Difficult clients - how to deal with them professionally?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a regular client booked in for 2.15 on Good Friday. I waited til 2.25 then called her, no answer. So i text her saying, "hi, your appointment was 2.15 today, are you on your way? Please let me know."

10 minutes later I get a text saying, "Any appointments tomorrow?"
Fuming wasnt the word! She hadn't even apologised that she wasn't there or given a reason. I couldn't reply for 30 mins. It was good friday too! People wanted her appointment and I had turned them away.

I replied with, "no." then she asked me how much it would be just for lashes instead of the other 3 treatments she was meant to have. I ignored it. I don't need clients like that, regular or not!

Wow! Just....wow! I am so shocked at how someone could be so rude! I really don't even know what to say! :eek: I hope she doesn't bother you again.

I have a cancellation fee I have yet to use it..... All my clients are regulars and if they let me down or forget its usually genuine, sometimes I have the odd client that does it quite often and I get really pissed off and this next time I am making them leave a deposit and I will retain it if they miss there next appointment but I'm too soft and worry about loosing the client as I usually welcome the 15 minute break as I tend to book myself back to back without any breaks again as I never turn clients away and bend over to squeeze clients in, hopefully this Will become the case for you and you too. The early thing maybe 25 was because your close friends an they wanted a natter first? If my clients are early I have a waiting room I give them a mag and they sit there if a client is already at my house when I return from taking my daughter to nursery an there like 15 mins early I just mouth 10 mins you then do they sit it the car. Friend clients are the worst! X

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh dear, I'm getting worried now, I hope clients like this aren't the norm. Like you *Jess* I'm literally opening in the next few days and am worried about this too.

Family can be a pain though, I went to my MIL's last week as we were visiting anyway and she said she'd like her lashes tinted and lifted. She also said she's like her daughters doing too. So I said (despite this being £35 for normal clients) that it will be £15 each as they are family and my MIL does babysit my son.
Anyway got round there, my MIL wants her brows tinting and tidying too and my sister in law doesn't want her lashes doing (as she can't afford it) but wants her brows tinting and tidying instead.
So I was like , OK, that's fine, a bit annoying but whatever.

So did the treatments was putting everything away and my MIL comes over with £15 and that's it, my Sister in law gave me nothing and my MOL gave me nothing for her brows. Gave it to me like it was normal, and looked like she begrudged giving me £15 a bit.
It was just annoying, because they could have a least given me a couple of quid for the brows.

I'm going to say something next time like £5 for the brow tidy and tint which is still way cheaper than my normal prices. You learn from your mistakes.

Oh god, I can't read any more of this, I'm getting really wound up.

For clients that tend to be a little unreliable and like to change appts at the last minute, I send a text or telephone them the day before or early that morning to confirm the time and treatments and explain that you're fully booked up over the next few days so need to know NOW if there are any changes.

Even for new clients, a nice gentle reminder of the appt time and "looking forward to meeting you tomorrow" never goes astray.

Oh dear, I'm getting worried now, I hope clients like this aren't the norm. Like you *Jess* I'm literally opening in the next few days and am worried about this too.

Family can be a pain though, I went to my MIL's last week as we were visiting anyway and she said she'd like her lashes tinted and lifted. She also said she's like her daughters doing too. So I said (despite this being £35 for normal clients) that it will be £15 each as they are family and my MIL does babysit my son.
Anyway got round there, my MIL wants her brows tinting and tidying too and my sister in law doesn't want her lashes doing (as she can't afford it) but wants her brows tinting and tidying instead.
So I was like , OK, that's fine, a bit annoying but whatever.

So did the treatments was putting everything away and my MIL comes over with £15 and that's it, my Sister in law gave me nothing and my MOL gave me nothing for her brows. Gave it to me like it was normal, and looked like she begrudged giving me £15 a bit.
It was just annoying, because they could have a least given me a couple of quid for the brows.

I'm going to say something next time like £5 for the brow tidy and tint which is still way cheaper than my normal prices. You learn from your mistakes.

oh my gosh, this is actually terrible! I haven't had any of my in laws ask me to do any treatments yet but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't even think of doing this to me!

My immediate family gets all their treatments free but only cause I owe my mum and my sister doesn't trust me enough doing her beauty treatments :rolleyes: she doesn't really trust me with anything which is lovely for your younger sister! She hasn't been a passenger in my car for about a year and a half!

Ah well, you can't win them all!

I do the texting with new clients too, we are only human and can tend to forget things!

Leanne
X

oh my gosh, this is actually terrible! I haven't had any of my in laws ask me to do any treatments yet but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't even think of doing this to me!

My immediate family gets all their treatments free but only cause I owe my mum and my sister doesn't trust me enough doing her beauty treatments :rolleyes: she doesn't really trust me with anything which is lovely for your younger sister! She hasn't been a passenger in my car for about a year and a half!

Ah well, you can't win them all!

I do the texting with new clients too, we are only human and can tend to forget things!

Leanne
X
It's annoying.
I think because I used to practice all my treatments on them when I was a student they think it's normal and fair to give me a pittance but I've started my own business now they don't see that. I'm gonna just tell them next time. I didn't know what to say last time, as they are really nice normally and I felt bad incase they were mistaken.

I know it's not a good thing to say, but after reading all these, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has nightmare friends. :wink2:

I actually got a message from one of these girls this afternoon, (the one that had her tan done somewhere else) thanking me again for the work I did on them that day, and that her and her sister really appreciated it. I was like :eek: hehe. My first thought was "oh god, I wonder if she has seen my whinge on SG!!" I was so panicked! Then I realised, how on earth would she know about SG - she is not in the industry. Still - perhaps having my name as my username was not such a good idea... :lol:

All my family get their stuff done for free - my Mum because her and Dad helped pay for a lot of my training years ago, and my sister because she is a hairdresser, and therefore cuts my hair for free. I have done the odd brow wax on the odd aunty, or cousin, and they always offer to pay, but I refuse, as it's generally a once off thing - if it was a regular occurrence however, I would charge, but at "mates rates".

Latest posts

Back