Custom Blending it up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Geek

Grand Master Geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
The hottest application technique since the Forever French nail enhancement was introduced is causing a dramatic shockwave among consumers and nail professionals alike. The Custom Blended Manicure brings an entirely new level of nail artistry to our profession and is set to have as strong an impact on our industry as permanent colour had to the hair world.

The Custom Blended Manicure (CBM) is a technique of blending different Creative Nail Design coloured powders to create a completely new custom colour to compliment the client’s skin tone and camouflage imperfections. In my last tutorial, I went through some key principals of colour theory (read here) so in this tutorial I am going to specifically be discussing the CBM as it relates to transforming the look and the length of the nail plate in Zone 2 and Zone 3.

Why bother? Why not just stick to the Perfect Color Pink or Intense Pink? While I love both Perfect Color Pink and Intense Pink for their workability, vibrancy and clarity, there is one big thing that a CBM will do that the other powders won’t: Give you complete design freedom! What is exciting nail professionals the most about the CBM is the ability to create an opaque powder that completely covers the free edge of the natural nail. For the nail professional, that means the ability to hide imperfections in the nail and the ability to place the smile line where it looks best (at the pad of the finger) without that manky free edge showing through. What’s even better is that when your clients return for a Rebalance you still wont see the free edge! That’s right brothers and sisters, the longer you go between French Rebalances, the longer and more elegant the nail becomes! Be gone those grotesque French jobs where the smile line starts half way down the nail like some freaky cannibalized bridal set just so the nail tech doesn’t have to go through the ‘extra work’ of conducting a French Rebalance next appointment. Hallelujah, the world already seems a much sweeter place.

Let me preface this next part by mentioning that this is not the only way to skin this cat. In fact, there are thousands of ways to mix, match and blend to perfection – this however is a great way to get into the groove of Custom Blended Manicures quickly and easily with proven, consistent results. While you will most likely want to start experimenting with small batches, be forewarned that small batches are far trickier to peg than a large batch. The tones of a small batch can quickly be over done with a few extra grains of powder while a large mix will blend more smoothly and more easily.

Meet the Colours

In my last tutorial, I blabbed on about the basic fundamentals of colour theory. Now that you have had a good month to digest that little beauty, I thought it was time to meet some of the cast of colours that you will be working with during your adventures blending. These are by no means all the colours you have to use, nor are they even close to an exhaustive list of all options. This list is merely a brief synopsis of those powders from the Perfect Color, Metro and Mosaic ranges that are commonly used for a Custom Blended Manicure.

· Golden Glass (yellow)
Used to neutralize underlying violet in your mix. Very handy to cut the amount of violet you get from your monomer.
· Terra Cotta (orange)
Used to warm your blend up and neutralize and blue undertones.
· Quartz Crystal (purple)
Used to cool your blend down and neutralize any yellow undertones.
· Spanish Tile (red)
Used to pump up your red (pink) content. If you have somehow managed to make your blend green, Spanish tile will neutralize it and bring it back (somewhat) to normality.
· Flawless Pink (opaque pink)
Flawless Pink is the single most important powder when creating a CBM for Zones 2 and 3. In other words, you’ll use a lot of it!
· Perfect Color White (CND’s famously perfect white!)
Lightens up your mix while making it more opaque. Be careful as the more white you put in, the more violet from your monomer comes through (increasing the need for Golden Glass).
· Melting Pot (a rich, copper brown)
Darkens your mix and adds a hint of holographic glitter to increase vibrancy without giving the nail a sparkly effect.
· Twilight (glitter in a natural base)
softens up the blend and makes the mix look shinier. I generally avoid using twilight unless I want a sparkly nail affect.
· Cobalt Glass (blue)
Cuts any orange undertone.
· Jade (green)
Cuts excessive Red in the mix.

Note that some strongly pigmented colours like Cobalt Glass, Jade and even Spanish Tile to a degree may ‘speckle’ if too much is used. For that reason I generally avoid Jade or Cobalt Glass when creating a mix for Zone 2 and Zone 3.

Another point worth mentioning is that while Perfect Color Pink and Intense Pink are great for blending the colour to the natural nail tone, you do so at the loss of some opacity. When I want to create a blend to completely hide the natural nail free edge, I generally avoid any translucent powders.

The Base Mix:

Now let’s create a large ‘base mix’ from which we will produce 3 more specific mixes (a warm red-orange, a red and a cool red-violet). The Base Mix is designed to be a ‘neutral’ base that requires little modification to get it to where you want it to be. I have done the rough measurements in that handy dandy metric system you all so love to make it easier to reduce the recipe as needed (Note that a teaspoon is about 5 millilitres).

stepone.jpg

The core base colours

· 1 Millilitre Spanish Tile
· 4 Millilitre Melting Pot
· 100 Millilitre Perfect Color White
· 400 Millilitre Flawless Pink

Note that often I will add a 1 millilitre of Golden Glass to cut the Violet undertone from Retention+

steptwo-basemix.jpg
The Base Mix

To make specific mixes from your base mix, simply add Quartz Crystal, Spanish Tile or Terra Cotta accordingly.

allpowders-angled.jpg

· For a cool Red-Violet Mix:
Add 2 Millilitres of Quartz Crystal
· For an all around Pink mix:
Add 2 Millilitres more of Spanish Tile
· For a warm Red-Orange mix:
Add 2 Millilitres of Terra Cotta

Tinting and shading

One important element of Custom Blended Manicures is with getting the tint and shade (lightness or darkness) of the colour correct. Though the Base Mix is a great starting point, often you may have to adjust the tint or shade to correspond with the clients own skin tone. When a mix is too light, simply deepen it with more Melting Pot. When the mix is too dark, lighten it back up with your 4:1 ratio of Flawless Pink and Perfect Color White.

Testing

The easiest way to test your blend is by using a Brisa Clear Performance form. The centre of each form provides a perfect surface to drop a bead onto and hold it up against the nail. It also serves as an excellent ‘swatch’ for testing existing batches of blends for new clients.
When trying to compliment the natural nail tone, place the clear form with your bead onto the nail and see if it matches. If it’s too light, darken it. If it’s too dark, lighten it. If it’s not the right colour, freaking change it!

Application

One key to remember when applying opaque colours is to avoid putting 2 beads of the same opaque colour side by side. Doing so will increase the risk of marbling.

To avoid marbling avoid placing Zone 2 and Zone 3 side by side. Instead layer your beads on top of one another. Do this by creating a long, gentle taper from Zone 2 to Zone 3. That way when Zone 3 is applied, it blends over Zone 2 leaving little to no chance of marbling. Think of it as overlapping each zone as you would overlap roof tiles.

Only the beginning

Clearly the Custom Blended Manicure is by far the most significant application technique to come along since fingernails were invented. This guide merely brushes on the surface of the options available to you. The Custom Blended Manicure is the key skill empowering nail professionals to distinguish themselves from the cheap looking ‘fake nails’ that their competitors do while enabling them to charge more for their work. Not only does it make sense, make you more money, it’s a freaking blast.

Originally published January 2006 Scratch Magazine

Last edited:
In a word................Fantastic!!

Take care xx

I've just printed this off and I'm going to sit with a nice cup of coffee and study every word. Thanks.

totally cool...and i understand it too...(which is rare for me)...i guess there is some trial and error to this but can be easily rectified too, by just adding some of another to put it right..now its all listed what colours to use for what its even easier...just makes you wanna go play. xxx

definately gonna experiment with this one, it sounds great. Can't wait to book onto the CBM class

Absolutely fantastic Sam
thank you

we are not worthy lol
x

Wow! I have just orderd my custom blend kit and i cant wait to start mixing. Hopefull it will fall into place for me. Thanks for this Sam,x

WOW, just when you think you've got it all figured out....... you hit us with another fantastic idea, to keep the clients thinking us nail tech's are the best thing since sliced bread.........well we are, aren't we!!

love the tutorial, inspiring as always GMG

Beck

This is waaay cooler than i exepected! I can see the bennefits already! I used to mix white in my coverage pink gel beacuse it had a "fake" tone, but usingg white made it a bit polish like still not very belivable. With this explanation i can now see that using a bit of colour gels in the same tones described i can make a custom gel too. How great is that! I have to try it out. I hope it works out ok.

This is SO HELPFUL!!!

Sam Sweet you are a genius!

BTW- This may help you guys, it helped me-

At the last show I went to, CND's Shelena Robinson showed me to use a marble mortar and pestle when mixing the bigger pigmented powders like spanish tile and terracotta- I used one blending a VERY serious pink, and the red ground down very nicely!!!

Just something to help along like it helped me ;) I got mine at a cookware store for $11 US Dollars, very sturdy, if Im nice to it it should last me a while.

My clients get very excited to see me grinding up their powder JUST for THEM! :)

Yea, grinding does work really well and makes you feel even more artsy farty :)

Glad you enjoyed!

LOL!

We should make arsty fartsy a technical term.

Then they can teach it in classes.

LOL! :p

When blending the base mix you need 80 5ml teaspoons of flawless pink...if I were to make a base mix using, say, half the amounts shown, would a small pot of flawless be sufficient...I can't visualise how much 80 or 40 teaspoons is so thought I'd see in anyone else has done it before I get the sugar bowl out to experiment.

Just been thinking about this again and I'm thinking more like 10 teaspoons 50ml of flawless but then how do you measure as accurately as possible the other tiny amounts?

The measurements are only there so you can easily establish the ratio between the colours.
In other words, you can express the forumla this way:
4 scoops Flawless
1 scoop Perfect Color White
1/25 scoop Melting Pot
1/100 scoop Spanish Tile

(or round abouts ;) )

HTH's

That's easier for me to get my head round.....maths never was my forte. Cheers.

Bought the kit yesterday and can't wait to try it!!

Cathie! said:
When blending the base mix you need 80 5ml teaspoons of flawless pink...if I were to make a base mix using, say, half the amounts shown, would a small pot of flawless be sufficient...I can't visualise how much 80 or 40 teaspoons is so thought I'd see in anyone else has done it before I get the sugar bowl out to experiment.

Just been thinking about this again and I'm thinking more like 10 teaspoons 50ml of flawless but then how do you measure as accurately as possible the other tiny amounts?
i had trouble with this too so i practiced with sugar. have now made a base blend using 1/4 big amounts (took ages to figure out doses) have just been having a play and it is amazing

Thanks so much! I have been searching all over the internet for how to mix flawless pink to compliment any skin tone. I cannot wait to try it out. :)

I am going to look into this

thanks for this sam, i have held off from trying c.b for ages a i could never get the hang of it , but i had a nash today and it went better :green: not sooper dooper perfect but a lot better than my 1st attempts , :green: x

Latest posts

Back