Could cry my little eyes out!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeautyPrincess.

Reaction score
Ive been open my salon about 2 month now, i know its not long at all, but the past 2 weeks have been so quiet i have really struggled to pay my rent! and now im getting in my bills and i feel so down!! i feel like giving up already! just wanted abit of reassurance that it does pick up? ive done promo's and leaflet drop and trying to get a little help for some advertising in my local paper, any help and advice would be great thanks :hug:

its not just you the 1 st weeks of October are traditionally quiet the Xmas adds start on the telly the weather gets cold n wet and people start to economize this time next month the silly season will start xmas parties ect and you will be ok :hug::hug: then the january thing happens :eek::eek: its the same every year you have opened at a bad time BRAVE IT OUT X X and chin up

Don't worry hun, October is one of my quietest months and now you know how quiet you've been you can be prepared for next year to get some offers sorted.

November and December are crazy busy so enjoy your break while you can, lol, and fill your spare time doing anything you can..cleaning, paperwork, planning events or promotions, even writing out christmas cards or emails ready to send out later.

Yes you mustn't get upset. I don't know your previous experience but if your new (or newish) to the industry and this is your first salon, then you will loose money for in your first year. You need to dig deep, save money wherever you can and just hold on until things start to get better.

In my opinion there's too many 'bright and cheerful' threads on this forum trying to make it look easy opening a salon. It's not, it's incredibly expensive, stressful and let's be honest, success cannot be guaranteed!

Here's my advice:-

Forget about random leaflet drops and newspaper advertising, they're a waste of time and money!

Be very careful with special offers as you'll probably end up, only, giving it to your regular customers and gain no new ones.

The best type of advertising is word of mouth. Give every client a 20% voucher when they recommend a friend (who you haven't seen before).

Lots of my clients find me through the internet, if you haven't already, get a website.

Put your prices on your salon window. If you see anybody looking, jump outside and ask if you can help them.... some people just need a little encouragement to step through the door:)

HTH
jes

Of course it will pick up, The first year in a salon is always hard.Keep going.

not only is it your first year, it is also the quiet time of year. our salon is also quiet in october so dnt worry!

try yur local chamber of comerse or princes trust for grants for advertising and such, i got a bit off them, good luck don't let it beat you! xxx

HI
I opened my Salon in August,so I am new to this too,and I knew it was going to be hard, under no illusions!!! August & September were OK, nothing fantastic but I felt a good start to build up from, But like you October has been a nightmare, and I feel exactly the same as you, but I know if I give in now I will never know if I could of made a go of it so I am sticking it out, I have done leaflet drops and I am really trying to build up my website and hopefully this will encourage people to come to me when the time is right for them.
Hope this helps!!!!!

Thansk Sam

When I had my shop, the month I opened was October.

I had just moved back from a large city in another state, and had virtually no clientelle. At the time, I was doing hair and make-up for a movie that paid pennies and an absolutely psychotic landlord that wanted his money two weeks before it was due every month.

I don't know how I did it, starting with the few mobile clients I had.

I was open odd hours, and did very little advertising. I had a wooden sign that I constructed myself in front of my shop. I would write little messages on it, specials and what not.

I ate pretty much nothing but noodles and worked on getting referrals from the clients I had.

Offered free services to the local business owners in exchange for referrals.

The key is to stay focused, and go out and meet people and talk about your business. Be there during the times posted on your door and offer superior service. Keep your place clean, and occasionally, move furniture around to keep things interesting.

Time is what you need. It takes a year, maybe two to really get rolling.
Chin up and stay positive, you can do it

i had a great month in sept... but ive been quiet for two weeks :cry: ive only done two sets of extensions and 2 colours ...

it is hard to not get down.. fingers crossed it picks up again

:hug:

Same here,September busy,and only one extra booking this month,plus lost a couple of clients....roll on the Xmas parties.:lol:

I'm not quiet personally this October (nor am I normally); I'm pretty much fully booked all week & getting phonecalls every day, but I've been going a very long time.

However, the first couple of years can be very hard, and to survive you have to change your frame of mind. When you're quiet at work rather than worrying & wondering how others are doing you need to seek solutions & implement them. If you know October for you is quiet then you need to seek a way of drumming up business in that month; e-mail out newsletters at the beginning of October with special offers for that month, launch a new treatment to create interest etc.

Hard times can be the greatest source of inspiration & motivation, forcing you to focus on your core business.

Stay positive and use your down time to make plans for your biz.

There are always periods when you'll be quieter, so focus on your annual takings rather than your weekly or monthly takings.

Stay focused xxx

Latest posts

Back