Depression

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissLou

Reaction score
Hi geeks, I just wondered if any of you have/do or know someone who is depressed or had been and how they deal with it without having medication or seeing someone such as a counsellor.

I hate to admit it but I feel this is my problem and has been for a long time. I'm trying to battle through it on my own as I'm ashamed and embarrassed of it but I do not wish to take pills or see anyone. I just feel I'm getting a bit drowned within it now and I wonder if anyone on here has some good advice.

Thank you xxx

Oh I'm sorry to hear you feel like this , my parents suffered with depression , my dad more so , he was prescribed medication which helped him obviously not what you want , maybe speak to your gp and see what is available , they can't make you do something you don't want too , you can't carry on lime this sweet , XxXx

Aw your poor parents, that must have been hard for you to deal with as the daughter. Aw thank you, I know it's getting a bit on top of me, I have been and she advised me to see someone or medication but I feel so ashamed I really don't want to. I'm in good health and there are a lot more ppl worse off than myself so I don't know why I feel like this it's so pathetic I hate it. Trying to ignore it but its always there! Grrr

How long have you been like this , I get days now and then where I feel so low but don't know why and its the worst feeling in the world because you can't , snap out of it I wish you all the best , maybe another geek has ideas on what could help you , let us know how you get on and there are plenty of people on here if you ever want to talk Xxx

Quite a lot of years but fiercely since 2010. I have managed to battle a ha bought of it off but it's still always there but it's getting bad again now. Like you say you just ant shift it can you. Frustrates me so much. I think positive, think how lucky I am compared to some ppl but it doesn't work, feel like such n idiot. Thanks for your advice and little chat even that helps :) thank you

I suffer with bi polar disorder and spent years on and off medication, denying I was ill and stopping the meds, ending up in hospital with panic attacks after the last unsupervised go at weaning myself off!

I am now on an even keel, I have 2 meds in combo that work well in tandem and keep me mainly well. Sometimes I can have bad days and avoid people but on the whole its good.

Noone can tell you what to do but my advice would be to take the doctors advice and if they think you would benefit from medication, try it and give it at least 3 months as it takes a while to settle.

Feel free to pm me or add me on FB (https://www.facebook.com/edenbeauty.brackley.7?ref=tn_tnmn) if you need a chat.

xxx

Last edited:
Hi. You really shouldn't feel ashamed of feeling depressed. Iv been suffering from depression, stress, social anxiety and a few other problems and iv had cognitive behavioural therapy and been on medication but im still battling with it. There are places that can help. Your GP will be able to help. If not go straight to see a councillor at your surgery and then they can advise of what steps to take next. It is more common and it's not something to be ashamed of and the more people that talk about it the better as people realise that it's something to be taken seriously xx

Sent from my GT-I9305 using SalonGeek

couldn't read and run, i have suffered with depression and anxiety for a few years, the hardest thing is asking for help, but you really should, if you can take that step you will feel better for it.

Depression is an illnesses, caused by a chemical inbalance in the brain, and the medication helps balance this.

You can't control this, like you can't control getting a cold.

your welcome to message me if need be x x

Sent from my GT-I8160 using SalonGeek

Mental Health - Mind, The Mental Health Charity - Mind

These guys do some great work and have free help and advice 24 hours a day.
Depression is not something to be ashamed of. Pretending everything is ok is though. Getting help and advice from trained professionals is imperative, and this is where MIND can help
xxx

Please don't be embarrassed. Many people suffer chronically from depression and anxiety and nearly everyone else will have felt depressed at one time or another. There is no need for shame.

Is it embarrassment that stops you from looking into meds or therapy or is it something else?

I don't have experience in this area, but if you ever want to chat I'm here. You are never alone when there is salon geek :) xx

Sent from my HTC One X+ using SalonGeek

Please don't be ashamed of depression. After years of pretending I was OK, I was finally persuaded to go and see my doctor and have since been on Citalopram. I didn't want to take medication for it, but it in the end they have really helped me, and if I miss a couple of days, boy do I know it.

I am currently having a bad time at the moment, I'm very low and feel like I want to hide under my covers in bed all day. I feel sad a lot of the time and I don't know why. I am really hard on myself when I shouldn't be and everything just builds up and builds up and it becomes too much. Then one day I will wake up and feel much better about things.

Try and talk to a counsellor or someone about it, it really will help. We are always here for you too. But never be ashamed of depression, more people suffer from it than you think. :hug:

I've had depression & I had medication to help I'm no longer on it and feel so much better then I did before. I have been told exercise is really good for helping also avoiding certain foods can help.

I have suffered with depression for many years and I have been admitted to hospital in the past, so I know only too well how awful it is. I've been through every kind of therapy and I'm a great believer in self help and positive thinking.

Please don't resist anti-depressants as they are a life saver and NOT addictive. After about three weeks of being on them, you'll feel the real you and you might only need to stay on them for several months but if you need to stay on them for life, so what! If you were a diabetic you'd have to take your insulin every day.

Set little goals for yourself and surround yourself with positive people and distance yourself from nasty and negative people. Don't listen to sad songs and don't watch sad films. Keep yourself busy and don't spend too much time alone thinking.

Go see your doc.........it's nothing to be ashamed of and you don't need to tell anyone else if you don't want to.

Thinking of you. x

Only skimmed the thread but please, please do not resist medication. My mum went through depression thinking she could 'do it herself' & didn't need pills, she's now got what I believe to be a personality disorder. I've grown to hate my mum for resisted medication as it's turned her into somebody I no longer know, it's heartbreaking. Maybe if she had taken medication it would never have gotten this far, it also starts affects people around you & there's only so much 'sorry, it's my depression' that people can take. Keep your best interests & Number One at heart *hugs*

Kim has knocked it on the head! Your not weak by asking for help, I suffered with depression for years and did nothing about it (I grow up with my mum and auntie relying on anti depressants) and didn't want to be like them. It wasn't until I had my son 9 years ago that I admitted something was wrong I had developed post natal depression I've learnt now after being off them for three years that it is mind over matter stay strong surround yourself with support and you will come out the other side. I just keep telling myself I have depression (under control) but my mum and auntie! Depression has them!

Go and see your gp mine was amazing x

Wow, I am quite overwhelmed at all the support on this…..thank you for sharing geeks, really is making me feel better already. This is the first time I have admitted out side my own head, I know I shouldn't feel ashamed but I do as I dont feel like I have the right to feel down/low/depressed as there really are so many ppl out there a lot worse off than me.

After reading someone said it was a chemical imbalance in the brain, that made me feel better as I think great, least it's not me being a drama queen, if you see what i mean.

I have researched foods, all natural ways to help with depression, I have taken up running again after being out for about 6 months with a bad knee, thats probably going to help soon. I am struggling a lot for money just lately and have lost a few clients which knocks my confidence even more, but I am trying to help myself by selling clothes on ebay (no takers yet :( ) and trying with the hairdressing to get some new clients.

I believe a lot of it is mind over matter but when i think I have tried and am trying everything to get past this and still its a constant battle i do wonder about the medication or a counsellor, i just really don't want to talk to a stranger face to face about this, I have no one around me i can turn to which is sad. I would prefer to just get on with it myself but i think after 3 years and still battling something has to change, especially after a geek said their mum was never the same for resisting the medication for a long time……

I'm going to go on a few of the links that you guys have suggested and see how that goes.

I am trying so hard, Im trying to join a few exercise classes but two main problems i come to are 1- i physically have no money to pay for it! and 2 when i do get the pennies to go i normally chicken out as i always have to do these things on my own and that little voice in my head pops up and i get paranoid i guess that ppl will look at me and think im odd for going on my-craziness! i know they wont think that and if they did, so what? but its there and i hate it so much :(

Thank you so much to all of you for your advice, stories and offering to chat, I appreciate it so, so much, you wouldn't believe how much.

Thank you millions xxxxx

I know a lot of geeks have said not to resist the medication which is good advice, i just wanted to add that my brother suffered with depression (to a very very serious stage) anyway he refused all medication because as far as he was concerned taking pills (drugs) got him in the mess in the first place. and by just talking about how he's feeling he has overcome so much and is doing just grand. Don't get me wrong, he has down days, but he talks on his down days, sometimes he just likes company. You've had an amazing response on here so if you feel you can't talk to anyone close to you I'm sure any of the geeks here will have an ear open for you.xxxxxx

I'm amazed at how many people suffer this terrible illness, other therapists and clients and its good to know you're not alone xxx

Do not be embarrased ever.

You need to get some help why struggle when eventually after meds or help you won't need to.Depression can do some very damaging and scary things to people who act or do things they would not normally do.With some depression it will just get worse over time the longer you leave it this may not be you but if it were me (I have been there) I would not be taking the chance.Nip this in the bud get some help.Sometimes people only need just that little bit of help and sometimes people need a longer length of time of help but which ever one it is the people have the same goal which is to get better.It won't happen over night but keep this in your mined that it will get better.

Please go get help.I wish you all the very best and please keep us updated.

Were all here to help and to chat to xxx

Latest posts

Back