Daily Mail Article - Brazilian Blowdry

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coops

Reaction score
I had my hair done two weeks ago at a salon with the Coppola Keratin Smoothing Complex. Before I went ahead with this treatment though I did quite a bit of research. I found that this system along with many other brands had been banned in Canada which alarmed me somewhat. Further research led me to an article which featured input from DOUG SCHOON where he contended that the Agencies involved had carried out tests for Formaldehyde in these products incorrectly which in turn had led to the bans. As Doug Schoon is a highly respected chemist within the beauty industry and on this site I was prepared to accept his finding and went ahead with the treatment and I am very very pleased with the results.

Campaign for Safe Cosmetics*:*Keratin hair treatments popular, but draw health warnings

Last edited:
I found out a while back about the products that had been removed and the reasons why. The one I use is 0.02% which is way under the 0.2% allowed amount.

I've have a number of clients that have had the treatment elsewhere in the past, they told me how much stronger the smell was and smokier in the salons. One complained hers didn't take as well as previous in the salon, now we know why!

I to did huge amounts of research before I began offering this service, and have changed my supplier a few times until I have been completely satisfied with all aspects of my service I am offering to my clients.

The Daily Mail have infuriated me as they were the main tabloid that hyped the Brazilian beyond belief, so much so I had to undersell it to avoid clients expecting way to much, and now they are retracting everything they wrote plus adding extra. Which yes is true if certain manufacturers, but not all.

I have already realeased a statement on my Facebook business page and will be following up on my website.

I was waiting for this to happen, I think a lot of us probably did. I even had my mum on the phone panicking ad I'd done hers at the weekend, funny actually as I'd gone through all the Formaldeyde stuff with her, then how it wasn't a straightened, her first words were of panic then " there's still a kink at the back!" what can I say if my own mother doesn't listen to me what hope is there???
Ok Rant Over!! Xx

By way if you google Rapex, followed by product name it will tell you if it's banned!

I found out a while back about the products that had been removed and the reasons why. The one I use is 0.02% which is way under the 0.2% allowed amount.

I've have a number of clients that have had the treatment elsewhere in the past, they told me how much stronger the smell was and smokier in the salons. One complained hers didn't take as well as previous in the salon, now we know why!

I to did huge amounts of research before I began offering this service, and have changed my supplier a few times until I have been completely satisfied with all aspects of my service I am offering to my clients.

The Daily Mail have infuriated me as they were the main tabloid that hyped the Brazilian beyond belief, so much so I had to undersell it to avoid clients expecting way to much, and now they are retracting everything they wrote plus adding extra. Which yes is true if certain manufacturers, but not all.

I have already realeased a statement on my Facebook business page and will be following up on my website.

I was waiting for this to happen, I think a lot of us probably did. I even had my mum on the phone panicking ad I'd done hers at the weekend, funny actually as I'd gone through all the Formaldeyde stuff with her, then how it wasn't a straightened, her first words were of panic then " there's still a kink at the back!" what can I say if my own mother doesn't listen to me what hope is there???
Ok Rant Over!! Xx

companies have been caught supplying 50 times more than the chemical legally allowed, 0.2% I thought was ok until it's been banned in parts of the world. Wonder how long it will be till it's banned in the UK. Canada have one of the most biggest scientific hair testing chemical laboratories in the world testing small side effects to PPD reactions and if Canada has banned it it defiantly is going to be a matter of time till The European Commission start looking into what is actually in a blow dry chemical. Also one of the chemicals that was taken out of hair dyes along with 33 others were banned here 4 years ago to meet with the EU rules has been traced in a blow dry chemical. Surprising that the loads of chemicals that were taken out of hair dyes 4 years ago were causing a mass rise in bladder cancer have been banned here. I think it's just a matter of time before it will get banned here.

Funnily enough I received an email from Kerastraight this morning and thought it strange. Then my 11.30 client bought the Daily Mail article in. They do have a very spiteful style of journalism don't they. I myself have stopped doing this service - not necessarily because of this but because of a scary outcome on one client. Stick to what I do best I reckon. Being a one woman show I can't afford to have the stock that you have to buy each time either. Just not worth it, can't charge enough to make anything on it to be honest.

Interesting to read about the Kerastraight product at the end of the article though. I am just too wary now.

Funnily enough I received an email from Kerastraight this morning and thought it strange. Then my 11.30 client bought the Daily Mail article in. They do have a very spiteful style of journalism don't they. I myself have stopped doing this service - not necessarily because of this but because of a scary outcome on one client. Stick to what I do best I reckon. Being a one woman show I can't afford to have the stock that you have to buy each time either. Just not worth it, can't charge enough to make anything on it to be honest.

Interesting to read about the Kerastraight product at the end of the article though. I am just too wary now.

I agree these certain products have to grow and we as stylists have to learn the good and the not so good about these chemicals as it could all go wrong so easily.

I received the email also as registered with them whilst doing my research.
I'm just annoyed with the Daily Mail for hyping bbd through the roof, whipping the British public into a frenzy then pulling the rug out from under them! Unfortunately the public will not know the difference from one brand to the other. Why would they, they rely and trust in us the hairdresser. At least Kerastraight have bothered, as far as I'm aware Global Keratin have not, has anyone received one?

We had the same email from kerastraight I contacted them the same day as we still had some of the older treatments left, they assured me this was still formaldehyde free but I still asked them to swap my bottles for the new ks complex and they have, can't fault their service A1 to say the least, also replaced all posters, promo material. They have also put data sheets for all their products on their website for EVERYONE to see/analyse

I had no idea Global Keratin was one of the products that should be banned I've been using it as I was told it was formaldahyde free!!!!!! I've had no problems at all with it and had very good results and no vapour etc when using it - has anyone else had a problem with it?

Everything that is printed in The Daily Fail, sorry Mail, needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. They are well known, in the science community, for their badly researched science. They like to scare monger and report ill informed 'facts'. Grrr!

There's good and bad in all hair products from shampoo to hairspray to keratin.

There's good and bad in all hair products from shampoo to hairspray to keratin.

When I read the article I just got more and more angry and was shouting, 'stop getting science wrong'. :)

Latest posts

Back