Crazy pricing - what's worst you've seen?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seen today someone admitting they aren't qualified doing acrylics for £4!!!
Another lady (qualified) sp lashes for £7!!!!!!

At least they was honest about not being qualified :/

Some of the prices we see are ridiculous, but if we walked into house of Fraser and see a pair of shoes for £2 would we not purchase them because they was too cheap?
Hell no! We would take advantage of the price, maybe even by two pairs!
I think it is down to their businesses not being their only source of income I.e many still live at home, or have a partner paying living expenses so their money is seen as 'luxury money' xx

Spray tan..£5

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

somewhat random but a salon i used to rent a chair from stated they wanted me to drop my prices from £25 for gels/acrylics (which around here is the average) to £15.00 for a full set including any nail art and offer other treatments at silly prices like threading at £2.50, i said no and i left and wished them the best. I then got threats from them and all their 'friends' they bribed to come in as clients for about 3 months after. I carried on with my own business and generally am busy if not fully booked day to day at my usual price. Every now and then i hear from people that they are now offering nails at £12.50 and full body massage with nails for £25.00! glad i got out of there! I'm not a nasty person but after the harassment i got from them i secretly cant wait until they go under.

Just seen manicure and pedicure for two people for 20 quid so thats a fiver each service!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Someone on my local Facebook page is advertising gel extensions at £10 and shellac at £5!!

I know there has been a few threads on this topic but i've just GOT to share this. Ive just seen a full set of nails, individual eyelash extensions, 30 mins back massage and waxing (it doesn't specify what is to be waxed) 'all for an amazing £10.00!' that's not each, that's for everything.

SERIOUSLY!?!?

Last edited by a moderator:
That has to be a typo or a student desperate for models, surely??

Bizarrely low prices are concerning to many, pros and clients alike, but that is too low to make any sense whatsoever. For 4 treatments I can't imagine that would even cover costs! That can't be right?

Yeah it's totally right, I double checked. Even got a friend to have a look and she called up and asked about if that's a typo. They said not at all they're just offering some amazing deals this month as they're a fairly new salon (been in the area more than 6 months though -they didn't say that, I just know that) how can they make ANYTHING from that?!

That is just nuts! They can't be making anything and those treatments must take at least 2.5 hours to complete I'd have thought. Urgh, can you imagine the type of clientèle that will attract? They must be absolutely desperate!

There was one girl on FB on an online carboot offering "Shellac" for £12 and Fake Bake for £7.... the next day it was £7 for Shellac and get a free pedicure!!! There was a pic of horrendous L&P nails and someone had commented how nice they were!! What is wrong with people???? I clicked on her link to her website and she actually does Geleration (Just like Shellac!!!) :green:

I wonder how many of those poor unfortunate people are geeks on here struggling to get by?

All this Price "warring" & doing services for ridiculous CHEAP prices is getting terrible now!! Makes my blood boil 😡😡!
Especially when it's affecting professional BeautyTherapists/Nail Techs, some clientele have forgotten what the proper average price should be nowadays, due to Very low pricing, they just think when your not undercutting yourself, you are expensive when really you're not!

I've seen a girl in my local town advertising on Facebook for gel extensions priced at £7!
Thankfully lots of people questioned was she qualified etc and it was found that she wasn't and was using images off Google to promote "nails i have done" :eek: (scandalous!)

On the other hand, i know of someone who is UNQUALIFIED and charging crazy high prices for gels. (£35+) She said that she couldn't afford to pay for training, so she was going to "just do it" and then if it was successful she would train after.... :irked:

I find it really hard to keep a cool over these sorts of things, i am newly qualified and i feel my prices are actually a little on the low side but i've actually had people telling me that they "can get them done by someone with a lot of experience for less than that"

But yea, i have seen some crazy, crazy pricing in the short time i have been doing nails!

When I did my business plan I freaked out at the low prices locally but after having a good look at the varying quality of service I'm confident that I ask for what my nails are worth and my clients seem to agree :)

A local Facebook competitor listed her speciality as 'Minks' which made me chuckle :) Only for a fiver I might add! Bargain!

I know there has been a few threads on this topic but i've just GOT to share this. Ive just seen a full set of nails, individual eyelash extensions, 30 mins back massage and waxing (it doesn't specify what is to be waxed) 'all for an amazing £10.00!' that's not each, that's for everything.

SERIOUSLY!?!?

thats mental!!!!!

it screams of no business or common sense

In Liverpool everyone is fighting for custom and some have been known to imitate salons/mobile therapists by copying the username on Facebook and adding all the other persons clients and trying to take business that way!

Price wars are common, everyone undercutting others. One of my new clients who came to me after someone messed her brows up and she was in need of getting the done on a Sunday ( she was in Uni the next day ) txt me for an appointment, gave her a date and time, then she said she was going someone where else as they offered HD Brows for £10 ( mine are £25 unless your a student with a valid NUS card then you'd pay £20 ) she did come to me though and cancelled her appointment with the other girl because she likes the way I do them but this is what I have to put up with daily! - People also lie and pretend to use certain products in treatments but dont. And charge crazy prices for nails £5, spray tans £5, facials £5 and so on :(

In Liverpool everyone is fighting for custom and some have been known to imitate salons/mobile therapists by copying the username on Facebook and adding all the other persons clients and trying to take business that way!

Price wars are common, everyone undercutting others. One of my new clients who came to me after someone messed her brows up and she was in need of getting the done on a Sunday ( she was in Uni the next day ) txt me for an appointment, gave her a date and time, then she said she was going someone where else as they offered HD Brows for £10 ( mine are £25 unless your a student with a valid NUS card then you'd pay £20 ) she did come to me though and cancelled her appointment with the other girl because she likes the way I do them but this is what I have to put up with daily! - People also lie and pretend to use certain products in treatments but dont. And charge crazy prices for nails £5, spray tans £5, facials £5 and so on :(

god thats awful - stick to your prices and focus on getting a good name to stand out

It is having a knock on effect to me. I charge £30 for a set of sculpted gels but there us a girl near me offering gel nails for £15!! Eventually the clients are coming to me but with ruined nails. A salon near me is offering nail extensions, eyelash extensions & HD Brows for £30!!!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

If you charge £ shop prices you'll get £ shop clients. I a fed up with people undervaluing our profession. And it is a profession not a hobby :Love:

A girl at collage the other said she had advertised acrylic/gel nails for 15 pounds on her facebook as she is in training.

she said that she got a reply under her add from a facebook friend/ mobile therapist saying

"ill do them for 10 pounds and im actually qualified girls'

that really happened lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back