Did it all just 'click' for you

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RachFace

Reaction score
Im wondering if everything just clicks into place and suddenly you know what you are doing lol. How long did it take before you felt confident in l&p??

I know it takes an immense amount of practice and years of experience to become a great nail tech and that the learning process never stops but I still feel like I dont really know what im doing with l&p. I trained with CND in May and love it but i had to go back to my 'other' job in July and my friends who were my models arent having it anymore as none of them actually need enhancements and were just doing it for me. They all want Shellac now lol and I am much more confident with brisa despite not having half the practice. So im just not getting the practice I need and feel less confident now than when im qualified. Im thinking of booking a 1:2:1 to get some advice on my technique but i feel like ive kind of lost it with mix ratio and where i felt like i was getting better and better all the time, now ive got a much better idea of how things should be so im less and less happy iyswim. I can hand my notice in end October so am currently deciding whether i should just go for it (heart says do nails, head says stay where steady income is despite not being happy) and set up my own business but I am just not confident charging for l&p but on the other hand unless i get out there and advertise and actually DO IT, im not going to improve am i.........

Sorry turned into a bit of a ramble, but I guess i just wanted to hear stories of how it all clicked for you? Was it purely hours and hours of practice or did a follow up class really help you?

I soooooo want to be an excellent nail tech and do all the training I can, but i feel like I need to get this sorted before I go further.......

Edited to add - I would absolutely love to spend some time watching another nail tech work and helping them out - i know i should just ask locally (tho not many CND techs), whats the worse that can happen, but i wondered if it wasnt the done thing as I would then become their competition. I am desperate to lean and get better x

Gosh Rachael I know where you are coming from hun I really do but it will happen. I only did my daughters to start with and when they didn't want it done I got my nail trainer out!! I practised on myself and that IS hard but I would be doing something one day and it would be rubbish and I would get so disheartened but the next time I did it, hey presto it all clicked. This still happens to me now and I have off days - I am sure it is normal. I have only just started taking clients after 2 years since qualifying and I still worry!! I am a terrible critic and am never really 100% happy with what I do but I think this spurs me on and on. I still want to learn more but money and time won't allow this at the moment. Just keep at it, challenge yourself and get your nail trainer out!!:) How far is Hemel Hempstead I wonder? I would love you to do my nails!! :lol:

Last edited:
Have a look at my question on the post below this one, the last page,, kinda might get an Idea. xx

Have a look at my question on the post below this one, the last page,, kinda might get an Idea. xx

Wow Katie thats very impressive and exactly what i would like to do !!! I completed Signature 5 in May/June, Brisa in July, Shellac in August and im doing Bio sculpture training in October! L&P is my massive weak spot and I would love to do 121s and masters classes but worried im just not good enough yet. You have inspired me to do them tho! I think im gonna have to stop feeling sorry for myself and get on the trainer hand every night (if i dont have an appointment - i do nails in the evening after work, once kids are asleep) and be brave enough to book a 121 and then enhancement rebalancing/lift prevention.

im wondering how long it would take me to get to Manchester Academy lol, id love to have some time with Julia :)

I would love to do 121s and masters classes but worried im just not good enough yet.

Go for it !
something Geeg said to me might help you.... she said some thing like , your not suposed to already be a master its for them to make you into one thats what the classes are for :)

Gosh Rachael I know where you are coming from hun I really do but it will happen. I only did my daughters to start with and when they didn't want it done I got my nail trainer out!! I practised on myself and that IS hard but I would be doing something one day and it would be rubbish and I would get so disheartened but the next time I did it, hey presto it all clicked. This still happens to me now and I have off days - I am sure it is normal. I have only just started taking clients after 2 years since qualifying and I still worry!! I am a terrible critic and am never really 100% happy with what I do but I think this spurs me on and on. I still want to learn more but money and time won't allow this at the moment. Just keep at it, challenge yourself and get your nail trainer out!!:) How far is Hemel Hempstead I wonder? I would love you to do my nails!! :lol:

Aw Kim, you sound just like me lol. Your nails look fab tho on your fb group - you put me to shame!

I was watching the CND video tutorials yesterday and they make it look so easy and the consistency just seems so different to when i do it. Gonna do lots of practice over next few weeks and see if I feel any more confident then. Id love you to do my nails Kim, loved your fb group, Youre in Horley arent you, not that far haha :) x

I totally say go for it, I threw myself in the deep end, if i never had clients I sat with my nail trainer. Perfect practise, learn your weakness and overcome it, be honest and self criticise your work, learn how to combat problem nails, etc read books get magazines, ask questions be ambitious and above all believe in what you do and the products you use, have passion for what you believe in and have the guts to go out there and get it:!::!:

I found I am amazed at how much the masters route has made me a better tech, through knowledge and practical my work has improved tenfold. Julia moran is an unbelievable person, she has inspired me to make future for myself in the Nail industry, along with salon geek.

Good luck, and go get em :)

I know how you feel, but if you really want this, you will continue. I have struggled, spending lots of hours with my nail trainer and still turning out rubbish nails:irked:. I had been told what my major flaws were, being too heavy handed and using too much product. So for the past few months, I have only been doing Shellac and Minx, as like you I did not feel that my nails were up to being charged for. Last week I picked up my nail trainer again, as although i know I can go down the route of Poppits, I wanted to persevere. When I started practising again, I noticed that my nails were sooo much better. I believe this was because using Shellac, I had to use a lighter hand, and less product, and this in turn has helped me to create a better nail. Now I will happily charge for nails, they may not be the best, yet, but I have seen a lot worse lol. So I guess what I am trying to say, is maybe give it a rest for a while, so you don´t continue to frustrate yourself. One to one training I would say is a must, as the educator can identify your flaws, and explain what to do to correct this. Good luck in this :hug:

I wrote a long reply earlier and lost it when it logged me out grrr......

Thanks ladies, I am going to arrange a 121 i think and take it from there. I have had a break from l&p of a couple of months and that is why i feel ive gone so far backwards but I also think i am much more knowledgeable now on how nails should look etc so im a harsher critic. Also the fact that i ruined my brush didnt help and i dont think it was helping with the mix ratio so im using a new one now. I definitely need someone to watch me and tell me where im going wrong, then i know what to work on to improve. I dont think my bead sizes are right so im struggling to form an decent apex in the right place (it seems to be just above the smile line rather than in the stress area).

Thanks for all your advice and reassurance. Smartypantz - im glad you feel happy to do L&P now and hope I can turn the same corner xxx

Latest posts

Back