Complaining acrylic client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hey

I recently done a new client's nails who seemed happy when she left.

She since starting texting saying she's not happy. I have offered to have a look and fix what she's not happy with. She said no not until 4th July (over 2 and a half weeks away). I said I would have to see now as any nails would need I filled by then!

She is now asking for a refund. 4 days after the nails went on. Do most people offer refunds?

Any help appreciated!

Had this a few days ago someone complained about acrylic, we gave her a full refund, I would say to get her to come in ASAP otherwise two and a half weeks is quite late

Yeah but I was thinkin how many peoplel would come in, get nails for a wedding, birthday etc and then decide they weren't happy and get a full refund!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey

I recently done a new client's nails who seemed happy when she left.

She since starting texting saying she's not happy. I have offered to have a look and fix what she's not happy with. She said no not until 4th July (over 2 and a half weeks away). I said I would have to see now as any nails would need I filled by then!

She is now asking for a refund. 4 days after the nails went on. Do most people offer refunds?

Any help appreciated!
No!

There is the school of thought (of which I am a part) that keeping clients happy is not only how you act during the original service, but how you handle complaints. That's how most people will remember/judge you and it's important to handle this well. So...

Fair enough, if it's genuinely something you've done/forgotten to do which has caused this sudden horrendous ugly-nail syndrome then, by all means, have her in, fix them and apologise unreservedly.

However, she sounds like a real chancer out for a free set/infill! Explain to her that you are more than happy to work with her to get the look she desires but if she doesn't let you see them, then you can't possibly know what's happened and, as the nails were fine when she left, your policy unfortunately doesn't cover a change of mind.

The thing you have to remember is that you are here to make money. Yes, nails may be your one true passion in life, and that's amazing, you're lucky! But you're not doing it purely out of the goodness of your heart; you need to make money to live and if you were to pander to people everytime they changed their minds, then you'd likely not be making enough to live on. Look after yourself!

No refund until you have seen the nail and have established what exactly the problem is.

She can't have an appointment to fix the problem until 2 weeks time!! 2 weeks time would be time for rebalance so the nails will look completely different from 4days ago.

Tell her you need to see the nails today/tomorrow to rectify the problems or no refund.

Don't let clients push you around. If there is something wrong with the nails then I would want mine fixed ASAP. How is she going to collect the refund from you. If she has time to come and pick money up then she will have time for you to assess the situation and try to rectify IF there is something wrong with them.

Yeah but I was thinkin how many ppl would come in, get nails for a wedding, birthday etc and then decide they weren't happy and get a full refund!

Well then you need to try and be a good judge of character but this person does sound like she is trying to get somthing for free

Well then you need to try and be a good judge of character but this person does sound like she is trying to get somthing for free

Is not down to judge of character. It's about whether the nails the OP has done for the complaining client are in fault or not. She has to see the nails to rectify the problem and no refund should be given unless there is something seriously wrong which cannot be fixed which in most cases is not.

She has now text sayin she is looking into where she stands legally?!

What to do lol

Hi hun

This lady needs to come in for you to look and assess the problem before anything is done. I'd politely explain that as a policy (if this is what you do) you do not offer refunds but instead you invite her to return to your salon for you to assess her nails and see what/if anything needs to be done. You could also ask her to send you a photo.

You'll know if she is at fault or your. If its you then you can rectify the problem if its her she needs to be charged for the cost of repair.

My question is if she cant see you or 2 and a half weeks, how will she be able to return for a refund after 4 days? Im assuming she wants the refund now?

Be firm hun, give her a call, no texts, and find out what the problem is. But do not offer anything until you've seen those nails ;)

Love n hugs xxx

PS if you dont already, nows the time to give all your clients aftercare leaflets explaining the cost of nail repairs.

What to do lol
Oh, what a little delight - she's trying to bully you!

Stand your ground and be confident, she'll be able to see if/when you falter/don't seem sure of yourself. You CANNOT give a refund without seeing the nails. Also, as stated above, the idea that she can come get a refund but not an appointment is laughable!

And if you don't have a policy, make one! Much as I dislike constant paper-pushing, It'll make situations like this much easier to deal with in the future. Perhaps put a sign up noting the policy?

Marks and Spencer would not refund for a faulty product unless you took it back to the shop would they? She needs to bring these nails back to you to let you see them before you can decide what action to take, refund or repair.

What is a good policy to have?

What to do lol

She sounds like a chancer. Where she stands legally, is that she is not entitled to a refund unless you did something wrong. You cannot assess this until you have seen the nails and it has to be within a few days of the nails being done.

Tell her you've spoken to your solicitor/insurance company and they advise that you should see the nails immediately to correct them before any refund can be considered. That should shut her up! I hate people who think you will just jump because they use the word "legal".

She does not have a leg to stand on !

Put it ths way if she bought a hoover from Argos she can't ring them up and say I want a refund ! They would tell her to come to the store with the Hoover.

No one should give out a refund if you have not seen with your own eyes what's wrong.

She sounds like a chancer state your policy no refund unless you see the nails and you are at fault.

I've never been in a situation where I've been asked for a refund, and if I was ever to concede to a refund in the future they would have to be pretty exceptional circumstances (i.e blatantly my error or product fault).

Have you had this lady sign a client record card? I ask because on mine the client signs to say that the nails are her responsibility once she leaves the salon and that any repairs/breakages must be paid for. If you have had your client sign a similar CRC perhaps that would cover you as far as the sale of goods/services acts are concerned. I know that consumers are entitled to protection against faulty goods or services but there are so many variables that could occur once a client leaves the salon that I think it would be nigh on impossible to prove that a faulty set of nails was the fault of the tech and not the client.

Out of interest, what is she saying is wrong with the nails specifically?

That the acrylic isn't touching her cuticles! She must want them to lift lol I've offered her to come in this week and have them took off and redone if needs be but she wants her free new set in July!!

That the acrylic isn't touching her cuticles! She must want them to lift lol I've offered her to come in this week and have them took off and redone if needs be but she wants her free new set in July!!

God then definitely absulutely no refund and no free set!! I remember the very first time I had acrylics I rang the tech a few days later to say the acrylic didnt go all the way to the edge and she explained that it isnt supposed to and that it would be a fault if it did. Tell your customer the same, and if she isnt prepared to come and show you the nails but is demanding refunds/free sets she hasnt got a leg to stand on. Do not lose an ounce of sleep over this, it sounds very much like you are in the right and that she's blagging a free set.

A refund should be the very last thing to offer, sounds like she is just chancing it to me.

Say you can fix them for free but she needs to come in . Also, I wouldn't do anything by text, pick the phone up and call her. It looks more professional and she may not be quite so brave on the phone if she has to talk to you.

If she really hates them and won't let you repair them/re-do them, remove them completely before you give her a refund. That way she hasn't gained a free set of nails. Good luck x

Please don't worry about this I agree with juicylucy if it was me I'd send the following message.
Hi, I have contacted my insurance company and my solicitor in preparation of your pending case against me. Please can you give me the name of your solicitors so I can prepare my statement. As you were not prepared to allow me to inspect them at my earliest convenience, please do not send me any more messages, I await correspondence from your solicitor.

Bish bash bosh!

Bet you don't hear another thing! (I used to work in a solicitors back in the day)

Good luck and be confident xx

There are NO REFUNDS in this business. You've spent time and product. That's money. No refund is due.

Imagine this: You buy a dress at a shop, wear it for several days then you call the shop and tell them you want a refund on the dress because the dress is horrible. In the meantime you continue to wear the dress for the next couple of weeks then just before you go to collect your refund, you throw the dress in the trash. Do you think for one second the shop will refund your money? This is exactly what this client is thinking she can do to you.

You've offered to make the nails right straight away. But she wants to wear these supposedly horrendous nails for two more weeks? Seriously? Sounds like she had an event and wanted some lovely nails now she doesn't want them anymore....and come to think of it, she'd like her money back now as well.

You've tried to make reasonable accommodations. She's being unreasonable.

As far as what legal ramifications there may be, uh...NONE. You've offered her the opportunity to make things right. She's declined. She's not entitled to a refund simply because she demands it.

At this point, she declined all reasonable accommodations. Tell her, "Keep it movin', sister."

Latest posts

Back