Customer claiming her nails are damaged

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovelashes

Reaction score
I did a shellac service on a new client last nite which didn't go too well! I prepped as normal, cuticleaway, removed with water spray, buffed to remove shine, scrubfreshed.

I didn't put enough top coat on so when I removed sticky layer I removed some of the shellac. Tried to fix and ended up with 2 nails looking lot darker than the rest so arranged for client to return to fix.

Client just text me to say she removed the shellac herself and her nails are damaged.

Now how she removed it I do not know but basically I'm looking for reassurance that nothing I did damaged her nails?

I've just started in a salon and feel awful that this client thinks her nails have been damaged by the service.

Hun don't worry.... She would of damaged her nails removing them herself. Keep the text or email however she told you that she took them off herself.

By some of the shellac coming off with the sticky layer would not cause any damage. X

Did you give this client any after care advice/ sheet x

With shellac there is no buffing at all so I would definitely look at prep however it's more likely that her improper removal has caused the damage. You offered to put things right and she did her own thing anyway. Have a look through the threads here on shellac application and consider the course but don't stress about this client. If you apply correctly, use the right products and lamp and give the aftercare and removal info you can do no more. X

Why did you buff to remove the shine?

Firstly you don't buff the nail in Shellac application, no removing shine necessary.
If she picked off Shellac then she will have caused the damage herself.
I would inform her that she should have returned to you for assessment and removal if necessary.
You had arranged to fix but she chose to remove.

The only thing (going by what you said in your post anyway) that you have done wrong is, buffing the shine off the natural nail because this is apparently not required for a Shellac service......
but in saying that, I would not think that buffing the shine off this once would cause damage.
Now, damage to us and damage in a clients eyes are 2 different things sometimes, so ask her to come in so you can look at them but do NOT make any promises that you will fix/re-do her nails for anything less than the full price.
You offered to fix the color problem and SHE chose to go ahead and remove, so it's on HER neck, not yours.
You should be able to see any real damage that has been caused by her picking it off but make sure you ask her how she removed it and take it from there.
Good luck, clients like this can test us sometimes:)

Last edited:
I did a shellac service on a new client last nite which didn't go too well! I prepped as normal, cuticleaway, removed with water spray, buffed to remove shine, scrubfreshed.

I didn't put enough top coat on so when I removed sticky layer I removed some of the shellac. Tried to fix and ended up with 2 nails looking lot darker than the rest so arranged for client to return to fix.

Client just text me to say she removed the shellac herself and her nails are damaged.

Now how she removed it I do not know but basically I'm looking for reassurance that nothing I did damaged her nails?

I've just started in a salon and feel awful that this client thinks her nails have been damaged by the service.

It sounds to me like you need to go on a course! i don't think you have done so because if you have you would know Shellac requires NO buffing of the nail surface. i suggest a course to help you :)

In the mean time, when top coating i find it easy to just shine the nail in the light and move it side to side (hope that makes sense) this way you can see where you have missed with the top coat.

Have you given her any sort of aftercare advice? please atleast tell me you suggested Solaroil everyday?

the fact that she removed her Shellac, THIS has damaged her nails not you. except for buffing you have done nothing wrong.

I did a shellac service on a new client last nite which didn't go too well! I prepped as normal, cuticleaway, removed with water spray, buffed to remove shine.

Buffing is not part of the Shellac service and is not part of CND protocols. Buffing the shine off the natural nail is unnecessary and damaging. The client has helped make the damage worse by removing her Shellac and having done so, she has invalidated any claim against you.

You should take a Shellac Class as you are clearly confused about how to go about applying the product according to CND instructions.

Here is a message from my friend Doug Schoon ....

Are you removing which ever UV colour coat you are using, correctly?

picture.php

From Doug Schoon ...

One of my Facebook friends asked about the cause of the white spots shown in this picture. These types of white spots are found on the surface of the nail plate and are most often caused by improper removal of UV gel nail coatings, especially UV manicures since they are removed more often.

Improper removal takes many forms. For example, when clients pick coatings from the nails... that's improper removal.
When nail coatings are scraped from the nail forcibly... that's improper removal.
When products are pried off with the implement... that's improper removal.
Actually, any time product/coating removal damages the natural nail... that's improper removal!

When coatings are forced from the nail plate this pulls the top layer of the nail surface [away] to create these white spots.

Clients don't pay nail technicians to rush or save time during the removal process, they pay the nail technician to carefully remove the product without damaging the nail plate. I will talk about this in greater detail and show some other examples in my upcoming free webinar on Oct. 15th.

https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/114534506
"UV gel nails: Latest Findings & Best Practices"

Thanks very much to everyone. I use a few systems and have trained in shellac but it would appear I need to dig out my notes and refresh my knowledge.

Thanks again x

i couldnt help noticing that under your profile you only have lashes, you havent put in that you do nails yet, if you already trained in nails you should maybe put that in, if on the other hand you havent yet, might it be that the polish is part of the problem, because as far as i know you can only get shellac if your trained. If you are all set up already in a shop it would be worth your while to do it all right, especially if youve went to so much trouble already getting all set up

Like i said Tegan I have trained in shellac but realise I need to get my notes out as I'm getting confused between different systems.

I will update my profile

Thanks very much to everyone. I use a few systems and have trained in shellac but it would appear I need to dig out my notes and refresh my knowledge.

Thanks again x

NO BUFFING is one of the most important defining features that differentiates Shellac from the gels!! It is made abundantly clear on every Shellac class, that there is no buffing of the natural nails prior to application.
Other defining features or unique selling points are that Shellac is hypoallergenic .. That only the CND uv lamp will cure the Shellac and that Shellac removal time is the quickest of all. A few things to recall.

No buffing. Won't make that mistake again. Thanks

Sorry if that sounded bad, i wasn't having a go, all i meant was that if you hadn't it would be worthwhile doing so as you would be able to get all the right materials etc, i wasn't sure if you had or hadn't, you posted at same time as me

I don't mean to beat up on you, others have pointed out one major flaw (no buffing) in your application. And it sounds like there were others as well. It sounds like you don't know your product as well as you ought to and that came across in this appointment.

What I want to point out is that you clearly did not present yourself as a confident and competent nail professional to your client. She then disregarded your arrangement for her to come and let you fix it and chose to do it herself. It is unlikely that you caused any damage and more likely that she did it to herself, but she did it because she had lost faith in you.

Knowing your product and having confidence in your skills is a critical part of being a professional, any kind of professional. It is a comfort to your clients and it certainly makes times like this easier to bear when you are confident that you know your stuff and did a good job. If you had that confidence, you wouldn't need to come here for reassurance.

Latest posts

Back