test' to see how it would turn out. Like i said i am looking at all angles and since i had no colour suggestions i have tried a few different ones.

So its broken from ct?

Yeah but what are you doing with the highlift? Toning or lifting?

So its broken from ct?

Yeah but what are you doing with the highlift? Toning or lifting?

Yep it went like chewy from colour touch 9.3 1.9% after 10-15 min. Yeah meant to be trying to lift root with high lift, my thinking was .1 ash and .6 violet would neutralize the gold? But that's my rusty theory?! Would you say the 10.89 would be better? Anyway had a chat with her tonight and so pleased she has decided to wait for another months re growth and i think maybe joico k pak reconstructor or anything better you would recommend? I was right as she fessed up to the live xxl abuse ! She has used it twice and she knew her hair was at breaking point. Getting married in a year so wants a long term plan for better looking hair. Even thanked me for being honest enough to say why i wouldn't do it now until condition improves. Any suggestions for improvement v welcome. Thanks for yr time :)

Well that tells you its probably an incompatibility issue then, her hair contains metallic salts. You cant colour her mids and ends at all.

Ash won't neutralise anything. You're not just exposing yellow though are you? If its a 6 you're going to orange and yellow! 12/89 would definitely be better, i'd even add 0/81 to it.

I agree that there must be something funny like cams said. No way would ct and 1.9 cause breakage after 15 minutes!

If there metallic salts present, doesn't the hair have to be cut off?

Why didn't the reaction happen with the first strand tests?

Latest posts

Back