Confidence crisis

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glitterbox81

Reaction score
Nothing makes you doubt your skills quite like your only non friend/family customer of your newly started business texting to cancel her 2nd appointment :cry:

I text back saying I hoped there wasn't a problem with her first appointment (French Shellac) and to have a nice Christmas but she never answered. She has 2 wee kids and did say at her first appointment that she only ever gets her nails done for special occasions so hoping it is that she is too busy/skint rather than that I did a terrible job!

At least she let me know and isn't just a no-show. I'm just starting and haven't really advertised or anything yet apart from starting a Facebook page as wanted to get more practise in before properly pushing myself in 2013 but it would have been a nice boost to think that a total stranger would come to me twice. I know my French needs work so maybe it just wasn't neat enough for her. Or maybe it lifted quickly? She did have super short bitten nails and admitted to me while I was going through the aftercare that she wouldn't follow it. And that she's only had Shellac once before and it chipped in 2 days when she was cleaning and she's just let it grow out instead of removing it so maybe she's just not a nails type of person?

Urgh I hate this constant self doubt! Does it ever go away?

I'm also quite new and yes the pooey I'm.not.good.enough feeling does.go away . I qualifies in July and I now.have just as much if.not more clients..than.the local techs . However I used.to.practice soo much so I.knew I.was doing.as best I could regardless xx

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek

I don't know why you assumed there was a problem with her nails, and I do not know why you would suggest or imply it to your client in a text, that you think that might be the reason for her cancelling??

You should have responded in a professional up beat way and simply said ... Thank you so much of letting me know, especially at such a busy time so that you could accommodate another client and that you would look forward to seeing her again when she needs your services and wish her a happy holiday.

With all the info the client gave you re her nails and how she treats them as well as how and when she wears them, I'm surprised you had any self doubt at all! Truth is, I would never expect a nail biter to be a long term client .. 9 times out of ten they trash your work. There are notable exceptions and long-term successes but they are rare.

The more successful clients you have the more your confidence will build, but neither should you assume the worst NOR let your clients know you are assuming the worst regarding your work, every time you have an incident like the one you've just had.

Aaaaaaah I know exactly how you feel I only started in July so am a newbie too but I can assure the self doubt does go away and much quicker than you'd expect.

From everything you've said I have no doubt that the reasons your client has cancelled has nothing at all to do with your treatment.

I completely agree with geeg that you should never give a client any indication that you don't have confidence in your work otherwise they may lose confidence too.

Before you know it you'll be rushed off your feet I'm sure Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Thanks everyone.

I only said that because I figured if it WAS an issue with the treatment I'd prefer to know and have the opportunity to offer to put it right.

I think maybe I was just unlucky that my first 'stranger' customer was someone who was never likely to become a regular. Onwards and upwards!

Like yourself, as a newbie I have confidence issues and it's easy to beat yourself up and wonder why...but...confidence builds confidence! As geeg has said, you don't know whether there was a problem with her nails, or if there was, that it would be your fault.
I'm sure the more clients you do the better you will feel, but in the meantime, know that you are doing your very best and let it show! Keep positive and your clients will keep coming

Thanks everyone.

I only said that because I figured if it WAS an issue with the treatment I'd prefer to know and have the opportunity to offer to put it right.

I think maybe I was just unlucky that my first 'stranger' customer was someone who was never likely to become a regular. Onwards and upwards!

Perhaps you did assume it was a problem that made her cancel ... But that IS the problem with the way you texted the client. You shouldn't assume. By just inviting the client to use you again, you have given her the opportunity to let you know if there was a problem Without letting her think you were assuming there was one.

Believe you me, if they think there is a freebie involved, clients are not shy to let you know and to give you an opportunity to correct anything that has gone wrong, even when it is their fault things have gone wrong and not yours.

The advice given is to help you deal with these things in the future in a different and a more professional way, not to make you try to justify why you texted the client the way you did.

You are going to have to deal with many many more things like this in the future, and the advice given is to guide you with some basic principles to help you to do that. :hug:

The good thing about doing friends and family is that you get to see for yourself how the nails last. If they do, then take confidence from that. If not, at least you know and can work out where you may need to improve. Many people only have their nails done for special occasions.

Latest posts

Back