Colouring over bleach?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sash1

Reaction score
Hi all, hope everyone is well, i am just after a bit of advice. I have a new client, she usualy has full head bleached highlights and has done for a long time so alot of the hair is bleached, it is now growing out so she has about 2 inches of her base shade 6 and she has decided to have full head of majirel Basic 9, so has anyone got any tips on how would be the best way of evening it all out so the hair comes out one colour, and how i would go about this as there is such a difference in colour between her highlighted hair and natural regrowth, also will i need to pre-pig the highlighted hair. I think im just making it all more complicated than it is as my mind does sometimes go into overdrive.
Hope this all makes sense.
thanks sash

Hi all, hope everyone is well, i am just after a bit of advice. I have a new client, she usualy has full head bleached highlights and has done for a long time so alot of the hair is bleached, it is now growing out so she has about 2 inches of her base shade 6 and she has decided to have full head of majirel Basic 9, so has anyone got any tips on how would be the best way of evening it all out so the hair comes out one colour, and how i would go about this as there is such a difference in colour between her highlighted hair and natural regrowth, also will i need to pre-pig the highlighted hair. I think im just making it all more complicated than it is as my mind does sometimes go into overdrive.
thanks sash

I would have reservations about this also , I think with over highlgihted bleached hair like this I think you should try and keep things as simple as possible
I would suggest that you go in and break it all up with caramel and toffee lowlights in nice warm base shades in sevens but no lower than a six this will give the illusion of it being two shades darker , and it wont be so drastic , for her , leave a few lighter bits around the face
I think this would be better than trying to get bleached hair to a perfect shade 9 that she may not be able to get used to just yet
:hug: just a thought x minky

Hi thanks Minky, i did try and suggest that but she said she is desperately wanting to get away from different colours through her hair, thats why she wanted to an all over colour. If i did get her to opt for that, will i need to pre pig the bleached hair first before putting any colour over bleach?
Thanks sash

Hi, well I still wouldnt let her push you into something you are not too sure of....
after all you are the hairdresser she should really take your advice :)

as I cannot see the condition of the hair at all and as you say it is very highly bleached , the pourosity may be very patchy,
my suggestion would still remain the same , to lowlight it all with warm caramel shades
sorry if this is not what you want to hear :hug:

If you are still going to go ahead
with a full head colour on this highly bleached head ...... do make sure you do plenty of test peices first to test the colour of your choice
preferably using a tint from the naturals range 0/3 which will contain a bit more warmth in it.

also pre pigg the other test peice with a little 0/33 mixed with a little water and dry off, then try a few other colour choices that you like,

So.... lots of test peices are needed here before you attempt it
then you can make a better colour choice
hth :hug: x minky

Hi Minky, Thank you very much, i will be seeing her soon to try my best for the lowlights, fingers crossed i will be able to change her mind. i will keep you updated on the final decision and the out come.
Thanks again,
sash

thanks sash

sash, i understand how you are feeling now, its very confusing. i am just like you, but i have done a lot of colour correction services for clients and maybe i can help you with some advices. if you are really going forward with it, you gotta prepig the highlighted hair with a suitable diluted prepig solution applicable for level 9, dry it fully before you apply the colour. for the roots use the colour + 6% peroxide because its just 3 levels higher, for the prepiged ends, use the colour + 1/3 base 9 (or just the 9 if she chose a base colour) + 3% peroxide, apply roots then midlengths to the ends, make sure you recommend her a set of colour extension shampoo/cond as bleached hair dont retain colour very well. ALSO, make sure you let her know you will do your best but because different areas of the hair has different porosity, meaning it will absorb differently making a tiny slight colour difference and if she wants a perfect colour, she will have to come back to you for another 2-3 times to refresh the colour with a semi, that way the colour will lock in better and it wont jeopardize the hair.

good luck and hope it helps.!

Wow thanks for the advice siulum1314, It all makes sense what you have said, but not sure if i dare lol, but thank you very much for the advice. i will defo make notes for future reference.
Thank you
sash

hi , can i just say , that depending on how much regrowth there is a 9 is going to come up quite warm , and may not be as light as on the colour chart . Base 6`s are notorious for having hidden warmth in their hair .

hi , can i just say , that depending on how much regrowth there is a 9 is going to come up quite warm , and may not be as light as on the colour chart . Base 6`s are notorious for having hidden warmth in their hair .

Hi, yes, Liana you are Brilliant at colour advise , I love looking at your replys :hug:

this means gold tones on roots and bits between the bleached highlights will have gold tones too ,
a base ten with ash/silver may give more lift to the roots but would have to be swapped over to natural base ten with no ash in it for putting over the highlights and mid lengths and ends to treat the darker bits in between , and as the developer would have to be quite strong to lift up the darker bits in between therfore it wouldn't be doing the highights that much good either......

and ash cannot be safely reccomended for over the highlights or mid lenghts ends because the highlights may grab with the ash
hope that made sense lol x

oooh what a headache for you sash :hug:

i agree with minky on this one, try your hardest to push for the foils first, and lots of em, when i have this situation, i always always always go for an /03 or a /7. . in wella the 7/7, 8/7 and 9/7 look great on bleached hair, and i dont pre pig with them because they are warm enough to hold their own. When i did this last, it was a girl with base 5 regrowth, i did loads of foils and applied the tints in 9% on the roots and with 6% on the bleached hair, and it blended in marvellously and even though the colour was slightly warm on the roots, twas ok, cos it is a slightly warm colour anyways. . dunno if that helped or if i blethered again lol x

Hi, scottydolly , no not blethering at all lol x :lol: it makes perfect sense
and it sounds really nice and well blended too :hug:

I did one of my regular bleahced hair clients a while ago. I used 9/1 + 9/0 (wella) 9%on the roots, and 9/0 + 9/03 with a touch of 9/1 6% on the ends. With 5 mins to go I rubbed it all in togerther to make sure it blended. It looked fine, all blended and a nice colour. You just need to be honest with your client and say it will have to be a warm colour, as it can go khaki otherwise, and that the result may not be immediatly what she wants, as that will take a few applications. And warn her that it will fade.

I also did my boyfriends sisters bleached hair, she was natural 7, so we just put Colour Touch 7/7 and 7/0 on and it was gorg!

Hi, there used to be a lovely colour in colour touch I think it was called light golden sand in an 8 and it went over most highly bleached hair like a dream
it never grabbed and was a beautiful warm level 8 colour ,

but..... it was taken off the market as usual like all the great colours I :eek: don't know why they do this when they sell so well ?

I was told by wella that you can actually make it by mixing two together ,

does anyone remember what the number of this colour touch was ?

its 8/73 minky

its 8/73 minky

Thank you liana , I wish they would bring it back , what numbers would you use to make it ? I have forgotten :hug:

i wud use 3/4 7/73 and a 1/4 9/0 lol. . u still get 6 and 7/73, i jus used them the other day lol X

WAIT no lol u still get 8/73 LOL in colour touch, the colour touch deep browns lol x

My gosh, thank you all very much for the great replies,, i know exactly where to come next time i have a dillema lol, yep straight on here, I have learnt so much just through my one post.
Thank you everyone,
Sash x

Thank you liana , I wish they would bring it back , what numbers would you use to make it ? I have forgotten :hug:

I guess the closest to it is 9/73 with 7/0 and 7/3?? Maybe?
Or what about using it in KP with pastel. Or are there closer shades to it? Hmmm will have to go lokk at the chart on tues lol x

Ooops I was thinking there was no 7/73 left either and that that would be the closet maybe to it, but there is, so half 7/73 and half 9/73 lol whoops x

Latest posts

Back