crystal nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cath4512

Reaction score
I have just received my swarovski crystals & cant wait to get started with crystal nails.

This might sound like a stupid question, but what do you use to pick them up & place them?? I was thinking an orangewood stick??

I am going to try them over minx, using SOG to secure them, do I need one or two layers of gel??

Thanks

It sounds silly, but I actually have this special crystal picker-upper. I think that's actually it's name LOL it's the BEST. I don't know how it works, but it's fab.

picker upper lol. Where did you get it?

Wow didn't know these existed just searched eBay they are called jewel setter I've got to get one!

Well I'm in Canada, but I'm sure you could get them at any craft store. It's a long purple stick with two clear jelly-like ends. Don't know how it works, but it does.

I purchased a couple of those picker upper thingys from a glitter and craft site but can't remember the site name.

However, it sits in my little pot on my table and I actually use a cocktail stick with a blob of blu-tac on the end and its perfect.

Life is so much easier with this little tool when doing a crystal pedi.

Jacqui xx

Ahh blu tack, sounds like a good option. I will try this & also will try to get a picker upper to try.

Am I right in thinking you can use a SOG?

I was plannning

Dry pedi
SO builder gel ( thin layer )
cure
SO gel
place crystals
cure
wipe off tacky layer

Is this right

Ahh blu tack, sounds like a good option. I will try this & also will try to get a picker upper to try.

Am I right in thinking you can use a SOG?

I was plannning

Dry pedi
SO builder gel ( thin layer )
cure
SO gel
place crystals
cure
wipe off tacky layer

Is this right

Yes, sometimes I seal the crystals with a top layer of gel and they stay put but the last 2 sets I have left the crystals uncovered so I can get the full effect of my dazzling Swarovski crystals. But I lost about 20 crystals which I replaced with a dab of glue.

There is another geek who's name I cannot remember but I think she's from Yorkshire (So sorry lovely geek) who uses resin and an activator.

This is a massive subject so when you have some time do a search and have a read through for different opinions.

Jacqui xx

It's cazjp69 pm her she gave me great advice re: crystals and resin, or contact baggybear for advice also using gel both were very helpful thanx ladies! :D

I purchased aHowever, it sits in my little pot on my table and I actually use a cocktail stick with a blob of blu-tac on the end and its perfect.

Life is so much easier with this little tool when doing a crystal pedi.

Jacqui xx

Yes I'm a 'blu-tac on the end of a cocktail stick' user too! but a friend of mine gets a cocktail stick and just wets it slightly in water and this works too. I did try this once as I couldn't find any blu-tac and it does work :)

Ive seen those picker upper thingys, the name makes me smile!

Thanks for all the help girls. I will contact the 2 members & will also try the blu tac method.

Cathxx

However, it sits in my little pot on my table and I actually use a cocktail stick with a blob of blu-tac on the end and its perfect.

This is what we used at college, and what I've used to do crystal nails on myself - I think a proper tool looks much more professional though (and probably gives better results)

This is what we used at college, and what I've used to do crystal nails on myself - I think a proper tool looks much more professional though (and probably gives better results)

Perhaps.

But I prefer my cocktail stick :)

Jacqui xx

Here's what I use and yes, it's actually called a Rhinestone Pickerr Uperr. LOL

gr8nailz-albums-french+brushes-picture40584-image.jpg

Where did you buy the crystals from? x

I buy mine from Scatter Crystals and use ss5 and ss7

Jacqui xx

I also got mine from scatter crystals & got ss5 & ss7.

Cath

OP, I have replied to your PM with my full step by step instructions for a crystal pedicure, where I buy my Swarovski crystals & what size but in the PM you didn't mention wanting to know what I use to pick up the crystals so I'll post that info here.

I have a jewel setter:
Jewel Setter - Pack of 2 | eBay

But the end is so huge that I found I couldn't see the crystal to get it off & onto the nail lol. I have used an orangwood stick with a small amount of the stuff from the end of the jewel setter in the past for finger art and that worked well.

When doing crystal pedicures I tend to use a damp orangewood stick or the back of my rubber hoof stick (from my Minx kit as it's at hand) with a teeny bit of the SOG on it.

Nail Hoof Stick / Cutical Pusher - Ideal for Minx | eBay

Sorry to be cheeky but i would really appreciate it baggybear if you could also email me instructions (if its not too much trouble) as been wanting to add this to my treatment list but still a little unsure of how to do it.

My email is [email protected]

Many thanx in advance
Emma
xx

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

OP, I have replied to your PM with my full step by step instructions for a crystal pedicure, where I buy my Swarovski crystals & what size but in the PM you didn't mention wanting to know what I use to pick up the crystals so I'll post that info here.

I have a jewel setter:
Jewel Setter - Pack of 2 | eBay

But the end is so huge that I found I couldn't see the crystal to get it off & onto the nail lol. I have used an orangwood stick with a small amount of the stuff from the end of the jewel setter in the past for finger art and that worked well.

When doing crystal pedicures I tend to use a damp orangewood stick or the back of my rubber hoof stick (from my Minx kit as it's at hand) with a teeny bit of the SOG on it.

Nail Hoof Stick / Cutical Pusher - Ideal for Minx | eBay

Thanks baggybear. I will try with my minx hoof stick tomorrow. I cant wait to give it a try.
Thanks for the PM too.

Cath x

Latest posts

Back