copying someone elses nail art??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niksaki

Reaction score
Now this may be a silly q. BUT....just say your looking on the net for nail art and you find something unreal and that you want to do....is it ok to 'copy' it? i have been practising for about 2 weeks now and have ran out of inspiration and need some ideas but i dont want to copy someones work if you know what i mean....? :lol: :rolleyes:

I dont mean using there nail art pictures for anything other than to practise my own.....

Unless the design has been copyrighted (not sure if that words actually in the english dictionary) but anyway....

I don`t see there being a problem with re-producing something that inspires you - as long as you don`t just copy the photo and pass it off as your own (which some peeps have done / probably still doing ) - this is why you may see writing across piccies - so that peeps can`t do it.

If we all had to stick to designs that just popped into our heads and didn`t replicate some ideas - nail art would be pretty boring!!.

princessniknox said:
Unless the design has been copyrighted (not sure if that words actually in the english dictionary) but anyway....

I don`t see there being a problem with re-producing something that inspires you - as long as you don`t just copy the photo and pass it off as your own (which some peeps have done / probably still doing ) - this is why you may see writing across piccies - so that peeps can`t do it.

If we all had to stick to designs that just popped into our heads and didn`t replicate some ideas - nail art would be pretty boring!!.

Thankyou for that..i have seen some gorgeous designs and wanted to try them out but didnt want to do it until i knew lol dont want to get on anyones bad side or do anything illegal :lol:

we all get inspiration from many places. maybe if you see someone elses design and want to copy it, you may actually find a way to make it your own.

we wouldn't put our stuff out there if we didn't want it to be copied. besides, "imitation is the highest form of flattery"!

www.mynailsrock.com

it's kinda like a 2 sided coin, if it was one of my ideas i'd be pissed off, also, if you did it for a competion and i was a judge awarding points for originality, i would give you a zero, so long as you didnt try and pass it off as your own then i suppose that could be seen as admiration of the original, i understand you have to get ideas from somewhere, but outright plagerism is boring on your behalf, if all paintings were copies of others painting it would be a pretty boring world, unless each copy offered improvement on the original, or it was published as a tutorial

Many nail art designs are featured in magazines, on websites etc as step by steps - in my mind they are there, being offered for you to use.

I have copied many designs that I have seen of websites - although some I have asked permission for beforehand. It has always been freely given.

As has been said - I would never use a picture of someone elses work and pass it off as my own.

I buy stencils and paints and create designs - if it happens to be the same design that someone else has done using the same stencil and paint then how is that copying. Obviously if the design is an original using hand made stencils/masks then that is different.

nailzoo said:
it's kinda like a 2 sided coin, if it was one of my ideas i'd be pissed off, also, if you did it for a competion and i was a judge awarding points for originality, i would give you a zero, so long as you didnt try and pass it off as your own then i suppose that could be seen as admiration of the original, i understand you have to get ideas from somewhere, but outright plagerism is boring on your behalf, if all paintings were copies of others painting it would be a pretty boring world, unless each copy offered improvement on the original, or it was published as a tutorial
if your only doing it as you say, to practise your own skills then I see no harm in it.

jac extreme said:
if your only doing it as you say, to practise your own skills then I see no harm in it.

well yes, thanks girls. i had seen on a creative website (i think) step by step instructions on how to do certain designs and even which colours to use so i thought it must be ok, im just practising..i would never pass someone else work off as my own in a million years :lol: imagine if they seen it and asked if i could do it for them on there nails i would be like :Look_righ :eek: :Scared: LMAO but seriously just practising as have never even done art or anything. :)

we all feed off others we see something we like and then ad other stuff to it I seenothing wrong with a little inspiration

Not all of us are artists in the "design sense". I feel that my strength in my nail service is the application and the finished product (ie beautiful natural looking nails) however i can not to save my own life be "arty" !!! :eek:
so i do need the guiding light of those who are fabulously talented and i do need to borrow their designs to practise.
If it is on a nail art website or in a how to book i think it is pretty much open slather but if it is on this site then it is only manners to ask permission to reproduce it for others.

sometimes i get nail art block i can come online and see something that i copy,but i always like to add something a little extra to make each design unique.:idea: Sometimes a client can come 2 you and want a design that they had seen on one of your clients,that is definately a compliment.after a while it comes becomes natural to create you own unique designs.

Florentina Alexander
[email protected]
Nails At Last

No, I dont see it as 'copying'.

Were that the case, tonnes of discount clothing stores that aren't 'chanel' or whatever wouldn't exist.
They take their cues from the higher end stores,and whip out their own cheaper versions.
The same happens EVERYWHERE in all kinds of ways: music, makeup, hair, clothes, cars, houses, computers, etc etc.. I could go on for hours where alternate 'versions' or 'copies' can be found elsewhere.
Does anyone know who the very first person to use dried flowers in nails was? Is he/she suing our butts off? Umm nope, no solicitor at my door. How about yours? (sorry, just adding a little humor here). Or whatabout the glitterfade? Who did that first?

BUT as nailzoo said, had I done a 'style' or whatever that was 'original' and someone else 'copied' it for a competition.... I'd be irked. come up with your own idea PLEASE.

Just my two cents:wink2:

You should have a look on ebay for nail art books, I bought a really good one from Hongkong which had over a thousand designs. Some were a bit OTT and unrealistic but the majority were good!!! This only cost my £5.00 which is nothing, it was quite a small book, quite compact but there was alot in there.

Good luck finding inspiration ;0)

find inspiration in eveerything that you see in every day life.

some one could look at one thing and get nothing, someone else could find many an art in it!

just look around!!

www.mynailsrock.com

i don't really think there's anything wrong with it, but on the other hand, I have always done alot of nail art, & for a long time I was the only one in town that did. If you saw way out funky nails, they were mine. Then one of mt clients told me she'd seen one one of my designs on a display card at the local chemist. So being the sticky beak I am, I had to have a look. Every design she had displayed was one of mine, exact same colours & everything. I was very annoyed, she was passing them off as hers. I did get over it, but I did think it was rude at the time.
I tend to think it's best to take inspiration from other peeps work, not just copy it.
Do something to make it yours. thant's what I love most about it, with art I can really make it mine.

beautynails said:
Do something to make it yours. thant's what I love most about it, with art I can really make it mine.
I soo agree and I think thats the key here!

A few flicks & flowers is one thing but, if I pulled something out of the bag that was so obviously 'mine' and someone blatantly ripped me off then Id feel annoyed!
However, if I saw a set of nails that had used elements of my idea then Id feel flattered that I had inspired!

Perhaps you should ask the persons/companies permission before copy the picture. I have learned that all images are copyright this includes creative material that is put on the web.

nailnerd66 said:
I wanted to respond to your question about copyrights and nail art, I would tread very light in that area. I personally copyright all my original work. I am however willing to train the right people. Due to the complexity of the type of art work I do it is very important that whomever I teach must be willing to go the extra mile for the consumer’s safety . Otherwise my reputation is at risk and I receive anywhere from $500 to $800 per set of my exclusive Deck-A-Poshe’ Live 3-D™©.
wow that sure is a lot of money for a set of enhancements, could we please see one of your photos, also could you explain what "Deck-A-Poshe" means.

nailnerd66 said:
I wanted to respond to your question about copyrights and nail art, I would tread very light in that area. I personally copyright all my original work. I am however willing to train the right people. Due to the complexity of the type of art work I do it is very important that whomever I teach must be willing to go the extra mile for the consumer’s safety . Otherwise my reputation is at risk and I receive anywhere from $500 to $800 per set of my exclusive Deck-A-Poshe’ Live 3-D™©.
Would you mind filling out your profile for us please nailnerd66 and giving us more information about the systems you use and your training background?

I would just like to understand. Obviously I have no clue how intricate designs may get, but how do you copyright it or prove that if you saw something extremely similar or the same that they were copied? With the sheer number of nail artists now and it being a field that seems to be getting ever more popular with customers, at least here anyway, how would you ever prove a copyright infringement?

Latest posts

Back