Cuticle work?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scorpio34a

Reaction score
I'm starting up as a new mobile beautician and am just specializing in Mani/Pedi for now.
I've got my 1st 3 clients next week.
How far does everyone go with cuticle work?
I've read alot of people not cutting the cuticle, is this best just for salons?
Also I can't afford a mobile table just yet, do people just us other people's tables, but cover with towels etc.
I do have a massage couch, but I’m worried it maybe too big.
What is also a good polish to use to begin with?
I'd like to use OPI, as I think they are very good, but again seeing how the business goes before spending lots of money.

Last edited:
I think it depends on the cuticles, I usually push them back, but if they are thick I usually cut them with nippers. I don't take a table with me, I usually just use their dining table and cover with a towel. I'm not sure how some mobile therapists take manicure tables and such with them. I have so much stuff with me, I can't imagine taking a table with me too. hth :green:

I'm starting up as a new mobile beautician and am just specializing in Mani/Pedi for now.
I've got my 1st 3 clients next week.
How far does everyone go with cuticle work?
I've read alot of people not cutting the cuticle, is this best just for salons?
Also I can't afford a mobile table just yet, do people just us other people's tables, but cover with towels etc.
I do have a massage couch, but I’m worried it maybe too big.
What is also a good polish to use to begin with?
I'd like to use OPI, as I think they are very good, but again seeing how the business goes before spending lots of money.

Good luck next week.
Regarding cuticle work ... I go as far as it takes to remove all cuticle from the nail plate. Never cutting living skin is a rule both in and out of the salon. Leave the eponychium alone as far as cutting is concerned. You can trim hang nails or any skin that is already loose but you never trim back the eponychium.

Some Mobile techs do work on other peoples tables but I hope you are well insured! Cover up well.

I would do things differently ... I would have all my products first and look like a professional. I would never want to be without all the tools I need for the job right from the start. You don't have what you need and you will look like an amateur.

I'm just a little concerned that you would ask these important questions and not a week before you intend to start work! You should have all your ducks in a row by now. Good luck.

Wow, I just watched that video...who knew!!! :eek:

I'm pretty sure i know what i'm doing, just lack the confidence. I'm also worried about making mistakes etc.
I qualified as an itec beautician just over a year ago, i'm only charging a small amount of money at the moment.
I did warn the clients i still need practice and the price reflects this.
Also i've not had enough friends to practice on.
I've got pretty much all the equipment, just nervous on working with clients i don't know!
I've bought products from Capital to do luxury manicures etc and also designing Client record cards.
I'm really looking forward to getting my business going, but like i said just nervous.
Thanks for your replies so far :)

Just watched that video! Lol amazing! Just realised I've never properly removed cuticle lol :( x

well that was a fab video, given me loads of info about cuticle removal that i was never taught :(

I agree, great video.

Well it is CND education !! What do you expect? :lol: and it comes to you free of charge .. Your new years gift from me. :hug:

Cuticle Away is an amazing product for removing cuticle and nothing does the job better or more gently. 08452106060 if you would like to purchase Cuticle Away and the best surprise is that it is not expensive and it's a large bottle that lasts ages and ages.

A question if I may? I had a client who had lived in the middle East, for many years, she said they always cut her cuticles right back when she had her nails done (although I suspect some of the damage was actually her!) and when she came to me her cuticles were the thickest I have EVER seen in my life, I did say to her that this was because the more they are cut the thicker they grow BUT my question is, is there any way to put this right once Clients have got into this catch 22 situation? Thanks,Kx

Hi all,
I not meaning to hijack the thread :)

I'm doing my level 2 at the moment, but I do have a basic manicure certificate.

But my very naughty mum, has bitten her nails for years !!! And has really thick overgrown cuticles. I've been soaking them in hot oil,

But what would you geeks do? Cut the cuticle that lifts when it's been soaked or just keep pushing the cuticle back.

Sorry hope i can put this here

Thank you

Louise

Hi all,
I not meaning to hijack the thread :)

I'm doing my level 2 at the moment, but I do have a basic manicure certificate.

But my very naughty mum, has bitten her nails for years !!! And has really thick overgrown cuticles. I've been soaking them in hot oil,

But what would you geeks do? Cut the cuticle that lifts when it's been soaked or just keep pushing the cuticle back.

And @ stirthemud

Regular daily use of Solar Oil will shrink that thick cuticle so that it looks normal and tight to the nail plate. Trim it back and it will continue to be thick and ugly.

One also should really not be pushing and lifting that eponychium other than gently with your manicure tools. That eponychium is there to seal and protect the matrix from damage and infection. Loosening it and shoving it up and off the nail plate is too extreme. Again, watch the video above ... At no time do you see Holly ramming her tool into or under the eponychium. She cleans the cuticle from the PLATE .. She doesn't dig for it or push any further than the eponychium wants to go. This is the CND procedure that has been taught for years and it hasn't changed. using Cuticle Away has definitely made the procedure allot quicker though.

Last edited:
Well it is CND education !! What do you expect? :lol: and it comes to you free of charge .. Your new years gift from me. :hug:

Cuticle Away is an amazing product for removing cuticle and nothing does the job better or more gently. 08452106060 if you would like to purchase Cuticle Away and the best surprise is that it is not expensive and it's a large bottle that lasts ages and ages.

I'll second that. I've had a bottle of Cuticle Away for several months, have used it loads, yet it still looks like a new bottle! VERY inexpensive product, especially for how long it's going to last. x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay thank you very much @geeg.

I was told by my tutor at college to cut away any of the thick cuticle that lifts away from the nail plate.

Thank you for all the advice

Okay thank you very much @geeg.

I was told by my tutor at college to cut away any of the thick cuticle that lifts away from the nail plate.

Thank you for all the advice

Are you talking about cuticle or eponychium? I am talking about eponychium, part of the living tissue that surrounds the nail plate.

On the other hand, if the cuticle ... The non living skin cells that are stuck to the plate ... are loose and lifting then you can use your nippers to remove a stubborn bit.

Either you or your tutor or both of you :lol: are not clear as to what is cuticle (non living) and what is eponychium (living). That would not make either of you unique as I would say thar three quarters of nail techs do not know the difference either ... It is important to know. See my tutorial on perfect preparation where there is a clear definition.

You should never cut living tissue ... Never.

I'm fastidious with cuticles too, but I don't like the idea of a metal tool "catching" half way up the nailplate, often this can be caused by the tool being too sharp and digging in to the nailplate.
If anything, I will apply slightly more pressure when coming in the direction toward the free-edge (scraping forwards) rather than digging backwards.

I watched this video via the blog the other night, its a great reminder for me that it is just so important to prep the nail plate correctly.

In the past I always found that any lifting that was not down to a picker or an accident was usually caused by that sneaky hidden cuticle!

Such a great blog x

Great thread, loads of interesting info.

Joy x

I'm fastidious with cuticles too, but I don't like the idea of a metal tool "catching" half way up the nailplate, often this can be caused by the tool being too sharp and digging in to the nailplate.
If anything, I will apply slightly more pressure when coming in the direction toward the free-edge (scraping forwards) rather than digging backwards.

I agree with you Carl! Especially as the nail plate is slightly softer due to the effect of the cuticle remover.

However, for those that found this fabulous video an eye opener, the type of cuticle tool used and the angle of it on the nail plate. Depending on the 'blade' the angle must be such that it doesn't dig into the nail plate but glide over the surface. A good remover will soften the cuticle sufficiently for a gentle 'blade' (the term 'blade' being used loosely) to pick it up.

I always find it surprising just how much cuticle can be found on the nail even after a few days.

Great video Holly!

Latest posts

Back