Customer's details

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pita

Reaction score
Nearly 20 years in the business and a customer has made me stop, think and come here to ask you all.

She asked why I had to have her address?

In the past I may have flippantly replied "so that if you die mid treatment, I can send on the outstanding bill for your estate to settle" but I have learnt that surviving in the industry this long calls for restraint.

So. why do I need her address? We no longer send promotions via mail (and only did if they opted in anyway). I haven't asked my insurance company yet, but I can't see why it would matter; after all, the customer could just lie.

She didn't want to give her phone number either. This we do use to give reminder calls/texts to at least try to minimise no shows.

So, what are your thoughts on these 'off grid' customers?

BTW, she didn't show up for her appointment so my feeling about her was right.

Like you say, if they don't want to give details they're trying to get out of something generally.

I think you'd need her address if she did a runner on the bill so you could initiate court proceedings. Could need it for insurance purposes too as well as surely it comes under the general client consultation stuff they would probably expect you to collect.

That's funny, I was thinking exactly the same when I was emailing out my October offer this morning. I send everything by email these days. Years ago I would post out new brochures but technology has changed things a lot!
I have a few clients who genuinely don't have email or Facebook or Internet so just phone number and address for these.

As banner penguin says, we still need their addresses in case of non- payment and for insurance purposes.

Also it's helpful to know where clients live to help with marketing and judging which leaflet drops were effective.

Hate to always be the pedantic one ;) There's lots of laws surrounding data protection.

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/business/

The data protection toolkit is handy.

On topic- Perhaps the client is just protective of her data/private information? I'm not terribly keen about giving our phone numbers or addresses to people either. Email, however, is perfectly fine.

Or perhaps she's a dodgy bugger ;)

p.s. Don't think being a sole trader or a small business doesn't mean you don't have to do things "correctly". There's LOTS of smaller business getting in trouble for it.

Well, for starters, if you have a customer appreciation feature, she's opting out of it ;) It's also hard to give loyalty points as well.

I don't ask for address any more as I myself find it intrusive when asked & don't want to be mailed by Salons etc. I have no need for it and just ask for phone number/ email. Lots of clients book online so I also get email address that way.

If for any reason you may need to contact them in writing or get a solicitor involved you would need their address so always best to get their address.

For insurance purposes I would think. So if she was to sue you or make a claim you have all of her details logged for the insurance company ☺

Latest posts

Back