Daughter's Graduation nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovenails1

Reaction score
I did these nails on my 13 year old Daughter for her graduation.

I was really looking for a comment about the actual photo aswell, as I'm taking photos tomorrow on my model for a competition.

Let me know what I did wrong or right, thanks.

hi hun .. i would look at you free adges ... the shape needs to be crips and take to sidewalls in on a dew of them but i like the length and colour you have done well hun :) xxx

First of all i think they are quite good, but i think you can do better.
It seems like the free edge is not very staright looking a bit longer on one side that the other on some nails, also the sidewalls are not very streight and give the impression the nail is leaning to one side. Be sure when you file the sidewalls that you keep your file on the line of the natural sidewalls and perpendicular to the free edge. The apex is quite good on some nails but in other it seems a bit misplaced and the beam of light is slightly distorted as the rounded shape has some flaws.
The smiles are very good and you should be pleased with yourself. :)

Thanks girls. Actually when I uploaded the piccie, the nail to the left of her ring finger went wobbly, it's not like that in the original photo.

I will take on your comments and work on those points, thanks again.x

Hiya,
This is the first time Ive used the critique section so youre entitled to take my comments with a grain of salt! :)

First glance, I find the nails quite pleasing to look at but, for critique purposes on closer inspection I feel that the white is a little 'too heavy' for the size of the nails.
Looking at your line of light there seems to be a dip in both ring fingers, and the length of white seems marginally inconsistant on some nails.
I do think your smile lines could have been a little, and I do mean a little, deeper but they are nice & neat.

The photo isnt bad but the pose isnt the most flattering. The splayed fingers isnt doing your work any favours.
Hands placed on top of one another, with nails of both hands pointing outwards (fingers almost making a 'v' shape) is more flattering, or one hand lying straight with the other on top at an angle.
I always tell my model to imagine that there is a thin piece of card between both hands, so that she doesnt press her hands down too hard themselves.
There's a nasty colourcast on the picture giving everything an orange appearance & making your whites look 'dirty' ... did you take this in artificial light without a flash?
Id be happy to try & correct that for you if you like, or you might want to use your flash and diffuse by putting a piece of white fabric over it to soften and stop any glare & blow out.
Hth.

Exellent photo! Your smiles are also very good, infact overall the nails are great........If you want me to be really critical just a couple of the nails have slight mis shape to them compared with the rest. But that is all.

Keep up the good work!!

Hi Jayne, I can't comment on the photo quality as it's obviously not uploaded too well, but listen to Glo hun as she is a seasoned photo comp winner and I'm sure if you would like more help she will be more than willing.

Now to the nails! They look good and I think the photo is distorting them so if what I am saying is because of that then ignore! A few of them are slightly hippy so you just need to bring them in to give them a sleeker look. There are a few that your line of light is out which is emphasising that you apex placement is off, particularly on the 4 fingers to the right of the pic. But they look good and flush at the sidewalls and cuticle area.

However, iIf you really want critique of the apex then you really need side on pics and barrel shots. It is very hard to give a fair appraisal when you look down at the nails like this - a 3D image in a 2D shot is hard to judge, but even more so when posed at a not so brill angle!

I bet your duaghter was pleased though! Hope she had a fun time xxx

It varies quite abit between the individual fingers. The apex is off in a few especially the pinkies & ring fingers.
The pointer on one hand looks a bit hippy.
Some of the edges look a bit raggy.
I really like the smiles & the thumb looks great.

I agree with most of the comments made and most of the 'faulty' areas could be made 100% better with more filing.
You are definitely using too much product in both zones 1&2. That is why your 'line of light' is distorted ... this happens when you go so much finer in zone 3.

Look at the line of your daughter's eponychium ... these nails are begging (design wise) for an oval/almond nail which would look gorgeous on her. I know the young ones may want square square square, but THAT is the reason all of the free edges look 'fanned' and too wide, because her eponychium is very oval which makes the free edge much wider. This in turn makes it virtually impossible to make straight side walls that will compliment the square free edge line.

Think about this for competition. If you cannot make parallel and absolutely straight sidewalls to the eponychium ... then do not do square as your form or else find another model on whom you can create the perfect square from.

Lastly, the smile lines definitely lack that sharp clear definition between zones 1 & 2. You will only achieve this 'look' by tucking the product (by poking it with the end of your brush) back under the smile. Doing this ensures that no matter how thin you make the free edge, the smile will always be razor sharp. Good Luck. x

Thanks heaps for all your replies, this critique thing is cool.

Geeg, by tucking it in, can you explain this a bit more, and I agree that I should have done Jazzie's nails an oval shape, but do you think she would agree!!??:rolleyes:

Thanks again, I will post another one soon, my model comes thursday!

Most technicians swipe the smile line to get it even and curved ... OK .. nothing wrong with that as long as you dint wet the nail with monomer when doing it - pretty difficult not to actually but possible - swiping the smile line may make it look nice, but does not make it look sharp and clear.

How I do it and teach it to my competition winners is to reverse their brush with the brush hairs nice and flat, and then poke along the smile line - brush aiming toward yourself - so that tin effect you are creating a little cave under the smile line. This wonderful trick makes the line very very sharp and no matter how much you thin it in competition, it stays sharp. Does that help you to visualize?? If not let me know and I'll try again.

Yep, that helps heaps, I'm sort of doing that anyway, I'll work on it a bit more though, I get what you mean, so the pink sits under it and dosn't distort it.

I'll also try to get them thinner, thanks again.

Yep, that helps heaps, I'm sort of doing that anyway, I'll work on it a bit more though, I get what you mean, so the pink sits under it and dosn't distort it.

I'll also try to get them thinner, thanks again.
That's it chica!! Be more bold and get the edge really sharp.

hi

how do i view the pic?

Latest posts

Back