Desperately need advice! Please :)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katkat2008

Reaction score
Okay, so I bought a spa a few months ago. Along with it came one girl who already worked there. She makes 50/50 comm. Anyways, the old owner was basically letting the place go cuz she didnt care anymore. She let the employee come and go and do whatever she wanted.

So....I pay 50/50 and supply EVERYTHING. When I took over, I said we all need to help out, such as do laundry, cleanup etc. that this was part of the job. Plus, I wanted some set hours from people - easier to book people, plus I wanted set hours for the spa - which the old owner didnt have.

Well, she does not like this. She said she doesnt want to do more work, or stay there more when she is getting paid the same as before. Its so hard. I really love her working there, but I feel like I am being taken advantage of. For instance, she is "trading", she will go get her hair done and tell the person she can come in and get a treatment by her done for free - um I AM PAYING FOR THE PRODUCTS!

I really dont know what to do. She is great with the clients, and it is VERY hard to find new workers where I live right now. She doesnt help out in anyway like clean up or anything. Oh by the way - she is only working about 35 hours a month because that is all she wants to work. So I set it up so she will be there the hours she wanted originally - but she doesnt want to be there if she doesnt have any clients.

I have spoken to the other bus. owners around here to see what they do, and they all do an hourly wage or rent their rooms. They say that she is making about double what everyone else does, plus works half the time they do, and their employees all help out.

GRRRRRRR

what to do??? :|

you in an akward position now hun as she has got away with it and now you are letting her as well.....

your the boss there needs to be ground rules if she's doesn't pull her weight she doen't get purks i.e her hair done

she has set hours or she can rent a space up to her?

she will see its worth her time staying employed don't let her walk all over you or you will never be able to change it.

a business needs stability to work and realiable staff i'm sure she would find it just as hard finding another job?

well...I am trying to not let her get away with it. Thats why I asked for advice :) Thing is, honestly if she does leave - I am worried I wont find someone else for awhile - ugh.

Oh well. I will be speaking with her this week. I am going to be writing down exactly what I want her to do, and that this is the way it is going to be.

It is hard though!!! I am new at this - and I just wanted to be sure I wasnt being in the wrong changing it all since that is how it ran for so long. But now that I am the owner, it doesnt matter how it used to run.

:)

I'd set out a contract stating hours per week, no bartering her services, what you want regards paying her (are you happy with the 50\50 or want to pay her by the hour).

Because it'll be an upheaveal for her, you could always say, as from x date these changes will take place to get her used to the idea. Instead of saying, from today this is what happens, you could say, from the 15th this is how the business will be run and these are the changes. Gives her time to get used to it the idea and less chance of her cracking the ****s and walking out. She could end up taking her clients with her if she leaves.

well...I am trying to not let her get away with it. Thats why I asked for advice :) Thing is, honestly if she does leave - I am worried I wont find someone else for awhile - ugh.

Oh well. I will be speaking with her this week. I am going to be writing down exactly what I want her to do, and that this is the way it is going to be.

It is hard though!!! I am new at this - and I just wanted to be sure I wasnt being in the wrong changing it all since that is how it ran for so long. But now that I am the owner, it doesnt matter how it used to run.

:)

It might also be worth thinkig about what you are willing to let her have.

eg- maybe you could tell her you don't mind if she trades services but it has to be after hours and she pays $xx for the products. It still works out a cheap hair do.

This way she'll be getting something to keep her happy.

good advice from everyone so far.

If you really want to keep this girl, then softly, softly. try and imagine how you would feel if you were in her position.

so draw out a contract, call a meeting, and go through it with her. State that if she wishes to trade the treatments, then she pays $10 for the products. Perhaps suggest that you will be bringing new staff in, so that it is fair to have a set contract with set hours and you understand that she only wants to work 35 hours a month, so therefore will have to bring other staff in.

Have a sickness policy, holiday policy, and also have it written what her role in the spa is, to include tidying up, etc.

If she doesn't like the new rules, then perhaps you could offer her another way of doing things, eg pay per hour or rent a space off you. but remember YOU ARE THE BOSS!

Set a date that you want it up and running.

Hun, you have already said, she is earning twice what everyone else is getting in your area, you are re acting instead of acting. If she's getting twice what she would anywhere else then she's not going to leave is she? she'd be crazy to leave because anywhere else she'd have to work for a living, and she knows it!!
So deep breath ask for a chat, sit her down with a coffee, no table between you, and explain to her that if she wants to do a trade then what are you the owner getting out of it? apart from a bill for the products she uses, tell her that much as you like her and admire her work, you really don't think you should be paying for her hair cuts, so in future if she wants to do this she must accept that you will deduct the cost of the products from her 50 50. Also that you have looked at the notes the last owner left you (yes you are fibbing but I call it 'calling her bluff' and you see that her agreement was to include duties in the salon and if she doesn't want to do them, its fine by you but that means she's doing less for her money so perhaps an adjustment form the 5050 to 45 50 is in order? Why am I so sure that she's pulling a fast one on you? because I have never heard of anyone in her situation who would not be expected to do clean up. The last owner let her get away with it and now its time for her to realise that the free ride is over. Nicely of course.
Also, that while the last owner didn't care about the business you do and the only way to build it up to something that will stay open and continue to give her 50 50 is to attract new business and that means she needs to be there even when she doesn't have clients booked so that you can take passing trade.
If she doesn't want to do it your way, then I wouldn't wait for her to walk out, I would look for her replacement now, that way if it takes a while to find someone, you're not left in the lurch and you never know, if she sees you have someone who attracting more clients then she gets she might get the message and start doing her share. Be up front about it, if she won't stay for passing trade, tell her, 'thats a shame because I have got to build the business up to stay open so I will need to find someone to fill the hours you won't do. Can you recomend anyone' don't forget the expectant bright smile when you say this.
Good luck hun remember Action not re action.

I can't give much advice to you that adds anything to what others have said HOWEVER!!! Make sure, whatever action you decide to take, that you are staying within the employment laws. If you have agreed to keep her on from her previous employer, many of her rights are carried over to you as her new boss. This may not be a problem if she is classed as self employed but it would be wise to check it all out before you proceed with anything.
Nick
X

Thanks Everyone :) I really appreciate all the advice.

I have actually been telling her this is the way it is for awhile. She just doesnt do it. For instance - She will just leave and close the place even though she is supposed to be there for another hour and a half grrr.

I am going to write it all out though and go from there :)

The really sucky thing is that since I have taken over the place - I have been advertising for more employees, but honestly where I live it is VERY hard to find people to work right now. I did have one girl who wants to work, but I honestly dont think I would want her working for me. I guess that if worst came to worst and the old employee left, I could try the other girl out and see how she does :)

Okay, so I bought a spa a few months ago. Along with it came one girl who already worked there. She makes 50/50 comm. Anyways, the old owner was basically letting the place go cuz she didnt care anymore. She let the employee come and go and do whatever she wanted.

So....I pay 50/50 and supply EVERYTHING. When I took over, I said we all need to help out, such as do laundry, cleanup etc. that this was part of the job. Plus, I wanted some set hours from people - easier to book people, plus I wanted set hours for the spa - which the old owner didnt have.

Well, she does not like this. She said she doesnt want to do more work, or stay there more when she is getting paid the same as before. Its so hard. I really love her working there, but I feel like I am being taken advantage of. For instance, she is "trading", she will go get her hair done and tell the person she can come in and get a treatment by her done for free - um I AM PAYING FOR THE PRODUCTS!

I really dont know what to do. She is great with the clients, and it is VERY hard to find new workers where I live right now. She doesnt help out in anyway like clean up or anything. Oh by the way - she is only working about 35 hours a month because that is all she wants to work. So I set it up so she will be there the hours she wanted originally - but she doesnt want to be there if she doesnt have any clients.

I have spoken to the other bus. owners around here to see what they do, and they all do an hourly wage or rent their rooms. They say that she is making about double what everyone else does, plus works half the time they do, and their employees all help out.

GRRRRRRR

what to do??? :| What about trying a beauty agency?, there is lots, of people who would love the opportunity, and at the end of the day you get to keep them on or not.

I wish we had something like a beauty agency here lol. That would be a great idea. Honestly I had never even heard of one before, and they definately dont have anything like that where I live :(

You might find that peopple are willing to travel/move for a good job. I can't hurt, just have a search for some canadian ones. Also advertise in your nearest big town.

This person is holding you to ransom!!Basically she knows you dont do Beauty,she knows the clients and you are new,and terrified to lose her.
If there are other salons/spas in your area-headhunt their staff.
Or take on a junior and train her in reception ,clearing up etc duties,and if she shows promise send her on some training courses.
Or advertise in the nearest large town for a therapist,and pay over the normal wage for her to work one or two days per week.
Having some one else good working there will give you some security,and some confidence(balls-sorry)to deal with this girl.
If you really feel that she is an asset to your business and you want to keep her,fine,dont get all resentful and petty as to what she has done-( although i think you are a Saint to put up with her!!!!!!!!) move foward ,lay down your new plans,for your business,and ask her for her advice and ideas on ways to grow .She may surprise you.

Actually, I have asked her if she has ideas etc. Basically she is great with the clients, and that is it.

I am going to be speaking to her today. I am going to tell her, I love having her here but that she has to realize that I am the owner now so things are of course going to be different than before. I am still willing to work with her (around her job and kid), but that she needs to help out more and be willing to work some set hours. In order to grow the business so that we can all make more money (which she constantly says she wants to work more - but never makes herself available) that she is going to have to be here those set days. I will also say that I will work with her on those set hours, but that she has to understand that if she isnt busy when she is here, she can make some phone calls, etc to get herself busy during those times.

I am going to explain that we have doubled our business since I started because of me paying for advertising, doing walk arounds with flyers/brochures etc. But that in order to keep us busy we all need to chip in with cleaning etc - and that is another thing she can do between clients.

:) If she leaves - honestly - oh well. I have come to realize that yes, I will lose a few clients - but that I have gained A LOT since I have started, and that I am willing to bust my butt at walking around with more flyers etc.

I am going to post a new thread to about advice on bringing someone else in.. :)

Thanks you guys! xoxox I really appreciate all the advice!

Latest posts

Back