Colour patch test..not doing one

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolgilchrist

Reaction score
i know you HAVE to do a patch test before a colour but is there some sort of form the client can sign saying they are willing to have the colour done without a test? :confused: if so do i make this form or do can i get one from the NHF?

Would you be willing to do a colour on a client without doing a patch test? :/

I think its safer to do test their was someone that went round loads of salons and got eyetint knowing that she was allergic and would go blind temparally and suied them all for no test would def do one

thats just wrong! im just askin this because i sometimes get clients walking in asking if i have time there n then to do their colour..but the test has to be done 24/48 hrs before the service

Even if someone signed a disclaimer and said they were happy for no skin test it doesnt mean a thing. Wouldnt hold up in court and isnt worth the paper its written on. At the end of the day its not worth the risk, would you risk your insurance not paying out because you didnt skin test and having a client sue you ? There is no way in hell i would do it. The choice is yours but when i way up getting paid for a colour or to pay out thousands i know what id rather xx

thats just wrong! im just askin this because i sometimes get clients walking in asking if i have time there n then to do their colour..but the test has to be done 24/48 hrs before the service

Then that's what you tell them. :)

Then that's what you tell them. :)

So true, I quite often have people wanting colour there and then and I always refuse, it's just too risky an area!

I was talking to a friend earlier today, she told me about when she had a perm done a few years back, she said she'd told the hairdresser that the now dark hair was dye over very bleached hair. The hairdresser didn't do any tests, and within 2 minutes of the perm lotion going on, she said the hairdresser went really really pale, and quickly started washing the perm lotion off. Her hair was breaking at the roots!:eek: She managed to save some of the hair, but my friend went around with her hair in a ponytail for months, to cover up the bald patches, until it grew back.

You can learn from the mistakes of others as well as your own.

I have, on occasion, done a colour without a patch test.

It is not something I would advocate though. As long as you check they have no allergies, have never had a henna tattoo and no skin conditions, you can be safe.

L'oreal were trying to get some sort of a legal document drawn up, so you can colour without skin testing but I don't know how far it has got. Most people are ok, so they argued it was a case of checking out any previous problems via questionnaire and using your common sense.

Patch testing is not always fail safe either. I once tested a customer 48 hrs before but they then went on to have a mild irritation after the colour, even though the patch test was negative.

Not many hairdressers patch test every colour, which is a recommendation every 6 weeks, as it is time consuming and often inconvenient to the client.

A tricky one I think.

I've only ever had a client sign any sort of document once. A lady had brought her daughter in for a colour one Saturday and wanted to be blonde all over. She'd brought a picture of a character from Gossip Girl to show how she wanted her hair. Ultra full head blonde. It was do-able and I'd previously been highlighting her hair. I gave her the colour she wanted, she was happy and went on her way. We close at 5 on a Saturday. One of the girls in the salon had taken a call from this girls mother and told me she was coming it to see me at 4.30 as her daughter is not happy with her colour. She turns up at 4.45 and refuses to leave the salon until her daughters colour gets sorted. The mother was actually really polite and pleasant but I could see she felt stuck between her daughter being upset and my professional advice. I spent HALF AN HOUR getting this girl to tell me what she wanted me to do and WHY she didn't like her colour. It was like getting blood out of a stone!! I figured she just wasn't used to being FULL HEAD block blonde as I've found a lot of people take a little while to get used to it. Even I found it a job to get used to. She said she wanted to be her natural again all over which was like a base 8. Basically we disagreed back and forth and flat out REFUSED to leave the salon. In the end I wrote out a form saying the client was to take full responsability for the outcome of the colour, consented to having the colour done AGAINST my professional advice etc etc. Although people say contracts and such aren't worth the paper they're written on but I had to do something to cover my arse in that situation!

And I have to add, I thought the colour was lush and gutted when she came back saying she didn't like it. This was when I first qualified and I was dead proud of myself lol but you learn!

Latest posts

Back