Cut client? What do you do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruby-nails

Reaction score
I really have to get this off my chest because it really worried me. I recently thought I would go and have my acrylics removed at a local salon to see how they did things, customer service and all that, and I was horrified when not only was I cut twice with the drill to the point where I bled onto the tissue, but the person doing my nails didn't sterilise the tools and went on to do the next lady's nails.
I am very thorough when it comes to things like this and if I cut someone, the file goes in the bin! I sterilise everything before and after every client, my files get a spray and my surfaces get a wipe with disinfectant also.

Anyway, I was discussing this with one of my friends who is a dental surgeon because I was panicking about the whole HepB etc issue, and she said the chances of catching it are small so I shouldn't be worried, but I can go to the doctor and say that I am in the healthcare profession and would like to be immunised against HepB, so I wondered if anyone has done this, and am I over-reacting?:irked:

Hi!

I have had the hep B jabs because I heard through the grapevine that one of the clients due to come in to me had it and I was very worried about getting it too. The nurse explained to me that the chances were very slim of me getting it too but I wanted to protect myself all the same! Each jab costs £25 and you need three. After a year they send you for a blood test to make sure you have the right antibodies in your blood to fight it. Hope that helps! By the way, that is disgusting about the nail salon ~ surely it's common sense to sterilize absolutely everything between clients!?! xx

Hi!

I have had the hep B jabs because I heard through the grapevine that one of the clients due to come in to me had it and I was very worried about getting it too. The nurse explained to me that the chances were very slim of me getting it too but I wanted to protect myself all the same! Each jab costs £25 and you need three. After a year they send you for a blood test to make sure you have the right antibodies in your blood to fight it. Hope that helps! By the way, that is disgusting about the nail salon ~ surely it's common sense to sterilize absolutely everything between clients!?! xx

If I understand correctly you paid £75 out for jabs based on a rumour about a client that hasnt yet been to see you? If I was that worried about a client I would have found a way of talking to her about it or lastly fidn a way of not doing the treatment. You could have considered wearing gloves if she answered no to all the health questions.

I am sorry if this sounds a bit harsh but we all know that rumours arent always true. I would at least have met the client first to see how you feel about her then. Apologies if I have mis understood what you are saying.

I understand that you were worried about this and do feel for you if smething like this is troubling you but I think you could have looked at the other options first with this client. I know some that have had the jab for general protection as recommended by colleges.

Ruby - have you taken any medical advice on the likely hood of this being an issue? I would at least consider reporting them to the local authorities for poor hygiene standards.

I have been immunised against Hep B. We do come in contact with blood, for instance blood spotting during waxing, and the possibility of stick injuries with electrolysis. I was advised at college to get immunised. "As far as I know" the problem with Hep is that it can thrive outside the human body, for instance, on a hard surface, whereas HIV doesn't. So in some ways Hep is more serious than HIV. It's not something I would trivialise. But it's also one of those things where everyone's opinion will differ, including medical professionals.

With regard to the cost, I did not have to pay £75. I asked the surgery if I had to pay for it as it was something I needed for my job and they said I wouldn't have to pay. Then when I arrived for my appointment I was told I would have to pay because I don't work for the NHS. I told the receptionist I had been told before I didn't have to pay and she said she would have to check with the doctor, who was busy, so I said, phone me if I have to pay and I will come back and pay, but I never heard anything else about it. Incidentally I'm having my immunisation checked on Monday.

Better to be safe than sorry you should go for the jab, the horror stories I was told at coll before we were even allowed to touch the sterex machine scarred me for life!!! X

I really have to get this off my chest because it really worried me. I recently thought I would go and have my acrylics removed at a local salon to see how they did things, customer service and all that, and I was horrified when not only was I cut twice with the drill to the point where I bled onto the tissue, but the person doing my nails didn't sterilise the tools and went on to do the next lady's nails.
I am very thorough when it comes to things like this and if I cut someone, the file goes in the bin! I sterilise everything before and after every client, my files get a spray and my surfaces get a wipe with disinfectant also.

Anyway, I was discussing this with one of my friends who is a dental surgeon because I was panicking about the whole HepB etc issue, and she said the chances of catching it are small so I shouldn't be worried, but I can go to the doctor and say that I am in the healthcare profession and would like to be immunised against HepB, so I wondered if anyone has done this, and am I over-reacting?:irked:

Sounds like you visited your local NSS!? Why are they drilling your nails so much to cut you when you went in for a removal?:eek:

If I catch someone with a new file, as does happen sometimes, but not too often, I use a styptic pencil to stop the bleeding - I use a dampened cotton bud on the pencil & then apply it to the nick.
The file is then sterilised and given to the client or thrown away.

I have not been immunised btw.

If I understand correctly you paid £75 out for jabs based on a rumour about a client that hasnt yet been to see you? If I was that worried about a client I would have found a way of talking to her about it or lastly fidn a way of not doing the treatment. You could have considered wearing gloves if she answered no to all the health questions.

I am sorry if this sounds a bit harsh but we all know that rumours arent always true. I would at least have met the client first to see how you feel about her then. Apologies if I have mis understood what you are saying.

I understand that you were worried about this and do feel for you if smething like this is troubling you but I think you could have looked at the other options first with this client. I know some that have had the jab for general protection as recommended by colleges.
I decided to have the jabs because I wanted to protect myself against hep B because I feel that we could be exposed to it in our jobs without knowing. I have a consultation card which actually asks whether they have it or not but I was worried that she may not answer yes if she was desperate to have her waxing done! How could I just come out and say "I've heard you've got hep B" ? I felt that she would have been embarrassed by this.

I always wear gloves for waxing so I know it was a low risk that I could get hep B from clients but I wanted to put my mind at rest. Do you not worry about these things? Maybe I'm being a bit paranoid but I really feel that you can't be too careful! xx

I've just recently done an auricular acupuncture course, and was advised to get immunised because of stick injuries.

Hiya

Sloppy Standars drives me MAD:grr:, how do these NSS salons get away with year after year? AAARRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHH

I have to have Hep B jab, I do invasive beauty treatments.

Jenx
www.advancedbeautyclinic.com

I had the jabs about 10 years ago for a different job. It was with Deparment of Environment and it was paid for by Medicare as it was a requirment for the job. However, I was told that some people can have the Hep B injections but it doesn't have any effect. I had another set of injections after and still didn't work on me so it can turn out to be a waste of time and money.

Latest posts

Back