Contra-actions to manicure/pedicure

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danielle.

Reaction score
Hi everyone, im new here. I'm pretty sure you've all seen this type of post a million times before from trainee beauticians but you can help me out just this one time right? :) I'm doing contra-actions that happen AFTER manicure/pedicure and I'm totally stuck. I got referred on my work because apparantely I can do better(yeah right) So far I have.. Allergic reaction, erythema, inflamed cuticles, bacterial infections(cross-infection) and ingrown toenails. Can anyone think of anything else? I must've searched ever corner of the internet, i'm not just being lazy and wanting to be spoonfed. Btw, we only have the basics in our books and what we have been taught is not enough. Thanks in advance :)

A contra action is not really something you would expect with a manicure/ pedicure. I certainly don't expect to give such a vigorous treatment that my client ends up with inflamed skin tissue and bacterial infection :eek:.

You may want to think more along the lines of contra actions related to nail products such as allergy to nail polish, moisturizing hand cream or sanitizer. You have already briefly mentioned allergy... so what could cause the allergy and what would happen as a result of this allergic reaction and how could you avoid the symptoms getting worse?

Hi there, and welcome! I've just checked my college booklet, and for manicure the only contra-actions they have is possible allergy....rash/erythema, especially from heat treatments. This is temporary.
In my health & safety booklet (which is generic for the beauty therapy units) there is listed oedema, dryness, erythema,excessive perspiration,itching, rash, breathing problems.

Hth, Lou x

Hi and welcome :green: I'm doing NVQ level 2 at college and have had similer assignments, we're told to keep it very simple... we had a manicure exam the other day with a similer question (it was a seen exam too, so basically our revision was exactly what was in the exam) anyway, we were told the answer was erythema and irritation. That was it. Also, if you can get hold of the Lorraine Nordmann "Beauty Therapy" official guide to level 2 (the big yellow book) it would be a big help to you me thinks :)

Hope this helps x

arent contra ctions something you have when in labour :)

Hi everyone, im new here. I'm pretty sure you've all seen this type of post a million times before from trainee beauticians but you can help me out just this one time right? :) I'm doing contra-actions that happen AFTER manicure/pedicure and I'm totally stuck. I got referred on my work because apparantely I can do better(yeah right) So far I have.. Allergic reaction, erythema, inflamed cuticles, bacterial infections(cross-infection) and ingrown toenails. Can anyone think of anything else? I must've searched ever corner of the internet, i'm not just being lazy and wanting to be spoonfed. Btw, we only have the basics in our books and what we have been taught is not enough. Thanks in advance :)
hi ya i set this question also and the answers i look for from students include..

discolouration of the nail plate caused by not using a base coat
split or torn cuticle caused by improper use of cuticle nippers
split nail caused by improper filing techniques
thinning of the nail plate- over buffing.

these ones are more specific to manicure/pedicure where as allergic reaction etc are more general.. I also ask for the cause of the contra-action and the solution.

hope this helps..

Contra actions are very well documented in beauty books and on the web :) it means alot of reading etc but it is what adds to your knowledge when other questions are asked. You will be surprised just how much knowledge you have picked up when you have finished your course :)

Latest posts

Back