Confused - Probation?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miss_hkrs

Reaction score
I've been working in a well known gym/ spa for the last 3 months and obviously been on probation. Anyway i have literally been slaveing away for the last 3 weeks trying to impress the manager that is there 12 hours a week but only there for 3 hours of which i work.

I qualified in April so this is my first beauty position, had a massive career changed i used to be head of a marketing in a small dept at a uni. So a pretty life changing stuff.

I've had a pretty tough time since i've started working, i've had to put up with my partner being away for 5 weeks and no contact then him getting back and us breaking up and a few other bits and i've not shown the slightest weakness at work.

I did have a bit of trouble with my waxing to begin with but was fine once i'd settled and and 2 weeks ago my boss and i discussed it and she felt she may extend my probation as my client skill werent up to scratch.... bare in mind i've been in customer service for over 6years... but fair enough. Today i go in to have a meeting to be told that they would not be keeping me at all or extending my probation as i hadn't settled in quick enough...

I don't get it? I get on well with all staff, i have customers request booking me and am nearly always booked up.

What have i done so wrong? I love the job...if i wasnt fully booked i was cleaning right up until the salon closed.

what have i done?

I feel i didnt gel well with two therapists the ones she loves but i did like them and had alot of time for them and if i had a question i wouldnt shy away i would always ask. I feel one of the two has said something behind my back now.

Frustrated now as i honestly dont think i've been treated fairly at all.

All you can do is ask for some honest feedback from your employer, so you can work on whatever they aren't happy with for your next job.

The good thing is you now have some work experience under your belt, so this will work out well for you when applying for a new job.

Sorry to hear though. xx

I did and she said i wasnt settling in quick enough, i always arrived 30mins early for my shift so i could set up and prepare. i cleaned everything in my room daily, and all she can say is that and she never saw me with a customer.

Hmmm sounds a bit fishy to me. I would ask what to improve on for your next job?

Maybe you should directly ask if someone has said something? Ask the other girls there maybe.

Hope you find another job soon enough x

Sounds pretty hard but 'settling in' usually means getting on with the people you work alongside rather than anything to do with the actual job.

Ask her out right if this is the area where she thought things weren't quite how they should be, bear in mind that she may become quite defensive when you do this because she'll feel like she's having to justify herself but if you approach it in the right way you should get out of her what their expectations were and where it wasn't quite working for them.

As others have said, you've got some all important experience from it so move onwards and upwards!

Sounds like business is suffering and this is an easy way to save money.
How awful for you.
Good advice from TracyS though!

I'm so sorry to hear that, but as others have said at least you have some experience now. I hope you find another positon soon.

I'm slightly confused by one thing though. She says your customer skills were not up to scratch, but she also says she never saw you with a client? Hmm.

I'm so sorry to hear that, but as others have said at least you have some experience now. I hope you find another positon soon.

I'm slightly confused by one thing though. She says your customer skills were not up to scratch, but she also says she never saw you with a client? Hmm.
Well she seemed to think that i was too 'business like' as i came from a professional background but i was always talking to the clients and never about anything inappropriate just family, jobs, their weekends, etc.

But no she never saw me but the full time supervisor i didn't gel with did. I got on with all the staff and really liked them all i just didn't have much in common with the two that i didn't gel with and they were both immature.

Thanks for all your replies i won't now see the boss my shift hours are different to hers so wont get to ask. She said i didnt have to work the rest of the week but i would still get paid but i wanted to finish my bookings and not leave anybody in the lerch. I've decided to go back into a similar role as my last job and work for myself in evenings and weekends as i have to pay my rent somehow.

I would write to her and ask for some written feedback. If it's important to you. You seem conscientious, if you could build up a clientele you will do well. X

Thanks, i will write to her, i want to say thanks to her anyway for at least giving me the opportunity to gain some experience.

Onwards and upwards and if i manage to find an office job it means i can afford to send myself on Minx and lash perfect eyelash extension training!

Maybe the problem is that the clients do like you and are booking in with you and the other girl doesn't like it so has bad mouthed you to the boss. She might look at you as competition and wants to get rid of you.

I think this smells of jealousy! Your supervisor could well be threatened by your previous business experience, your passion and professionalism for your new career! There will be another position for you out there - as they say 'when one door closes, a window opens'
Take care & best of luck, (not that you'll need it, you'll be snapped up in no time!!)
Fiona :)

I was thinking the same soriminah, also unfortunately you'll find a certain breed of employee who know how to suck up to the boss but actually are lazy themselves, they hate to see someone coming in early and cleaning up their area too well, again - jealously. You may find a better employer out there, I don't suppose there is a possibility you could ask the customers for some references? (I'm sure thats a no go area but worth a try?) all the best, you seem lovely.:Love:

I think you've already stated your answer - you didn't gel with the full-time supervisor and she used her influence to get rid of you. This happens, because an employer can get rid of you during a probation period. Karma will get her in the end.

Latest posts

Back