Cuticle help please...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tammy64

Reaction score
I'm feeling really deflated at the moment :cry:
I started my own little from home/mobile business after doing my training a few years ago and last night I had a friend come for a pedicure. I really wanted it to be perfect for her as she regularly visits a local salon so wanted to impress as she could be good for business:o
It was just an express, but I always like to do a bit of cuticle work to get a better polish finish. She had quite high up cuticles on her little toe. I pushed them back but they just ended up a mess...they came away from the nail and I was afraid to cut it in case it bled. As a result the finish wasnt great which frustrated me as I'm quite proud of my polishing.
Please could you help? First of all when you do expess do you push the cuticles? And what is the best way to sort them? When training we used a cuticle remover which was rubbish and cuticle knife (which just added to the problem last night) and nippers, but never actually got taught how to use the nippers.
Sorry...some of you experts must be shaking your head at my basic question here:sad:
Any help very gratefully received :hug:

Hi hun :)

feet can be a nightmare for cuticle can't they,
I know your trained but it might be worth you going back over your books as To refresh your memory,
or better yet have you thought of taking another class? This is what I did after collage I went to CND London and took a bunch of classes my gave being manicure and pedicure, the trainig was fab , and the aword winning products to die for!

cuticle is dead and you won't make it bleed, if you use something to loosen away from the nail and it's still attached it's ok to use sharp nippers carefully remove it but I find a curett will do the job most of the time :)
CND cuticle away is a AHA cuticle remover a dab of that and a good curett & chisle tool and you wil find it just goes and you won't need the nippers .

I'm feeling really deflated at the moment :cry:
I started my own little from home/mobile business after doing my training a few years ago and last night I had a friend come for a pedicure. I really wanted it to be perfect for her as she regularly visits a local salon so wanted to impress as she could be good for business:o
It was just an express, but I always like to do a bit of cuticle work to get a better polish finish. She had quite high up cuticles on her little toe. I pushed them back but they just ended up a mess...they came away from the nail and I was afraid to cut it in case it bled. As a result the finish wasnt great which frustrated me as I'm quite proud of my polishing.
Please could you help? First of all when you do expess do you push the cuticles? And what is the best way to sort them? When training we used a cuticle remover which was rubbish and cuticle knife (which just added to the problem last night) and nippers, but never actually got taught how to use the nippers.
Sorry...some of you experts must be shaking your head at my basic question here:sad:
Any help very gratefully received :hug:

Just to make sure also it is the cuticle you are nipping away & NOT the eponicium (the living tissue)

"Hyponicium is the skin under the nail and Eponicium is what you might know as the cuticle ( but this common term is used incorrectly all the time) Dead skin that grows on the nail plate is actually the cuticle and the live stuff that most techs cut off (THAT THEY SHOULDN'T) and push back way too hard is the Eponicium" HTH

Hi I wouldn't use the nippers if you haven't been trained to use them :eek:

Well, in our book (Lady's standard, Nail Technology, Revised, 5th Ed.) states not to even push back the eponychium on feet. Feet are messier than hands and as we know eponychium protects the nail root/matrix against infections so it is beneficial not to mess with the eponychium on feet at all. Anyways, in the USA, where I am now, at my school, they teach us something else (cut the sucker:)). In the Czech republic, where I am from and got the license there, too, the proper way - not cut it. That's what I do - no cutting either on hands or on feet. Just agnails/hangnails (dry dead skin). Linda

Well, in our book (Lady's standard, Nail Technology, Revised, 5th Ed.) states not to even push back the eponychium on feet. Feet are messier than hands and as we know eponychium protects the nail root/matrix against infections so it is beneficial not to mess with the eponychium on feet at all. Anyways, in the USA, where I am now, at my school, they teach us something else (cut the sucker:)). In the Czech republic, where I am from and got the license there, too, the proper way - not cut it. That's what I do - no cutting either on hands or on feet. Just agnails/hangnails (dry dead skin). Linda

This is right we shuldnt ever cut the eponychium or other living tissue , but when the cuticle (dead tissue) is still haning on it's ok to nip it.

Really though if you invest in a curett you won't need to nip.

Last edited:
I was taught to use cuticle remover with a knife and nippers in college too but I haven't used them since. I use CND Cuticle Away and a curette. Does a much better job.

I was taught to use cuticle remover with a knife and nippers in college too but I haven't used them since. I use CND Cuticle Away and a curette. Does a much better job.

I'm with TweezerHappy, cuticle away is a blessing :lol:

Annie x

Thank you so much for your help everyone :hug:
I really appreciate it. Will be ordering some cuticle away and nailzoo that video was amazing! Thank you! What was it you used to start with? :)
Guess its just one of those learning points but feel pants about it!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back