Cracked Gel enhancement...Help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nik Nak

Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone help? I have had a phone call from a friend, her gel enhancement has split down the middle (free edge to eponychium), she thinks it has cracked all the way down including the nail plate as it was bleeding. It hurts to buff/touch and obviously acetone would really hurt, but by leaving it on wont she run the risk of an infection? Just wondering if anyone can recommend the best course of action for me to take?

Thanks

Hi, what I would do is clean the area well...I would use scrubfresh (it will sting like mad but its so worth it) then gently open the crack a little...apply adhesive (I use gelbond) and press the crack back together....this will instantly relieve any pain and secure/protect it while it grows out...you can continue to infill as and when.

great advice angie i would do the same.x
or if a client couldnt bare me to touch it then i would sugget they keep a plaster on it for extra support until the pain goes an you are able to treat the nail again.x

Hi, what I would do is clean the area well...I would use scrubfresh (it will sting like mad but its so worth it) then gently open the crack a little...apply adhesive (I use gelbond) and press the crack back together....this will instantly relieve any pain and secure/protect it while it grows out...you can continue to infill as and when.

If the nail plate is cracked and bleeding then putting adhesive on it could risk infection!

If the nail plate is cracked and bleeding then putting adhesive on it could risk infection!

But if you are not doing it would be a bigger risk of infection. :)

As said clean area well, use adhesive and have he client observe the nail, and continue infilling a usual, if you don't feel confident enough to keep infilling then have her come back in a few days and remove the enhancement and depending on the damage you could overlay again. If there's a colour change or likewise, have her contact you immediately.

You clean the nail and the crack first...this deals with any kind of infection....then you apply the adheisive..The one i use is gelbond...a hospital grade adheisive....this will seal and close the crack...how is this going to cause a infection....???? do you know that in some cases wounds are sealed in this way in hospitals...and not stitched....!!!...the risk of infection is only a problem if the wound isn't cleaned first and kept cleaned.

dont just take my word for it....http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/9170-urgent-client-has-cracked-acrylic-natural-nail.html

Last edited:
how could that happen to a nail? i have never heard of that before

Thanks so much for all your replies, hopefully I will be able to help her without too much pain :hug:

You clean the nail and the crack first...this deals with any kind of infection....then you apply the adheisive..The one i use is gelbond...a hospital grade adheisive....this will seal and close the crack...how is this going to cause a infection....???? do you know that in some cases wounds are sealed in this way in hospitals...and not stitched....!!!...the risk of infection is only a problem if the wound isn't cleaned first and kept cleaned.

dont just take my word for it....http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/9170-urgent-client-has-cracked-acrylic-natural-nail.html

did not realise it was a medical bond u were using. sounds like a gread idea though and will look into getting some to try out. thank u! x

how could that happen to a nail? i have never heard of that before

Squashing in a car door did it to a friend once

Latest posts

Back