Did you do 'open all hours' when you first started out?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redsadie

Reaction score
Hiya :)

Just wondering really as I have a room in a hair salon and my initial opening hours are going to be Thurs & Fri evenings and 9 - 2 on Saturdays with between 2 & 4 appointment only. I didn't want to go mobile (for my back as well as my sanity :green:) so do you think this is enough? I work school hours at another job atm and am intending on reducing this once I become more 'in demand', whenever that'll be!

So do any of you work evenings or not any more? Is this all you do or are you open during the day too? When did you decide that you were able to go 'full time' as it were?

Thanks for any replies :)

Sarah. xx

P.S. Those who work evenings, what do you do for dinner?!! xx

I am just moving from home to my first little studio and I will be opening all hours. I work full time and work evenings and weekends at present and that will continue until I change it.

When I first worked in a salon 12 years ago I went straight into full time work as I was employed. However, when I first went self-employed in a clinic about 6 years ago I started off doing evenings & Saturdays until I built up a client base and them eventually ditched my employed work altogether (took about 6 months). I've recently opened up my first clinic of my own & have gone straight in Tuesday to Friday 9.30 to 5.00 & Saturday 9.30 to 1.00 and have been nearly fully booked since I opened the doors! I only ever do the odd evening appointment, and that's by appointment only as I'm not that keen on lates.

Hiya ! i do work evenings as a few of my clients work during the day i would rather do this than weekends but it doesnt always work out like that ( ive just done 4 weekends in a row ) As for dinner my husband is the cook in our house ;-) lucky me xxx

I am home based and mobile. As I have a younger child at school I don't actually advertise my opening times so that I can be more flexible. During school holidays I only do daytime appointments at home, not mobile but I am prepared to work Mon-Fri evenings either at home or mobile because hubby can look after the kids. So far I have managed to avoid working at the weekend except for the very occasional emergency nail repair (I make them come to me!).

I do try to give the impression to customers that I am very busy and unless they book their appointments well in advance I can't guarantee the slot they want. It does seem to be working - all my regulars book their next appointment before they leave and I feel less stressed knowing what I'm doing for the next couple of weeks.

I'm open from 8 in the morning until 10pm every day, including weekends. My salon is at home, so I don't get passing trade. My clients love the fact that they can come virtually anytime; it gives me the edge over the local competition. That, and the free private parking!

I work from 2 places so divide my time.

Room 1 Mon, Tue, Fri
Room 2 Tue, Wed, Thur, Fri, Sat

I work in school hours most of the week, ie 9.30-3, but do a late night at each venue.

I take a sandwich or wait until I get home, and have beans on toast or something like that.

I'm open from 8 in the morning until 10pm every day, including weekends. My salon is at home, so I don't get passing trade. My clients love the fact that they can come virtually anytime; it gives me the edge over the local competition. That, and the free private parking!

Blimey! Are you busy all those hours or do you get some time off for good behaviour, lol! :)

I work from 2 places so divide my time.

Room 1 Mon, Tue, Fri
Room 2 Tue, Wed, Thur, Fri, Sat

I work in school hours most of the week, ie 9.30-3, but do a late night at each venue.

I take a sandwich or wait until I get home, and have beans on toast or something like that.

How do you work this hun? I'm interested as I have my room in my friends salon but there is interest from a local gym for me to rent a room there as well. I can't envisage lugging everything from one site to another! That's the reason I decided not to go mobile :green:

Thanks for all the replies so far :hug:

hi all,i am home based and only work in the morning between 9 am and noon only sunday afternoon,and at night by appointment only,and never on a saturday take care minetta

hi all,i am home based and only work in the morning between 9 am and noon only sunday afternoon,and at night by appointment only,and never on a saturday take care minetta

Thanks for that Minetta :)

Just one question if you don't mind? Is this your full time job?

Thanks

Sarah. xx

The salon i work in is open 7 days a week (can pick & choose days though) I normally work 6 days....... Just starting out and it is very hard work and long hours....

Im hoping to get down to 4 day week eventually lol

The salon i work in is open 7 days a week (can pick & choose days though) I normally work 6 days....... Just starting out and it is very hard work and long hours....

Im hoping to get down to 4 day week eventually lol

It is very hard work in the beginning.... and for a long time thereafter, but you have to choose what's important to you...when I opened my first salon 10 years ago, I worked 6 days doing nails and 1 day doing the cleaning, washing and accounts for the business. Evenings (what was left of them) were spent organising or discussing the business:eek:

I ended up with the largest and busiest nail salon in Scotland:) Fantastic!!!!! But not everyone would want this for themself, so my advice would be to decide what would be your ultimate goal in 5 years and take steps to make that happen:hug:

HTH

hi sarha,yes and i'm a mother with a part time husbane as with as figure skate coach for my daughter alk soom minetta

I will be renting a room in a hairdreser in September and I am planning to work only 3 days: Wednesday, thurs and Friday. Wednesday and thursday 10-8, friday 9-7. I am 2 young children and my husbanbd travels a lot!
I have been working nearly every single wek ends for the last years and my family has really suffered from it and i have decided to sacrifice my income (althought as self employed i should be earning more than what i earn as employee). it just depends on your goal!
gaby

When we took our last salon over we stayed with the hours of the previous owner at first - then we thought it might be worth opening earlier in the morning to catch the mums coming from the school run and also tried late nights but to be honest all in all it didnt really increase the customers they just came at different times.

It is very hard work at the beginning until you make a name for yourself and if you are doing all the hours by yourself it is very tough! but dont let it get to you- you will find out how busy you are and how many bookings you are getting!

Once you have a client base of returning customers it is also easier to ask them if they would come more often if you had different hours etc and you will be able to hear from the calls you are getting when customers are able to come - if most of them are working in the day they would appreciate later appointments.

I think if you want to make your business a success you have to be willing to take it heads on at first and put in what you can to give it your best shot and I am sure you will not regret it!

Well we opened ours nearly two months ago and we work each day (except Mondays) but offer late nights each night by appointment only. You will prob get a feel for what your customers want anyway and you can always change your hours to suit them. When customers ring up for an appointment we always say, when are you looking at booking/when is convenient and they generally say on an evening on such and such day etc. I only live five mins away so its easy for me to bob home and then go back for appts so I suppose it depends aswell how far away from the salon you are. Hope that helps xxxx

Latest posts

Back