Compulsory to wear make up in beauty therapy level 2?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honey1234

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am starting my level 2 beauty therapy course tomorrow at my local college and I was just wondering is it actually compulsory to wear make up when studying this course or is it just an option?

I'm only asking because I don't really wear make up because I'm not very good at it and wanted to wear it later when I learn how to apply it better because I don't feel that comfortable with it on at the moment. I will wear it if we have to though.

Anyone who has done or is doing beauty therapy level 2 please let me know I will reallyyyyy appreciate it. Thanks!

I am doing VCTC level 2 in Ireland, it said on our manual at the beginning we had to have nice make up, hair up in bun etc. but to be honest this is mostly just true to your actual practical assesments. On everyday classes it seems ok as some girls in my class never wear make up, but on assessments your appearance as a whole has to be very neat & proffessional, hope that helps!

I am doing VCTC level 2 in Ireland, it said on our manual at the beginning we had to have nice make up, hair up in bun etc. but to be honest this is mostly just true to your actual practical assesments. On everyday classes it seems ok as some girls in my class never wear make up, but on assessments your appearance as a whole has to be very neat & proffessional, hope that helps!

The course I'm going to do is vctc too.
Thanks for your reply! :)

At the start of my level 2 I always made sure that my make up was as perfect as possible, I wanted to look the part obviously! Eye shadow, mascara, foundation and lipstick.

We were first taught facials, so we had to practice on each other every week, so after a few weeks I couldn't see the point of going to all that trouble to apply it for it to be removed an hour later. Now I wear mascara and a lip gloss. Hair tied back out of the way.

We are being taught make up as our last subject, so in the last couple of weeks I imagine. As long as you are neat and tidy I don't think they will say anything.

Hope you enjoy your course.

I went on the first day with full make-up on. I'd had an eyelash perm and a manicure too.
It was actually a waste of time. We started on bed set-ups, followed by cleanse routine and were told in no uncertain terms that we should have bare nails!

Lol thanks for the replies guys. I was also thinking of wearing full make up and want it to look perfect so I was feeling so worried because yesterday when I practiced the make up it came out wrong.

I don't want to look like the odd one out or anything so that's why I'm all worried. I think I will just wear it tomorrow as it's the first day and see how it goes from there.

I'm just really worried about it slipping off my face mid day or something silly like that as well lol :D

If you wear makeup, keep it natural. If you choose not to just wear a tinted base and get a good skincare regime.
Not every beauty therapist is the same, its your choice to wear makeup or not, just as long as you look professional x

Sent from my GT-P5210 using SalonGeek mobile app

They want you to look smart and professional and able to have and give treatments, so at my college you have to have bare nails and no lash extensions. If you wear makeup it has to be natural and not over the top, but obviously some people wear more than others. Its not mandatory to wear makeup but most people do, I can think of one person that doesnt. Over the year we have worn less and had more makeup free days as we got to know each other and also if you know you're gonna have a facial anyway it seems pointless and you know you're helping your partner by not wearing it x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks guys for your comments. I feel much better :)

Our class got told off for not wearing make-up. They said it's our industry and we need to look the part. One of our trainers though said easiest option was to wear just some bronzer, mascara and lip balm. Even such a basic set of products can make such a difference and make you look more professional.

I hope you've enjoyed the first couple of days at College :).
It depends on the College's rules and regulations, but at my College we were asked to wear make-up on Salon days when we worked with clients as a nice, tidy and neat appearance is what clients expect from a beauty therapist and our tutor said that the make- up is a part of our uniform. We didn't have to wear make-up on theory days. We also needed to wear our hair up in a neat bun or something similar to keep it out of our face.

Don't worry too much about how good you are at applying make-up, even tough you will learn the basic techniques of applying make-up, you are training to become a beauty therapist, not a make- up artist :). A fresh looking make- up including tinted moisturizer, concealer if needed, a powder to set the foundation, blush, neat eyebrows and mascara should be fine!

I did hair and beauty diploma in one college when I was 16 and we was told to make sure we wear makeup which I found annoying at the time because I was 16 and never wore foundation etc just abit of mascara anyway I had to move and last year completed my level 3 beauty in my current area but we were never told to wear makeup, I do see why they encourage it for a professional appearance but you should do how you feel comfortable because that is how you will look and feel your best as long as you look clean and professional and present yourself nice I don't see the problem :)

Latest posts

Back