Cuticle removing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marian

Reaction score
When I remove the cuticle from the nail plate with my metal pushie I seem to get a lot of skin left attached to the eponychium. I find this hard to remove (dont use clippers as afraid of causing injury!) The result is that the epontchium looks baggy, (only description I can think of) with straggly bits poking out.

I am ashamed to admit I have caused bleeding to my clients around this area :smack:. Do you think I am pushing the eponychium too far back? And also that I am too heavy handed? I try to remove straggly bits when buffing the nail but find that some remain.

Any advice greatly appreciated. I hope I have used the correct terminology!

all you need to be doing is removing the dead skin from the nail plate...i never push anything back...

i use a cuticle remover and leave it work for a few mins...this lifts the skin and then using my pushee i gently scrape that skin away.

if you feel resistance then stop.

retail some cuticle remover/erasre....i would recommend creative's...and after home care you and your client should see a difference.

never cut/snip or try and file bits off....this can lead to infection and make them grow tougher.

you certainly shouldn't be drawing blood chick xx

Are you using cuticle remover.This would help.
I do push back if needs be but with a rubber pusher not my metal thingy.
I do nip off anything hanging with my cuticle nippers which are sharp so there is no pulling.
No need for any blood if you are careful and using the right tools.

To prepare the nail or when performing a manicure, I apply cuticle remover, leave to work for a minute or so, then I push the cuticles back slightly, but I mean VERY slightly, and gently, with a rubber pusher, and as soon as the cuticle resists, thats it, I stop. I then remove the pterigium (spelling?)or 'non living tissue' from the nail plate, with my metal pusher, leaving no 'straggly bits'.

The key is being very very gentle, try doing to yourself what you do to your clients, does it hurt??

If you have caused bleeding then you are either doing something wrong or are just being very heavy handed!

What were you taught on your training hun?

To prepare the nail or when performing a manicure, I apply cuticle remover, leave to work for a minute or so, then I push the cuticles back slightly, but I mean VERY slightly, and gently, with a rubber pusher, and as soon as the cuticle resists, thats it, I stop. I then remove the pterigium (spelling?)or 'non living tissue' from the nail plate, with my metal pusher, leaving no 'straggly bits'.
I don't mean to be picky but we push back the eponychium and remove cuticle from the nailplate not pterygium.
:hug:

If cuticle eraser is recommended for home care (as Angie suggested) then overgrown eponychium should shrink back quite quickly.

I don't mean to be picky but we push back the eponychium and remove cuticle from the nailplate not pterygium.

If cuticle eraser is recommended for home care (as Angie suggested) then overgrown eponychium should shrink back quite quickly.

i was gonna say i dont have any clients with pterygium either!!

Nail Diseases and Disorders

link for you francesXXX!!

Try using cuticle remover let it work for a minute then work it in with a metal pushie and remove the cutilce from the nail plate with a chisel - thats a fab tool, works the best for me when i do enhancements hth
xx

The key is being very very gentle, try doing to yourself what you do to your clients, does it hurt??

If you have caused bleeding then you are either doing something wrong or are just being very heavy handed!

What were you taught on your training hun?

Wasn't taught a great deal on my training I have to say!

Remove cuticle with metal pushie and trim to remove bits with cuticle clippers and try to catch any bits left with the three way buffer!

i put solor oil on the cuticle, let it set for a minute, then push back the cuticle with an orangewood stick.
any cuticle that stands up (off from the nail) i clip with nippers, staying away from the "meaty" stuff.

kathleen
My Nails Rock!

i put solor oil on the cuticle, let it set for a minute, then push back the cuticle with an orangewood stick.
any cuticle that stands up (off from the nail) i clip with nippers, staying away from the "meaty" stuff.

kathleen
My Nails Rock!

would you do this prior to enhancements...?

Oooh err Sandi, my mistake,

maybe calgel need to correct not only their dvd, workbooks and test papers, but the trainers too?? blimmin heck!

I do know what I'm doing though ( ha ha - beleive of that what you will after my last post!)! I did wonder why what calgel had said / labelled different parts of the nail differs from what I have learnt elsewhere! :irked: :irked:

I apply cuticle remover wait a few mins and push back with my metal pushie, i only ever use the nippers if there are any bits sticking up that I could catch with my file and cause the client to bleed, try not to nip the cuticle area as it only makes it tougher over time.

Rubber cuticle pushers are useless, IMHO.

There is a cool trick you can use here-

Apply Solar Oil to the cuticles, and then go back and add a drop of Cuticle REMOVER (not eraser!). The jojoba in Solar Oil helps grab the sodium hydroxide from the cuticle remover and really REALLY penetrate the cuticle, or non-living tissue.

I switched from a metal pusher to a tiny currette, and the difference had me bug eyed. I barely had to push, and then after doing some exfoliating motions in "c's" around the cuticle area, I was done. No flags of dead skin waving at me, nada.

I also want to clarify very quickly- we push back cuticle, which is non living dead tissue that has "hitched a ride" with the growth of the nail plate. The eponychium is living tissue, meant to be a waterproof seal to protect the matrix, or root of the nail plate. If you push back the eponychium, you break that seal, and also open up the matrix to bacteria. :) So don't push it back ;)

It does sound as if you are being a bit aggressive with your metal pusher. You may even be scraping up thin slivers of nail plate!! Do not 'dig' with it.

Never push back the eponychium further than it naturally wants to be pushed.

Remove any cuticle that remains with your cuticle nippers .. that is what they are for. Nothing should bleed as cuticle is non living.

I personally only use Creative Cuticle eraser for loosening the cuticle from the nail plate .. for the main reason that it works and I don't have to rinse it off .. I can't be bothered with all that spraying rinsing etc when it is not necessary with Cuticle eraser. But each to his/her own.

yes, i do this prior to enhancements.
when you use the scrub fresh, it removes any solar oil that is left behind after prepping the nail for fills or sets.

kathleen
My Nails Rock!

Thank you for all your replies :hug:. I am going to be much more gentle next time! I also agree with Geeg that I am digging in to the nail and removing some nail plate :eek:. I've got a client tonight who wants a french manicure so I will follow all the advice given!

Update on how I got on tonight!

Well I put some cuticle remover on my client and let it work whilst filing and after rinsing, gently removed the cuticle from the nail plate! Guess what - no bleeding, no raggy bits just little bits of dead skin to brush off!

I have to say I treated myself to a girlfriend buffer and solar oil and wow what a shine! The nailfresh I also purchased came in really handy for tidying up my smile line and I was really pleased with the end result of the french manicure! (And so was my client)! Thanks again for all your terrific advice:hug: .

I don't know if you are using the cuticle pushie you got from creative, but I found that the first 2-3 times I used it, it was like a razor blade, (this was also pointed out to us by my educator, and to go careful till the initial sharpness wore off) after that it was fine, and I wouldn't be without it, but initially it was very sharp and needed "worked in" iyknwim?

Latest posts

Back