Decleor vs Dermalogica

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zooks

Reaction score
Hey Geeks

I have been researching several skincare brands to death and am looking for some real advice. I am newly qualified and am just putting into action a plan of renting a beauty room in a new salon opening up in my local town. Yes Im aware its a big risk being newly qualified, Im 27 years old and very driven not too young and nieve not to know this. The salon will open in a town where there is no other salon, we are a tourist town and will rely on tourists parting with their money but have the bonus that the nearest competition is at least 6 miles away. A fair amount when youre on holiday.

What I am looking into is the main differences between Decleor and Dermalogica.
I have heard all the hype and tried for myself dermalogica and enjoy using their products. I have heard theyre not the most supportive of brands when it comes to independent salons and this is where they fall down in my opinion. I have researched several threads on the price increases of dermaloica and no know the start up price for dermaloica seems to be around the 2k mark and decleor seems to be around 4.5. What are the physical differences? Anyone used both? I am struggling to decide. The start up is swaying me towards dermalogica as with a modest budget and as of yet no clientèle I think this is the cheaper option.

Let me know your thoughts guys, any one had the training the both offer? Are there massive differences in performance?
Thanks

I have used both, and others besides, in the past, but when it came to choosing a brand for my salon it was always going to be Decleor. I personally much prefer the products and the treatments, and my personal experience has been that Decleor have been a lot more supportive on a business level.

Personally I would say there is no contest.

I have used neither so can't judge on quality of product ... Only how they support businesses. I don't believe Dermalogica support salons very well now days. The market is flooded with suppliers, they dont list you on the website or send a rep I you don't spend enough every month. And they are allowing the brand to be massively devalued by so much online discount suppliers ... Who are authorised accounts.

My impression is that Decleor support salons and therapists a lot more.

Mat

Im sure Martin can clarify but don't Decleor have certain criteria in order to be a stockist, X amount of treatment rooms, shower facilities etc ? If thats still the case then Im guessing at the very least you would need shower access.

I trained in Decleor sometime ago and until just over a year ago was a Dermalogica stockist. Your right about Dermalogica they are very good at realing in you in then offer next to nothing after that unless you are one of there top salons. My personal choice would be Decleor as I love aromatherapy products.

From what you've wrote I think if you did choose Dermalogica then you would more than likely do well with it as you would have no competition.

I think the criteria depends from instance to instance as I don't have shower facilities or a large number of treatment rooms. The first Decleor salon I worked in had no showers either and only had three rooms. To be honest all the body treatments are capable of being carried out without showers - I do it with sponges, hot towels etc!!

In my honest opinion - I don't think the reps play any part whatsoever in how successful you can be. This is down to you and how driven you are to be successful. They might make a fantastic sales person - but this doesn't mean you do?

Dermalogica is a brilliant brand, and I Absolutly love the products. They actually work! Which is great for me as I've tried loads of brands on my skin over the years with no effecth. They also take products back if your clients arnt 100% satisfied which is great. I will be opening an account as soon as I get a salon.

Their training is also brilliant. AND FREE FOREVER whilst you use their products.!

Never ever used decleor so can't help there I'm Afraid.

But good luck with whichever you choose. Both are very prestigious brands in the skincare industry

Hope this eases your thoughts on dermalogica.

Xxxx

In my honest opinion - I don't think the reps play any part whatsoever in how successful you can be. This is down to you and how driven you are to be successful. They might make a fantastic sales person - but this doesn't mean you do?

I agree in part, but having a rep is not just about selling you products, it's about keeping the therapists up to date with upcoming launches so you can run down lines that are to be replaced, it's about educating the therapist in products tha are new, it enables the rep to train the therapist in how to use new products in house and so much more beside. Mine is always helping me to order constructively so I get things I need and get the deals where I get gifts with purchase to help selling. The also help with display and selling ideas.

Personally I think reps are essential to developing a successful business. But these are the things that are only apparent to salon owners and not necessarily to therapists using a product. When you have a salon and have an account, with your money on the line, you have a very differ outlook to an employed therapist. I personally think all the support you can get from a supplier is essential.

Also, regarding training, Decleor training is also free whilst you have an account.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the advice Guys. Im still pretty stuck at the minute, big decision to make. The salon consists of a hair studio out the front and one treatment room so does that mean tha Decleor would therefore not be interested? Unfortunately I will not have shower access but any treatments I have performed have always been done with bowls of water and hot mitts.

I agree in part, but having a rep is not just about selling you products, it's about keeping the therapists up to date with upcoming launches so you can run down lines that are to be replaced, it's about educating the therapist in products tha are new, it enables the rep to train the therapist in how to use new products in house and so much more beside. Mine is always helping me to order constructively so I get things I need and get the deals where I get gifts with purchase to help selling. The also help with display and selling ideas.

This is very true, but I might be a tad 'anti rep' at times :) had so many try force products on me that I just avoided them coming in. I can't speak for everyone, just hate pushy salespeople! Really takes the enjoyment out exploring new product lines IMO :)

X

ive had the odd dec facial and didnt rate their products at all did nothing but bring me out in an allergic reaction! im a dermalogica stockist an would say the same as every1 else with an additional note when you open up ure account all being well but then they constantly bring out new ranges ie since i opened up its been age smart, medi bac, clean start, shave, chroma white & then additions to the age smart ranges what they don't seem to realise is we cant stock all there products cos its thousands of pounds on your self if you only have the same skin types coming in through the door plus they bring summit new out an 1 of there existing products get the knock that do similar benefits. so all im sayin is if your stuck why not look at eve taylor or environ as eve taylor don't look that expensive an have very similar ethos as dermalogica after all they make dermalogica additives. An environ altho u now have to have the machine to supply their brand there is no minimum spend as i spoke to someone back in there team an have used their avst1 an noticed an incredibly difference hope you do well an good luck :smack:

Thanks for all the advice Guys. Im still pretty stuck at the minute, big decision to make. The salon consists of a hair studio out the front and one treatment room so does that mean tha Decleor would therefore not be interested? Unfortunately I will not have shower access but any treatments I have performed have always been done with bowls of water and hot mitts.

I don't have a shower or a large number of treatment rooms, but they allowed me to open an account. Unlike other brands Decleor support both salons and spas; but the only way to find out for definite is to contact them and ask for someone to come out and talk you through the company and range etc. Personally I like the exclusivity afforded by account only ranges like Decleor as you don't end up with a salon next door selling the same products!

I use Dermalogica and I'm a one man band! lol

I took it on in Feb this year after reading the very long thread about the price increase etc still decided to go for it!

i dont place an order every month and when i do as you can imagine its not a lot!

My rep comes every 4 - 6 weeks and I'm listed on there website, so i dont see why others are not!

i believe i do get support for them! eg. Samples reward points to get free marketing equipment, rep to support at event! event voucher- £50 worth of samples you get 3 of them a year!

When they do launch new products they do offers eg. buy 4 get a full sized sample one and the shelf talker strips and display sheet!

Every month they have a different offer on, 20% off prof size, 20% off retail!

So really i dont feel that un supported! Yes there rrp is quite expensive but people know that! its a good profit margin theres nothing stopping you giving discount? Also Dermalogica have a 100% product guaranty that if a client doesn't like a product they can return it to you and then you return it to dermalogica and get your money back!! so clients really like that! and the face mapping is great client support and client like it!

I personally like dermalogia because its simply! its in English and it easy to understand!

Ive never used Decleor so cannot comment on what they offer you :)

Any questions on what Dermalogica are like for us little business feel free to pm me x

Sorry if this was covered already but didnt have time to read all the posts.

The big thing that would sway me towards Dermalogica is that you can buy Decleor in regular shops and we salons cannot compete with major commercial shops.

I am a Dermalogica stockist and I have never had a problem with them EVER. My rep visits me often and brings a 'call bonus' (different things each time like Christmas boxes), she is always there when I need to do events, there are always special offers, you can ring them any time to for product information, they help you with complaints, the training is free and the trainers are the best I have ever come accross, Dermalogica sells itself and does what it says!

The downside is its so well known that they are flooding the market (but there is a reason for that), you have to talk to every client about online purchases but IMO, once you tell them they may have been tampered with, out of date, stolen, they don't buy off them and stay loyal to you. That's my experience anyway.

One other thing, I used Decleor in the past and I find it amazing for dry or senstive skins but don't find it good for other skin types.x

But Dermalogica can be found in shops, there's been threads about that on here before, as well as the pros and cons of products being available in shops. Personally I have yet to see the few John Lewis etc that sell Decleor sell it at knock down prices, it always tends to be about the rrp.

As for what skin types Decleor are good for, there's been more than a few posts on SalonGeek about how Decleor has helped oily and problem skins, which mirrors my own experiences with clients. Personally, when i worked with the range I reacted quite badly to several Dermalogica products, as did several of my clients, which is why I have never been overly enamoured with it!

Last edited:
Regarding dermalogica been sold in department stores, its actually sold in salons in department stores!

So clients cant walk in a just pick it up, you would do face mapping etc like in small salon/big salons/spa etc.

Dermalogica also have concept stores i think about 3 in the UK they dont do full skin treatments but will recommend your salon if you are near! then hopefully they will buy from you after that! it will also get people talking about Dermalogica in your area!

But Dermalogica can be found in shops, there's been threads about that on here before, as well as the pros and cons of products being available in shops. Personally I have yet to see the few John Lewis etc that sell Decleor sell it at knock down prices, it always tends to be about the rrp.

As for what skin types Decleor are good for, there's been more than a few posts on SalonGeek about how Decleor has helped oily and problem skins, which mirrors my own experiences with clients. Personally, when i worked with the range I reacted quite badly to several Dermalogica products, as did several of my clients, which is why I have never been overly enamoured with it!

There's been threads about the possibility of Dermalogica going into commercial shops but it hasnt happened yet (not in Ireland anyway) and I spoke to them and they said no way as they are a professional product and the reason they have made it this far is for that reason so IMO thats all rumours.

I guess its preference though. As you can probably tell, Im inlove with Dermalogica and so are my clients but I didnt find as good results with Decleor. I think if you are passionate about a product you can reccommend the ones you love and believe in so clients will also but if you try to sell something your not so passionate about the client picks up on that and thinks the product is just ok. Its all about the love I think :lol:

I use Dermalogica and I'm a one man band! lol

I took it on in Feb this year after reading the very long thread about the price increase etc still decided to go for it!

i dont place an order every month and when i do as you can imagine its not a lot!

My rep comes every 4 - 6 weeks and I'm listed on there website, so i dont see why others are not!

i believe i do get support for them! eg. Samples reward points to get free marketing equipment, rep to support at event! event voucher- £50 worth of samples you get 3 of them a year!

When they do launch new products they do offers eg. buy 4 get a full sized sample one and the shelf talker strips and display sheet!

Every month they have a different offer on, 20% off prof size, 20% off retail!

So really i dont feel that un supported! Yes there rrp is quite expensive but people know that! its a good profit margin theres nothing stopping you giving discount? Also Dermalogica have a 100% product guaranty that if a client doesn't like a product they can return it to you and then you return it to dermalogica and get your money back!! so clients really like that! and the face mapping is great client support and client like it!

I personally like dermalogia because its simply! its in English and it easy to understand!

Ive never used Decleor so cannot comment on what they offer you :)

Any questions on what Dermalogica are like for us little business feel free to pm me x

I would check with your rep if you still get visits after your first 12 months ?

It used to be an automatic 12 month listing on website and rep visits then after 12 months you have to order min £300 per month to remain on website and £600 to get rep visits. Im sure other stockists could clarify if this is still the case, as I mentioned above im no longer a stockist so they may have re-jigged the guidelines since then. Although having said that my friend still stocks them and gets the rep even though she orders less than £600 pm.

Dermalogica worked for me when I was salon based but when I relocated to my home salon as I only wanted to work part time it was a whole different ball game and thats why I ditched them. If I was still in the salon then I would possibly have continued to use them but I had to many issues in the end so who knows :wink2:

There's been threads about the possibility of Dermalogica going into commercial shops but it hasnt happened yet (not in Ireland anyway) and I spoke to them and they said no way as they are a professional product and the reason they have made it this far is for that reason so IMO thats all rumours.

I guess its preference though. As you can probably tell, Im inlove with Dermalogica and so are my clients but I didnt find as good results with Decleor. I think if you are passionate about a product you can reccommend the ones you love and believe in so clients will also but if you try to sell something your not so passionate about the client picks up on that and thinks the product is just ok. Its all about the love I think :lol:

Hi Suzanne,

Was flying out of Dublin Terminal 2 last Friday to London on a hen night, went into a pharmacy/shop/perfumerie called Glow (first shop in on the right) and low and behold the full dermalogica range on the shelf, this wasn't one of those Dermalogica Bars either it was just there beside all the other products. This is how it began in the UK too but now it's in department stores over there. Just want to let you know as they seem to tell people what they want to hear if you enquire about such things...

Sandy x

Thanks for all the replies Guys. It has been a massive help although left my brain slightly frazzled from info overload. Unfortunately for me the start up cost plays a major factor in this and from what I have read Dermalogica seems to have one of the lower costs and damn good training too by the sounds of it. I will be opening a salon in a tourist destination which mainly caters fro wealthy londoners and wealthy local residents who Im hoping wont mind paying the price.

The reps support will however be pretty vital to me as I will need help whilst promoting their range with it being my first place. I like the products and I would imagine with use should grown to love them. Could any of you lovely Geeks tell me whether there is a minimum term contract in terms of time or is it simply that you place a minimum order then once you have retailed this you can choose not to order more? Sorry for naivety, as I said Im new to this game. Any other advice is more than welcome.

Thanks Guys

Hiya, looking at your last post i think you seem to have pretty much made your mind up but just to let you know i use Decleor and only have one treatment room and no shower and that isnt a problem with them. It is a fantastic product with great results and very luxurious the only down side for me is that it is an expensive product and not everyone can afford to use it although you do get what you pay for.
I have never used dermalogica so can't comment on that one but good luck with everything.

Latest posts

Back